• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I have burned through about 1k lead bullet reloads and haven't been able to choose a clear winner in the powder department. This weight seems to shoot well in all of my nines, distinctly better than 115 grs. I have used AA#5(5.6-5.9gr), Blue Dot(6.5-7.6gr) and HS-6(5.3-6.2gr). They are equally reliable and close in accuracy. The smokiest and possibly dirtiest are the BD loads, although I have also worn a little powder home shooting the HS-6. I could just "settle" on the AA loads but I can't leave well enough alone. If you have any recipes that work for you, let me hear about them. I also have some unique and universal on hand to put to use if I can find a decent recipe. Thanks for any input.

robin303

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    Austin
    Well it depends on what your shooting out of. For example the same loads of 124 Berry's boolits with the five powders I load with are amazingly different with my Glock 19 and 17 just because of a ½ difference in barrel length. If you have Excel I will be happy to send what info I have thus far with a chrono. Just PM me your e-mail address.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Cool, I don't have a chrono. So I have never been able to tell which load is hottest other than felt recoil. I will PM you this evening with my email. I just acquired some rainer 124gr plated bullets to put to the test as well. I am shooting a hi power clone, a sw99 and a CZ75 all in their original full size form. Never have owned a Glock but I am sure I will before too long. I think their barrels range from 3.9"- 4.6" IIRC.

sjones

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    carrollton,texas
    I have used rainier 124 grain round nose and came up with a very accurate load.its win 231,4.4 grain,win small pistol primers,seated to 1.135.Its accurate and economic.Hope this helps. sj

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Thanks sjones. It looks like I need to add W231 to my powder lineup. So many good recipes I have heard about for both the 45acp and 9mm. I am currently using AA#5, HS-6,Unique, Titegroup, blue dot, and universal. I'm wanting to try some powerpistol, w231 and bullseye as well. I may shoot out my damn barrels before I can decide on a favorite.

jgedmond

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Spring
    Thanks sjones. It looks like I need to add W231 to my powder lineup. So many good recipes I have heard about for both the 45acp and 9mm. I am currently using AA#5, HS-6,Unique, Titegroup, blue dot, and universal. I'm wanting to try some powerpistol, w231 and bullseye as well. I may shoot out my damn barrels before I can decide on a favorite.

For 124gr. 9mm, I have tried Power Pistol, Tite Group, Blue Dot, VV 3N38, Solo 1000, VV N320. So far, favorites are 3N38 (wife's low recoil load) and Solo 1000 (nice straight recoil, but has batch to batch inconsistencies and you need to chrono each batch). Power Pistol is also a good powder for this caliber and bullet weight if shooting outdoors in daylight (lots of flash and noise). Blue Dot produced lots of unburned or partly burned powder flakes and too much recoil. I did not find anything special to recommend Tite Group or N320. TG has a reputation of buning hot (use CMJ bullets) and temperature sensitivity. N320 does not seem worth the extra cost to me, but others swear by it.

I just keep buying more pistols so that I don't shoot out any barrels.

PopsXD9sc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Longview
    You might want to try some WST for the 124 gr. Can't remember the load right now but it pretty much fills the case. Clean with soft recoil.

barhob

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2009
    new braunfels
    hi TM247
    tried many powders like you. every one has their favorite.
    i settled on:
    231 and bullseye for semi-auto's. 9mm, 380 and 45ACP.
    231, unique, 2400, and 296 for revolvers.
    am experienting with Titegroup loads for revolver only, and Autocomp for semi.
    i load mostly hard cast lead.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    9mm powder

I recently cashed in some cabelas GCerts for some more titegroup, ramshot silhouette and bullseye. The guy I buy cast bullets from highly recommended Winchester action pistol but claimed that they don't make it anymore. I found out that they still do, now it's just called Ramshot silhouette. Funny how one of the powders I just wanted to "try out" comes highly recommended by many. 231 on the other hand was out of stock and Cabelas does not carry power pistol . So, I am stuck making use of what I've got.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Grendor
    Top Bottom