• ...and so much more!
  • ussoldier1984

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    DFW area
    What caliber are you shooting?

Edit: never mind, I looked in your other thread. You'll want to factor in a 20moa rail also (at least eventually) to shoot a .308 to 1,000 yards. Otherwise you will be at the very limit of your elevation adjustment or past it.

Sent from my HAL 9000

I liked the vortex hst (was at bass pro just a bit ago) glass seems clear. I am just not sure if I should go with a first focal or second focal. I understand the difference that 1st the retical changes with the zoom and 2nd does not. 1st allows for you to still range at any zoom and 2nd does not.
    Hurley's Gold

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Can you make it to Hicksville Saturday, shoot through a few?

I have a SFP and will be switching to FFP, FWIW. Not that I've ever felt the SFP scope was holding me back in any way, I just want everything to be standardized. Hopefully eventually all my scopes will be mil/mil and FFP so one hash will always be 1 mil regardless of rifle or magnification. FFP is more in line with K.I.S.S.

Sent from my HAL 9000

ussoldier1984

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    DFW area
    I would have to see tomorrow to make sure I do not have anything going on. Going to hit the sack and watch some TV and dream of all the wonderful guns and parts I want to buy lol. I will send a pm tomorrow to let you know.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Gonna be a great time, hope you can make it. And bring your rifle if you do!

Sent from my HAL 9000

ussoldier1984

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    DFW area
    Gonna be a great time, hope you can make it. And bring your rifle if you do!

Sent from my HAL 9000

Just talked to the wife I have am free. It is a 2.5 hour drive but I will bring my rifle as of right now no scope on it I was able to return the nikon scope today for a refound. But I do have a cheap bushel I can put on it. If you want I can bring some of my handguns and shotgun (tacked out mosberg 500 persuader) Pm me details

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    My best Mildot optic (a S&B) is marked "1 Klick=1cm" (Anglicized I think. Click is klicken in German I think)

It's about 1/3 inch per click at 100 yards.

Metric is, virtually 100% of the time, so much more precise and sensible that our ubiquitous English mess. It's just less familiar to our US culture though, heavens knows, Jimmy Carter tried to lift us up!!!

Mil-dot click is 1cm at 100 meters in metric. Precisely in metric. (Metrisch in S&B German!!)

In the real world it matters very little with which you familiarize yourself. Just get familiar.
    For sighting in a hunting rifle and screwing on the caps it matters zero.
    For shooting long distance with a spotter (something I'd love to learn) it can matter much.

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2013/07/20/mil-vs-moa-an-objective-comparison/

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Neither s more or less precise than the other. Just different units of measure.

Any lack of precision is the result of a manufacturing issue.

Sent from my HAL 9000

ussoldier1984

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    DFW area
    Neither s more or less precise than the other. Just different units of measure.

Any lack of precision is the result of a manufacturing issue.

Sent from my HAL 9000

I agree with you and just so you know I picked up the vortex hs-t 6-24x50 just finished mounting and leveling it. (thank god I bought a scope leveling kit lol) I look forward to zeroing it in tomorrow. Wife and I are going to leave about 7:30ish to get there by 10ish Im prepping my weapons and tools for a long fun day. Hope I bring enough ammo lol

shooker8

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2016
    Killeen area
    i go back and forth between both. I run a vortex 6.5 x 20 and it tracks very well. Not as well as my higher end scopes but it does pretty close in the box test.

ussoldier1984

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    DFW area
    i go back and forth between both. I run a vortex 6.5 x 20 and it tracks very well. Not as well as my higher end scopes but it does pretty close in the box test.
    What is the box test? I think the scope is amazing. I have yet to have to adjust the zero on it and its been on the rifle for just shy of 3 months with plenty of rounds through it. And which model vortex do you have?

Edit: I found out what a box test is. I want to try this now lol

Last edited:

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Mixed reticle\adjustments were very common for a long time and still common with certain manufacturers (Leupold) but can be a pain. Most that run them dial elevation in moa and hold wind in mils and it works just fine provided it tracks true.

Top Bottom