Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    The correct answer is Get Both.

I've owned both. Sold the 617.
    The 617 is a fine firearm. Accurate and reliable. It is big and heavy.
    Being a K frame all manner of grips, holsters, parts, etc are available for it.

The Colt is smaller and lighter.
    Accurate and reliable. Action is butter smooth compared to the 617.
    It is built on the old D size Colt frame. Between a J and K frame S&W. Frame is the same as the old Colt Diamondback.
    Being as new on the market as it is there are few aftermarket goodies for them as of yet.
    Supposed to be available in a 4.25" and 6" barrel length but I have yet to see a 6".
    I feel the Colt is the more attractive revolver.

Gulfpirate101

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2024
    Corpus Christi
    The correct answer is Get Both.

I've owned both. Sold the 617.
    The 617 is a fine firearm. Accurate and reliable. It is big and heavy.
    Being a K frame all manner of grips, holsters, parts, etc are available for it.

The Colt is smaller and lighter.
    Accurate and reliable. Action is butter smooth compared to the 617.
    It is built on the old D size Colt frame. Between a J and K frame S&W. Frame is the same as the old Colt Diamondback.
    Being as new on the market as it is there are few aftermarket goodies for them as of yet.
    Supposed to be available in a 4.25" and 6" barrel length but I have yet to see a 6".
    I feel the Colt is the more attractive revolver.
    Aesthetically, I completely agree with you. I swear they finish stainless S&W revolvers in a clothes dryer filled with steel wool. That alone is probably worth the extra $200 or so.

Pistol Pete

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2010
    Texas
    I have a 10 shot 617, shoots good. Also have a lugged 17, it also shoots good. I had rather the 617 was a 6 shooter, the 10 shot just gives you 4 more holes to clean. The 17 is a 6" very heavy, decided to get a 4", weight wise the 4" is a lot better.

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    9 shot has been my fun gun for 52 years of actual use I don't know how many years my dad had it.

Attachments

• 20240402_165157.jpg
      20240402_165157.jpg
      293 KB · Views: 23

Tcruse

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2011
    Corinth
    Not sure why anyone would want a revolver, when there are more reliable semi-automatic .22LR pistols available with optics.
    For example, Sig P-322 (20 or 25 round mags, mine has shot just about every brand of .22LR being sold with NO failures, including the cheap bulk stuff) Also, hear good things about the Tarus .22 with 15 round mags

Iowashooter

Bitter Clinger
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2024
    Iowa
    Not sure why anyone would want a revolver, when there are more reliable semi-automatic .22LR pistols available with optics.
    For example, Sig P-322 (20 or 25 round mags, mine has shot just about every brand of .22LR being sold with NO failures, including the cheap bulk stuff) Also, hear good things about the Tarus .22 with 15 round mags
    I don’t like to chase brass. I prefer to shoot revolvers

i also have plenty of reliable .22 autoloaders… but the revolvers are just as fun to shoot or more

I have an optic on one of my .22 revolvers… so that is no longer a distinction reserved for autoloaders

they are making more and more optics- ready revolvers for old guys like me

IMG_7487.jpeg

Last edited:

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    I must question the sanity of anyone who thinks a pistol is more reliable than a revolver, especially in 22 rimfire.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I let go of a single ten years ago. It just didn't fill any gaps for me. Still have a single six convertible and several semi autos. I have think I would have more use for a DA 10rd revolver but a single action brought me no joy. In larger cals the single action is a hoot.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Not sure why anyone would want a revolver, when there are more reliable semi-automatic .22LR pistols available
    I don’t like to chase brass.
    Ditto.

A club of which I'm a member requires the members police all their brass, at least on the range I use during the matches I've shot. In that situation, it's revolvers only for me.

Top Bottom