• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • APD422

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Agg
    Can a 18 year old keep a handgun in his car? I need a legit answer. Some people say yes and some say no. What is the correct answer?

-Not engaging in criminal activity
    -Not a felon
    -State of Texas

Thanks
    Texas SOT

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Re: 18 Year Old Handgun

You will get both answers on this board....not to be rude but why not just check out the law for yourself. I would not risk my freedom on what some anonymous internet poster thinks.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX

My opinion is the following:

The MPA does not have an age requirement.
    The ownership of a handgun does not have an age requirement.
    The possession of a handgun is limited to 18+.

It'd stand to reason that with the above criteria that you'd be OK carrying a handgun in the car.

The kicker is the on or about your person being deemed a CHL activity. Personally I think this is reading too far into the law. If you trust a person to carry a handgun in the vehicle as part of the overall self-defense metric, then the meaning of the law should be across the board. That's not how it works in the real world, but again, my opinion.

I concur with reading the laws and deducing your own idea.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX

Can a 18 year old keep a handgun in his car? I need a legit answer. Some people say yes and some say no. What is the correct answer?

-Not a felon
    -State of Texas

Thanks

the answers you seek are in chapter 46 of te Texas Penal Code. The state legislature servers are down, but you can try to acess the Texas DPS website. Go to the CHL section and you will see a .pdf with these laws.

Remember, laws generally tell you what is not legal. They do not tell you what activities are lawful. If a thing is not prohibited by law, it is lawful.

Possession is not restricted to 18 and over. Car carry is not restricted by age.

Be safe

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin

Sec. 46.02. UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS. (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun, illegal knife, or club if the person is not:
    (1) on the person's own premises or premises under the person's control; or
    (2) inside of or directly en route to a motor vehicle that is owned by the person or under the person's control.
    (a-1) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun in a motor vehicle that is owned by the person or under the person's control at any time in which:
    (1) the handgun is in plain view; or
    (2) the person is:
    (A) engaged in criminal activity, other than a Class C misdemeanor that is a violation of a law or ordinance regulating traffic;
    (B) prohibited by law from possessing a firearm; or
    (C) a member of a criminal street gang, as defined by Section 71.01.
    (a-2) For purposes of this section, "premises" includes real property and a recreational vehicle that is being used as living quarters, regardless of whether that use is temporary or permanent. In this subsection, "recreational vehicle" means a motor vehicle primarily designed as temporary living quarters or a vehicle that contains temporary living quarters and is designed to be towed by a motor vehicle. The term includes a travel trailer, camping trailer, truck camper, motor home, and horse trailer with living quarters.
    (b) Except as provided by Subsection (c), an offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor.
    (c) An offense under this section is a felony of the third degree if the offense is committed on any premises licensed or issued a permit by this state for the sale of alcoholic beverages.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX

Not sure what you mean here

I've heard police articulate that when the gun is within reach it's deemed "on or about the person" meaning it's in a CHL-mandated state. With the vehicle being defined as a residence, it would stand to reason that it's defiant in opinion to what is stated. The issue is that arguing law on the side of the road is not going to help your cause, especially at the age of 18. It's a misunderstanding of the MPA, but I've ran into it.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX

I've heard police articulate that when the gun is within reach it's deemed "on or about the person" meaning it's in a CHL-mandated state. With the vehicle being defined as a residence, it would stand to reason that it's defiant in opinion to what is stated. The issue is that arguing law on the side of the road is not going to help your cause, especially at the age of 18. It's a misunderstanding of the MPA, but I've ran into it.

A vehicle is not defined as a residence

46.02 of the penal code makes it unlawful to carry a handgun on or about your person if you are not (in part) inside of a motor vehicle you own or are in control of. That means, clearly, that if you are in your own car you CAN have a handgun on or about your person. CHL is irrelevant.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin

That's completely wrong of course.

CHL is only relevant inside your vehicle if you're a gang member or are committing a crime other than class C traffic.

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX

-Not a felon
    -State of Texas

Thanks

My .02, and I'm not a lawyer, sure. So long as you abide by the restrictions of the MPA.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    txinvestigator, I am kinda wondering what he meant by that also.

Probably did not take time to read the thread and fully understand the validity and relevance of the information that has been posted here, just shot his mouth off.

Maybe it was a direct answer to the original post. Who knows?

Top Bottom