• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rob_USF

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Hey guys, I'm 18 and I've grown up around guns all my life. Lived in the country, practically carried one everywhere as a kid. I now live in the city, and I would like to carry a handgun in my truck.

Is this legal?

What are the specific details?

Can anyone 100% confirm this and tell me everything I have to do to go about legally owning a handgun?

Thanks!
    Hurley's Gold

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Hey guys, I'm 18 and I've grown up around guns all my life. Lived in the country, practically carried one everywhere as a kid. I now live in the city, and I would like to carry a handgun in my truck.

Is this legal?

What are the specific details?

Can anyone 100% confirm this and tell me everything I have to do to go about legally owning a handgun?

Thanks!

Look in the classifieds and pick out a handgun you like. Go buy the gun and put it in your truck. While it is in your truck it must be concealed, and you can't commit crimes or join a gang.

Rob_USF

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Alright.. So another question, being 18, can I legally buy a long gun from a dealer? Say a .22 rifle from an actual gun shop?

RstyShcklfrd

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas
    Yes...

Dammit, sniped again.

I bought my first handgun when I was 19 through a private sale. Put it in my car and never worried about it.

Do the same.

Rob_USF

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Only problem is I don't know of anyone to buy one from...

Anyone have any suggestions on who to go to?

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Alright.. So another question, being 18, can I legally buy a long gun from a dealer? Say a .22 rifle from an actual gun shop?

Rifles and shotguns from dealers, yes. The funny rule is that they have to have a stock on them, not just a pistol grip like the Mossberg Cruisers. No bare frames or receivers (like a stripped AR lower) from dealers, either. None of them are technically rifles or shotguns.

But at 18, all FTF sales are legal.

Rob_USF

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    And you don't cross state lines......

What are you interested in? What part of the state are you in? Members here can help out if you want.
    I'm in Dallas, particularly the Mesquite area..

I don't know. I don't have too much to spend on one. I was thinking at first like a cheap bolt action .22 just to keep it behind the bench seat of my truck. It won't do much as far as stopping someone after me, but it's better than nothing and in the small chance I'm ever stranded somewhere without help I can use it to hunt small game without making too much noise.

But on the other hand I was thinking a 9mm or something around there, as it would be easier to hide. If I'm keeping it in my truck I don't want anyone to know about it. MAYBE my parents, but never my brothers or friends. It's just there in case I need it.

What do you guys suggest? Anyone around Dallas/Mesquite looking to sell a cheap old gun they have lying around? I'd just like something reliable..

Also, I was thinking one of those car safe fingerprint readers bolted under the seat. It would suck if it got stolen. What would I have to do in the event the gun is stolen? I don't believe there's a gun registry in Texas as far as I know..

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    If you are stranded somewhere odds are you would be breaking a few laws by hunting game, and it's kinda far fetched. Just keep a couple of MREs in the truck and a car charger for your phone.

If you plan to leave a gun in the vehicle a safe is pretty important.

Top Bottom