• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stx kid

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    laredo
    So i've been breaking in my new dies, and i realize that about 15 of the cartridges are a freaking hare too wide and seat the bullet loosely enough for me to pull the bullet with my bare hands.

any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong?
    Venture Surplus ad

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    First thing I'd do is mic the bullets themselves....they COULD be undersized (rare). Problem being, the alternative issue is that your resizing die is cut wrong (too large), OR you may not be running the die fully down on the cartridge. That's the ONLY things that could be the problem. Check those two out, because that's all it can be.

OldTex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    Texas
    I'm not familiar with that cartridge but it sounds like either (1) the die itself is too large or not fully engaged (down far enough in the press), or (2) the expander ball is too large. Do you feel the expander doing any work as you bring the case out of the die? Can you pull the expander stem out and see how the neck size compares with one of your 'too large' cases? If the ball is too large, you can usually chuck it into a drill and hone it down very carefully with something like an Arkansas stone or some emory cloth.

stx kid

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    laredo
    First thing I'd do is mic the bullets themselves....they COULD be undersized (rare). Problem being, the alternative issue is that your resizing die is cut wrong (too large), OR you may not be running the die fully down on the cartridge. That's the ONLY things that could be the problem. Check those two out, because that's all it can be.

I did mic the the bullets, and they are consistent.

Any thoughts on running them about half way through a crimping die to bring them down a little bit?

stx kid

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    laredo
    I'm not familiar with that cartridge but it sounds like either (1) the die itself is too large or not fully engaged (down far enough in the press), or (2) the expander ball is too large. Do you feel the expander doing any work as you bring the case out of the die? Can you pull the expander stem out and see how the neck size compares with one of your 'too large' cases? If the ball is too large, you can usually chuck it into a drill and hone it down very carefully with something like an Arkansas stone or some emory cloth.

Its a smaller version of the 30;06 with a 303 brit bullet.

2. Yes, I had to put some extra effort into the press.

macshooter

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    EL Chuco
    What kind of brass are you using? I had a problem like that when I tried to reload some cheap aguila 10mm brass. The bullets would spin in the cases even after a solid crimp. Chucked that brass, never had that problem before or since. If it's old military brass or something could be poor quality.

stx kid

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    laredo
    so I did a little digging and I stumbled on an article that said I can take 8x57 brass and run it through my 7.7 dies to form a proper cartridge. Do yall have any experience with this?

Paul5388

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2013
    Rusk County
    Try one and see if it's any different than the PPU. My guess is, it won't be any different. You have a problem, but I don't think it's the brass, especially if you have some Hornady.

Top Bottom