Guns International

“Permanent Residents” serving as police?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Apparently the military has examined the trade-offs and decided a certain level of gang activity is acceptable. Not desired, mind you, but acceptable. There's always someone of a higher rank who is technically responsible for bad behavior and can either fix it when it gets out of hand or be held accountable after the fact.

Now, given the large number of law enforcement agencies that are home to truly aggressive gangs, I'm leaning towards not doing anything with even a remote chance of making that problem worse. The higher ranked people who can fix those problems, unlike the military, are more distant from the problems or more vulnerable to retaliation from the gangs.

The idea has merit. I could see some great individual LEOs resulting from helping serious immigrants who want to assimilate into the US. The downside risk, though, is too horrific to flirt with.
    <>

Anyone who has been O.D. or M.O.D. at places like Forts Hood, Sill, or Polk can attest to criminal behaviors amongst enlisted ranks, especially up to the E3 or E4 level. Fort Sam was a lot better.

leVieux

Royalecheese

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2017
    Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but it seems like we're all talking about legal immigrants from Mexico or Latin America. There are immigrants from other countries that would probably have less risk of being in gangs.
    My concern in making the post was mostly about those from Latin American countries. The cartels reach has steadily increased into the U.S. because there are known and exploited shortages of personnel along the border, as well as larger cities where a good chunk of drugs and people are moved. The current administration is not helping matters either.

I’m not 100% against this, but I see so many police departments are woefully understaffed and it seems they would jump at the chance to fill their ranks with any warm body. To me, this bill seems to play right into the hands of those who would be ripe for corruption, blackmail, and bribery.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    My concern in making the post was mostly about those from Latin American countries. The cartels reach has steadily increased into the U.S. because there are known and exploited shortages of personnel along the border, as well as larger cities where a good chunk of drugs and people are moved. The current administration is not helping matters either.

I’m not 100% against this, but I see so many police departments are woefully understaffed and it seems they would jump at the chance to fill their ranks with any warm body. To me, this bill seems to play right into the hands of those who would be ripe for corruption, blackmail, and bribery.
    See my post. It has happened and will.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    If you’re worried about gangs and cartels in your LE agencies, look no further than the Bexar County Sheriff’s office. Jailers there are routinely arrested on charges related to gang/cartel activity.

I’d hazard to guess most big city LE agencies have been penetrated by gangs/cartels. I always like the share the Ash Street shootout when gangs and the military come up. Let’s just say some dudes from 2/75 decided to assert dominance over a local
    Crips affiliate.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Read about the la county sheriff’s office in California.
    That's probably the worst example in the USA. Basically, the LA County Sheriff's office is nothing but a bunch of rival gangs, each trying to outdo the next in brutality and senseless violence. The few LEOs who have joined in the naive belief they could make things better seem to wind up leaving quickly, joining a gang, riding a desk, or mysteriously not getting any backup when they get into trouble on the street.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    My other bud is from Venezuela...
    If we'd open up immigration to folks from Venezuela, as many as want to come, we'd be better off for it. Those folks have seen communism up close and they know better than to fall into those traps again. Or at least they can recognize the traps.

Venezuelans and Cubans should be very, very welcome and not lumped in with everybody else from Latin America.

wiredgeorge

Older than I was yesterday!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2010
    Mico TX
    It’s irrelevant to have an opinion because if the person is a citizen blah blah blah they should be able to do it.

I just will try to be civil when I can’t understand what police are saying.

I was going through small unit tac training when I was in the military during basic training MANY years ago. Had a fellow recruit from India named Hidimi (not sure of spelling). Live fire exercise. Target at the end of exercise and one soldier provided cover fire and the other advanced and vise versa till you got to the end. DI explained it by showing the shooter by holding up an imaginary rifle and yelling bang bang to indicate shooting. I was paired with Hidimi. Got to the end and stood next to Hidimi at present arms and the CO grabbed my rifle so ensure the chamber was clear after removing the mag. Did the same with Hidimi and he had not fired; only yelled bang bang. CO called a couple of NCOs and they picked our Indian friend up by the elbows as his feet flailed in the air and carried him off to recycle. Point is, marginal English skills can get someone killed if weapons ae involved. If perm residents can become LEOs, not only background checks but English proficiency testing is a must.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    All for it. Increases the eligible candidate pool to people otherwise qualified. Texas would not be the first to allow permanent residents to become police officers. It hasn't been a big deal there, it won't be any bigger a deal here than the corruption that already is present. Citizens are certainly no more immune to being compromised than legal resident aliens - if anything, the LRA's are going to be more careful so they don't endager that status and wind up deported. Current admin likes illegals more than legals or citizens.

If they meet the educational requirements, physical, mental, and will run toward gunfire to save children or innocent adults from a would be killer, if they'll respect the rights of the citizenry and not be jack booted SS-wannabes - I am 100% for them.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    …Point is, marginal English skills can get someone killed if weapons ae involved. If perm residents can become LEOs, not only background checks but English proficiency testing is a must.
    That’s a problem whether you’re immigrant or not. I can’t count the number of unintelligible LEOs who believed saying it louder increased comprehension to the point of a unnecessary death.

Top Bottom