Patriot Mobile

16" or 20" for AR. If you only have one?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Anyone have an opinion if you are just going to get just one. I'm planning on getting a flat top and slapping some iron sights on it.

I'm leaning towards the 16 inch. Getting something lighter either way. The 20 inch seems about a pound heavier.

Planning on shooting fun, maybe HD, and possibly a deer. Saw on another forum that I'm only losing around 150 fps. with 55 grains.

Anyone have any opinions or direct me to a thread that does?

Thanks
    ARJ Defense ad

Texas Patriot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Spring
    I would go for the 16 but you might want to get a 1/7 twist barrel for maximum versatility. This twist rate will shoot the 55 grain just fine, but will handle the heavier bullets better. Also, I like the mid length handguard vs the carbine length for less recoil and better handling for a versatile rifle.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Ditto, 16" 1/7 and stay 55gr or heavier. Technically speaking, the ballistics of the .223 out of a 20" are better, but whatever the 16" is more convenient. ;) One thing is for sure, the A2 stock sucks, has too long a length of pull, and doesn't really let most people use the peep sight properly so it would have to be a collapsible or maybe a cutdown fixed stock like the "Sully"/entry stocks. A2 stocks do not work well for more of a modern squared off dynamic stance, and really require a severely bladed stance.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Looks like I might have to look for a different stock, too.

Thanks for the imput. I'm not really planning on doing much shooting past 100 yards anyway.

Any advise on what kind of iron sites?

jgedmond

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Spring
    I too like the 16" mid-length and built one with CMMG components. 1/7 twist will allow you to stabilize the heavier bullets that work best for hunting and personal defense (75 - 77 grain soft- or hollowpoints). I like Hornady TAP for PD.

thopkins22

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Houston
    Looks like I might have to look for a different stock, too.
    If you haven't built/bought it yet I'd personally make sure it has a milspec receiver extension. The threads will be better, and the strength difference between 7075 and the 6xxx that the commercial extensions is massive. Something like 35,000 vs. 85,000psi. My rifles wear Magpul CTRs and MOE stocks...the fit is close enough with the MOE stock that I don't find the lock on the CTR needed, and I attach my slings at the rear of the receiver anyway so I don't need to QD. You can't go wrong with any of the Magpul, Vltor options, and QUALITY GI stocks.

Any advise on what kind of iron sites?
    Do you plan on putting on an optic? There are some excellent fixed rear sights on the market that work really well behind an Eotech or Aimpoint, and there are excellent folding sights(fine to use behind a red dot as well if you don't like it in your view) that will fit underneath a magnified scope. As far as front sights go, I personally would stick with a fixed front sight as they are very, very bombproof when properly pinned, and provided you put some sort of rail/floattube on your gun aren't effected by flex. Some people have rails that cover their gas block and still want to run a white light in front of their front sight so a folding front here would be fine as well.

You also asked about 1/7 barrels, forum sponsor Talon Arms has some excellent 1/7 barrels for sale: AR15 / M16 Barrels : Talon Arms!, Your on-line Tactical Tool Box The Sabre barrels are considered to be top notch and very accurate, the Daniel Defense barrels are hammer forged and will offer a longer lifespan and deliver all the practical accuracy you can handle. The only other place I would seriously consider would be Bravo Company USA, Inc. AR-15, M16, M4 Tactical Gear, Parts, Accessories. My experiences have been excellent with both.

Borderline mandatory reading(I forget the policy on linking to other forums, but this is really excellent information.) AR Technical Discussion FAQ/Knowledge Base Threads - M4Carbine.net Forums Pay attention to the names that are yellow, blue, and red as these are industry people and subject matter experts. The SMEs are not require to disclose who they are as there may be opsec concerns, but industry people are required to have their title in their signature so you know who you're talking to.

gcrisp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Menard, Texas
    Here is my ar its a Match Target HBAR. with a CAA stock, Command Arms rails, Grip Pop bipod/grip. NcStar optic. It has the 16in barrel and 1/7 twist. I use it for recreational shooting. I do not hunt with it. I can stack them in about the size of a quarter at 100yd. I would recommend the 16 in. it works for me. DSCI3388..jpg

GlockontheRocks

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    McAllen, TX
    I've got 2 -16" AR's. One is a DPMS Sweet 16 with a Bull Barrel. It's a total tack driver. The other is a DPMS in AP4 configuration. Not quite as accurate as the Sweet 16 but darn close.

I have a 20" Bushmaster that will give the Sweet 16 a run for its money. The Bushmaster has been taken out on a few coyote trips and the longest opportunity I've had is 160 yards. Did its job well.

I was in your shoes at one point and bought the Sweet 16. I later ordered the 20" Bushmaster and I really like both. If I had to take one, it would be the 16" for compactness. Shorter barrel and Retractable stock.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I have a RRA lower with an A2 stock on it and their two stage trigger, and it has been sitting in my bed room for too long.

Thanks a lot for the advise.

Now i've just got to get some brass, dies, primers, powder, bullets, a rear sight, . . . . oh and stay married to my wife. I hate being in school. Only for . . . .a few more years.

I really appriciate the advice and the pictures. Those are some nice guns.

Top Bottom