• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    I have a 10/22 Takedown that's a ton of fun to shoot but it's no secret the stock sights are abysmal. Even with my relatively young eyes, the brass bead is nearly impossible to see in other than bright light.

I've been considering either putting a set of aftermarket sights on and continuing to shoot with sights or putting some sort of optic on there. All of my shooting with it right now is plinking at ~20 yards at the range though I plan to occasionally take it out to a friend's farm for plinking and bullseye shoot at less than 100 yards.

I don't have a ton of experience with rifles and know very little about optics in general beyond the basics of what a red dot, holographic and scope are. :)

What I am looking for are some recommendations for a somewhat inexpensive optic including mounting options for shorter range shooting.

Thank you in advance for your patience with the noob.
    DK Firearms

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    I installed this on the wife's 10/22 take-down:

VSFtfv7.jpg

Came with the necessary mounting rings to put it on the rail supplied with the 10/22. Even I can use it despite glasses, and it matches the accuracy of the rifle perfectly. More would be a waste, less would be garbage.
    And once I figured out the adjusting knobs were covered with .... well ... covers, and which way to twist them, dialing it in took five minutes

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KOSB34/

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    I ran an Aim point M4 on a 10/22 regular rifle. A TruGlo red dot would have worked. It was a cottontail killing machine. Shots within 20yards were the average. I'd hunt mostly at night. The rifle had a mounted flash light and I'd wear a headlamp. Spot the eyes with headlamp. Bring the rifle up and hit it with the flashlight on the rifle. Dot on target, snap, and the rabbit was dead. A few grey foxes also included.

During the daylight it was squirrels.

Dred

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Define "somewhat inexpensive." Consider plinking v. bullseye - it's 2 different optics. Bullseye wants the point of aim to fill your fiekd of view. Plinking is more fun with lower magnification and more field of view,

My Marlin Papoose is a comparable plinker - it wears a Leupold 2-7x32. IMO the Leupi was cheap at half what I already had in the rifle. My hunter wears a 3-9x40; my target wears a 6-20x50.

I think you want a plinking optic. $129 will get you a nice rimfire 2-7: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00794LKMW/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I3GG6XMTSYWJKJ&colid=1X4KJ97SWF540&psc=0 This would mount using the Weaver rail that came with your Ruger and a set of "low" rings.

Regarding the idea of upgrading the irons - look at Wiliams Fire Sights. I can't see brass beads, but the Fire sights are plain as day. I do run Tech sights on my 22 bullpup - they are a good option if peeps/ghost rings work for you.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    I've used a cheap Wal-Mart CenterPoint brand scope in the max 24 power range. Stuff like that is laying on the side of a small hill. Plinking a target at 110 yards. Bipod and slow breathing. Get something with adjustable turrets and buy a laser range finder. You won't regret it. Look up the ballistics of the ammo you're using. Extremely fun. Walk a distance. Laser, adjust and plink away.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    The rifle slipped off a edge by a shelf. The rifle was standing straight up. When it fell over it hit the Centerpoint scope on the a$$ end. Where you look through. The scope bent at the adjusting ring. Right at the gap the adjusting ring moves the inner tube. Things went off center and it was junk.

Moral to the story. Don't even bump the cheap scopes. However, they're fun while they last....

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    I buy the single power weaver. The classic series. I bought a Classic 6. It's labeled Japan. It's supposed to be Japanese glass.

TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    I bought a Vortex Diamondback Rimfire rifle scope 2-7x35 and really like it.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/9...re-rifle-scope-2-7x-35mm-v-plex-reticle-matte

I got it for $179.99 from Midway on sale and used these rings:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/361150/vortex-optics-viper-picatinny-style-rings-matte

The rings are kinda weird in that they split vertically instead of horizontal but I have liked them.

Their Binoculars are nice. I've stood there and looked through all the binoculars on display. I probably took 20-30mins. From Steiner to Bushnell. To me, the Vortex had the sharpest focus, the clearest glass and best field of view. I'd buy their scope.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Their Binoculars are nice. I've stood there and looked through all the binoculars on display. I probably took 20-30mins. From Steiner to Bushnell. To me, the Vortex had the sharpest focus, the clearest glass and best field of view. I'd buy their scope.
    Well I can tell you I'm very happy with Vortex Strikeeagle 1-8 x 24 that I got during black friday.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Mid level is nice. When it comes to the low level. Tasco. It's not super clear lenses but it'll do. I always wanted to try their higher powered scopes. It's a decently stout made scope.

They make crazy stuff and keep making it. Somebody is using them or it wouldn't be available.

Last edited:

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Whatever scope you like will work. I personally like a 3-9 power on a 22 but that is up to you.

I believe Walmart sells (or did sell) see through rings so you can use the scope or the iron sights. Kind of handy.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Yep, they are nice. I still have a set in case I ever decide to get another 10/22.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    I appreciate all of the advice, there is a lot of good stuff here. I have already been looking at the Ace in the Hole and the Tec Sights as my M1 has the peep sight so something similar would be great if I stay with irons.

Before posting this, I was leaning toward a red dot since I figured it would work better for the plinking I normally do. Now I'm not so certain. I have to admit, not having any experience at all with mounting or using scopes, they intimated me a bit.

As far as price goes, one of those Vortex rimfire scopes would be doable and something I will look into. Now I just need to figure out the best way to go about mounting one on the included rail without breaking the bank.

Last edited:

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Vortex makes good stuff. Cheap rings have always worked well enough for me.

Blue Loctite on everything, not that a 22 will shake anything loose though. Good peace of mind anyways.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    I put a Simmons on each of mine, one was used. Don't think I gave more than about 20 bucks for either, both work like a champ.

Top Bottom