1911 frames

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by res1b3uq, May 7, 2009.

1. res1b3uq

res1b3uq Active Member

Feb 14, 2009
    I just traded for a couple of 1911 frames--Then I started looking for slides. That is about like looking for primers. Finally backordered two, so I'm just going to put the frames away and pretend I don't have them. Maybe next year------

2. Jason

Jason Well-Known

Apr 20, 2008
    Austiin area
    The amount of information is overwhelming me... please don't tell us so much about them... brand, price, condition, pics, etc.... please nooooooooooo

3. AR1911

AR1911 Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Buy a .22 conversion for one of them and make it a dedicated .22.
    Sarco has slides.

4. res1b3uq

res1b3uq Active Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Sarco is where I ordered the slides from. I already have a RI frame dedicated to a Jarvis conversion. I may switch the conversion to one of the Essex frames I traded for, because the RI specs out better than one of the Essex. Two weeks, but who's counting.

5. res1b3uq

res1b3uq Active Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Well, I got a shipment from Sarco- all the parts for 2 1911's--Oh, except for the barrels, the slides, the thumb safetys, the ejectors, the spring plugs,and the grip screws. One of the firing pins they sent was broke in half--the small end was not in the bag, so I know it was that way when they sacked it.

6. Shorts

Shorts TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Take a look at Gunbroker and search "1911 frame".

There are a lot of Fusion frames which are selling well and doing a solid on builds.

Also by using that search you get random frames. There's a guy there now from Austin who have a ton of parts, complete top ends and bottom ends. Here's a link for example: Colt 1911 Commander frame - series 70 : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com This guy's prices are a bit high I think. I bought a full Oacp lower on a forum for $180 but that was in '05. My my times have changed.

I realize searching for parts doing a 1911 build on the cheap is often the goal. Some parts are cheap, some not. I don't go cheap. I don't have the skill to work the parts to overcome out-of-spec parts that add up to just an "eh" gun.

7. res1b3uq

res1b3uq Active Member

Feb 14, 2009
    My plan was to build a couple of "eh" pistols before spending the big bucks, and still winding up with an "eh" pistol. O'course, I'm just an "eh" shooter anyhoo.

8. Shorts

Shorts TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Mar 28, 2008
    Texas

So am I, that's why I need a better-shot-than-me gun :rofl:

My first build was an Essex slide on a Colt frame. Came out....eh. Slide and barrel is where fit really matters. That's where I was pretty weak skilled in the build.

I will do others when I have more disposable income. I would like to eventually try mu hand at a 60 or 80%. (These days theres no such thing as 80% anymore) :mad:

9. ZX9RCAM

ZX9RCAM Over the Rainbow bridge... TGT Supporter

May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Unfortunately I have to ask what this means....:gotme:

10. 40Arpent

40Arpent TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Generally speaking, an 80% pistol frame is a bare frame that is ready for assembly except that the slide rails have yet to be cut. A 60% frame is less finished, in that you still have to drill various holes for the magazine release, slide stop, etc., etc.