• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tweek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    DFW
    They appear to cost about the same and from what I've read the putting the 22lr bolt in the M4 just creates a huge cleanup headache b/c of the blowby produced.

However, are there any optoins for the 10 22 other than the 10 round rotary mag? I'd rather have something with a normal magazine that carries a few more rounds so I'm not having to constantly swap out magazines.

I'll probably end up with the 10 22 anyway, but I'd like to know if there are other options. I'd love a 9mm AR15 setup, but I don't feel like dropping $700 right now.
    DK Firearms

kfog

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Houston
    10/22 definitely.

you can get 10, 15, 25, 30, 50, etc round magazines for them and nearly endless possibilities for modification. i've got two and absolutely love them to death

skinman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Klein
    Be careful...you can easily get $700 wrapped up in a 10-22 real fast...I have two, one I have about $550 invested in. It will shoot 1/4 in groups at 50 yards all day long! The other is stock with some DYI mods on the trigger group, bolt, and mag release and shoots 1/2 in groups at 50 yards.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    My box stock Ruger 10/22 Target will do 1 MOA fairly repeatably with Wolf Match at 100 yards. At 50 yards it will put 5 shots into the a group the size of a dime all day with the same ammo.

chubbyzook

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    houston
    if you like the look of the ar but the 22.lr round
    then you can look into a conversion for the 10/22
    there is the nordic and the archangel
    then you can use most of the ar accesories aswell as alot of 10/22 stuff.

tweek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    DFW
    I'm going to go with a 10 22 instead of the conversion. That way when I go to the range I can just swap between the two without any drama.

tweek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    DFW
    Already half way there ;)

Seems firearms are as bad as motorcycles. You can't stop with just one. They seem to breed while you are looking the other way.

skinman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Klein
    1" at 100 yards with a .22LR autoloader...that is some serious accuracy for any stock 10-22, even a Target model! I can't even see a target at 100 yards without a scope, let alone get a 1" group!

tweek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    DFW
    Well, it turns out the answer to my question was neither. Go figure.

I went to CTD today to buy some more 223 (never can have enough, right?) and to 'just look'. Well, it seems that CTD was having a sell on S&W MP15-22s for $399. I've been looking at the 10 22 and all of the options I'd like for it. As already mentioned you can run up quite a bill in no time at all. Thing is, I really like my 'big' MP15 and here is a baby version. Seems to be a perfect match.

Went ahead and bought it along with an extra magazine and a box of noise. Right off the bat: 500 .223 reloads runs $183, box of 500 22 $28. Huge difference. I can forsee going to the range shoot a few hundred 22 shots and then once I'm warmed up switching over and doing a few mags of 223 before heading home. I could spend an entire day for under $60 just doing the 22 stuff.

The rifle is pretty nice. It has a full length rail on top with rails all the way around the barrel. So you can go all Mall Ninja and hang all the cool accesories on it. It includes A2 style sights in the box along with 1 25 round mag. It comes apart just like any other M4. My only concern is the lower is plastic. Also the stock is part of the lower so putting on a single point sling system will be a tad difficult.

Shotting the rifle is pretty cool. It's just like having a silencer on a regular M4. It's a blast to get out on the range and just go to town unloading the magazine in to the paper.

So no conversion kit, no 10 22. A M&P 15-22 fits the bill perfectly.

jsimmons

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    San Antonio
    Well, it turns out the answer to my question was neither. Go figure.

I went to CTD today to buy some more 223 (never can have enough, right?) and to 'just look'. Well, it seems that CTD was having a sell on S&W MP15-22s for $399. I've been looking at the 10 22 and all of the options I'd like for it. As already mentioned you can run up quite a bill in no time at all. Thing is, I really like my 'big' MP15 and here is a baby version. Seems to be a perfect match.

Went ahead and bought it along with an extra magazine and a box of noise. Right off the bat: 500 .223 reloads runs $183, box of 500 22 $28. Huge difference. I can forsee going to the range shoot a few hundred 22 shots and then once I'm warmed up switching over and doing a few mags of 223 before heading home. I could spend an entire day for under $60 just doing the 22 stuff.

The rifle is pretty nice. It has a full length rail on top with rails all the way around the barrel. So you can go all Mall Ninja and hang all the cool accesories on it. It includes A2 style sights in the box along with 1 25 round mag. It comes apart just like any other M4. My only concern is the lower is plastic. Also the stock is part of the lower so putting on a single point sling system will be a tad difficult.

Shotting the rifle is pretty cool. It's just like having a silencer on a regular M4. It's a blast to get out on the range and just go to town unloading the magazine in to the paper.

So no conversion kit, no 10 22. A M&P 15-22 fits the bill perfectly.

I just traded a CZ-452 for a NIB 15-22 (DUAxxxx)uesterday. While I like the fact that it's an AR platform, the following are things I want to change:

0) I'm seriously contemplating grinding off the bottom and side rails on the handguard because a) they're uncomfortable, and b) I simply don't need them. I wonder if I can just replace the current handguard with a different one...

1) It 's in DIRE need of a trigger job. The trigger is absolutely the worst I've ever encountered on a new gun. I ordered the JP spring kit this morning, and when I get home, I'm gonna polish the sear and trigger a bit.

2) I wish the lower and the buffer tube weren't a single unit. The factory stock quite frankly sucks. There's a polymer lower available for a standard AR, but I don't know if the M&P's upper will mate up to it. If it does, I can at least put a buffer tube on it along with a proper stock.

3) I'm definitely gonna change the sights to at least the Magpul polymer BUIS parts so I can add a RDS.

Paulie Boy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Near Victoria
    I have to say I purchased a CMMG conversion kit for my bushmaster and i am impressed! I was amazed at the accuracy, and it runs through cheapy ammo no problem. Yeah there is a bit of build up to clean but it only takes a few more minutes to clean vs the .223 ammo. I picked up the stainless cmmg kit with 2 25round mags for $199.99 from CDNN. I also have the M&P 15-22, and it has issues, but they dont keep me from blasting a few hundred rounds at a time. The sig 522 is another gift from my wife that is a hoot to shoot. I put a BSA (c-more wannabe) sight on it and boy does this baby rock! it eats everything i feed it and the mags with the CMMG kit run in it too. As for my 10-22 well lets just say Ive got so much money in that little honey I can go from krinker plinker, 16" GM flutted bull barrel with either Hogue or boyds stocks. Volq. trigger. red dot, nikkon, shoot this thing has more outfits than my 17year old daughter! I love them all. If you get the 10-22 you will spend More in the long run!

tweek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    DFW
    Took my nine yearold daughter to the range after school yesterday and we ran about 200 rounds through the 15-22. Only issue I see is that loading it is different than an AR. With an AR when you finish a mag the bolt locks back, you lock in the mag and then hit the paddle to send the bolt forward. The 15-22 doesnt like that, it constant miss feeds if I do it that way. But if I drop the bolt first, instert the new mag and then rack the charging handle there isnt a problem. So we just run it that way.

Shooting it is just a freaking blast. Really glad a box of 500 is around $20 because otherwise I could see this getting insanely expensive quickly.

Not really sure whatelse I'll add to it. I'll probably start looking for a handgun next.

Top Bottom