• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    I waited until I hit 73 to start getting fat.

Ye ole body gave up the ghost, (ruined shoulders, 'thanks free weight training', knees, back) to start getting fat...now, I'm probably 30...maybe 40 lbs overweight after a lifetime in the obsessive pursuit of fitness.

I was in almost Olympic shape for my entire adult life.

Now, I'm way past 73, and slowly getting fatter (and don't gas) but, never fail to carry a gun whenever I'm outside or go anywhere.

So what's my point: Getting fat ain't no excuse for being unarmed.

As has been mentioned: Stop expecting comfort when carrying.

About the best comfort you'll find in comfort when carrying is to get an OWB holster that fits well or get a get a wee-tiny gun for pocket carry.
    Venture Surplus ad

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    <>

The most comfortable rig I ever tried is a S&W Scandium J-frame in a GLOCK ”Scout” IWB @ 3:30 - 4:30.

After trying several aftermarket grips & grip scales, went back to the original S&W black “rubber” panels.

Since you are in Texas, w/ a “CL”; you could OC most places.

I advise all new to CC to “start small’’ so as to not get discouraged; like you are now.

For instance, a P3AT in a good horsehide shirt pocket holster or in an Uncle Mike’s “sticky” pocket model.

Remember that ANY gun in an emergency is better than your finger going “Bang-Bang”. . . . .

Good Luck !

leVieux

<>

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Every one of us that carry ended up with a box of holsters that was uncomfortable, bulky, didin't fit right, etc... soon, you will find one that suits you. When you do, sell the leftovers... I still save all the bags the holsters come in...
    <>

Sigh, by now, I have 2 or 3 “holster boxes”.

And, that’s after giving away one boxfull to GK’s & Nieces.

<>

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Right now I have a Walther PDP 4“ compact and a Springfield Echelon. I admit the Walther is a bit fat for a compact but previously I had a Springfield XDS Mod 2 and even that little thing bugged the crap out of me. I recently bought an Aliengear Cloak Tuck holster thinking it might be more comfortable than a regular Kydex type but that thing is a real pain in the butt. It’s frustrating ordering all these different holsters and none of them working out. Maybe I need the old Walther PPK and just stick it in my pocket. Lol
    Pocket pistols are not a bad idea but they do depend on the design of the pocket of your pants. Wearing a belt & cinching it down always sucked in my mind, but I did do it for years.

Now that I'm a big fat boy I refuse to wear belts. Bib overalls have the added weight distribution of you shoulder straps. I recently bought a used Kramer pocket holster from another member. He even comment when I put my Glock 27 into it & then my pocket. BDU pockets work good for pocket holsters but not everyone wants to wear them everywhere.

I have a GI duffle bag full of holsters from many years of wearing a gun. Open carry IMHO offers better options, but I don't open carry in most places.

alterspaces

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2024
    Corpus Christi
    I also agree that holsters are bulky and uncomfortable. I only plan on pocket carrying at the most, but even those are cumbersome esp if I'm running. So for the most part, I'd agree that they're impractical, but I got my LTC for the same reason as I bought guns. It was not in my thought process that I'd use these for defense or fun, those are just bonuses. I mainly got them to exercise my 2A rights, kind of like a person who registers to vote, but doesn't like either candidate. It also gives me peace of mind to walk around carrying in my pocket if I ever do decide to. I do it maybe twice a month, not often, but when I do, I know at least I won't get in trouble for having it. If you truly feel that way about having taken your LTC course, the only thing you can do is just treat it like an experience, and put that memory away and move on, back to things you enjoy doing, such as not carrying. 99.9% of people don't carry and it's totally fine to just do that.

So far, I'd have to say that LTC offers a few fun perks, not super significant, but perks nonetheless.
    -you can travel to states with reciprocity and you don't have to worry about getting in trouble if you happen to have a gun with you.
    -I've found that showing them to a police officer during a traffic stop makes them more friendly.
    -and today I made my first purchase with LTC and the FFL transfer was much more convenient than usual. Took only 5 min when it usually takes 20-30 min.
    -other people have stated on this forum that they feel more comfortable doing private party transfers if the recipient has an LTC

I know these are not the perks you were hoping for, and I believe your complaints are all valid. You have to be really convicted in self-defense and protection to go through the inconvenience of carrying to make full use of your LTC.

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    I don't like extra weight and mass on my belt, so I lean heavily toward pocket carry and shoulder holsters. I also like wearing a belly-band type holster high on my chest under a shirt. Kangaroo Carry and Kat-Luca do well for this.

Don't be afraid to try "unconventional" carry methods....especially ones that the "experts" eschew. Most "experts" don't have to live in the real world....

ronr68

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 9, 2011
    Taylor
    Right now I have a Walther PDP 4“ compact and a Springfield Echelon. I admit the Walther is a bit fat for a compact but previously I had a Springfield XDS Mod 2 and even that little thing bugged the crap out of me. I recently bought an Aliengear Cloak Tuck holster thinking it might be more comfortable than a regular Kydex type but that thing is a real pain in the butt. It’s frustrating ordering all these different holsters and none of them working out. Maybe I need the old Walther PPK and just stick it in my pocket. Lol
    Welcome to the forum and to the Many Holsters Club. I’m betting most of us bought holsters that did not work out for us. I prefer a smaller OWB holster with some sort of retention..

Top Bottom