• ...and so much more!
  • easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Did the MIM parts break? Is the MIM parts worth twice as much? I'm sure I could replace any MIM parts with machined parts for far less then $1000.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Did the MIM parts break? Is the MIM parts worth twice as much? I'm sure I could replace any MIM parts with machined parts for far less then $1000.

And here’s what I keep getting back to, value.

For ~$1200 NIB, Kimber offers what I want with either CT laser grips or a Vortex RDS.

For ~$1100, a used PC1911

For ~1400, NIB DW.

Things important to me:

1911 Bobtail Commander
    Night engagement capability
    Quality for price point.

All three meet objective #1, #2
    The last is the question, as this will be a significant investment and the used market shows very few of any of the models active. I take that as an indicator that either there’s very low numbers in the market, or lots of satisfied owners.

MIM isn’t bad per se, at least it’s not polymer.

Dred

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Houston, TX
    My first 1911 was a DW VBob. I miss everything about it except it's bob'd tail. My 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc. 1911s taught me that I'm more accurate with an unbob'd frame.

Regarding the Kimber, do you have an opinion about the Schwarz safety Kimber sneaks into their 1911. It is basically a firing pin safety which is disengaged by the grip safety. IMO, it is an unnecessary collection of little parts capable of halting progress.

Regarding the Smth, how does the external extractor sit with you. Smith got it to run where several others failed, but it's the second thing that grabs me every time I see one. First is the "lightening" slide cuts; third is the fish scale checkering. The external does offer advantage if you dare to be different. I believe it's a round butt rather than a bobtail if that matters to you - round butt grips are different from bobtail grips. Finally, Smth threw the Scandium frame into your mix as well. The light weight is nice for carry but a lot less fun to shoot.

Any of your options are acceptable values. DW will sell you the best fit pistol for nearly same same money. If you have the cheese, IMO it should be an easy choice (most pistol/dollar hands down). The Smith is sexy even if it screams look at me at incredible volume and I wonder how well leather will wear against the slide cuts. The Kimber is a 1911 - almost.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Regarding the Smth, how does the external extractor sit with you. Smith got it to run where several others failed, but it's the second thing that grabs me every time I see one. First is the "lightening" slide cuts; third is the fish scale checkering. The external does offer advantage if you dare to be different. I believe it's a round butt rather than a bobtail if that matters to you - round butt grips are different from bobtail grips. Finally, Smth threw the Scandium frame into your mix as well. The light weight is nice for carry but a lot less fun to shoot.
    The external extractor is what many like about the Smith, myself included, and the lightening cuts and fish scales are icing on the cake. Of course I like being different, but I get nothing but compliments on the looks. I wear a quick draw holster (half) to accent the looks, so I'm not sure what wear would be on a full holster, but I don't notice any excess wear from the lightening cuts. As far as the scandium aluminum frame weight being less fun to shoot, I don't really notice much if any difference from the steel commander 1911's in shooting, but then that could be due to the Briley bushing. And finally, yes, it is a round butt which feels better in my hand over the bobtail.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Personally, I never saw any advantage of a bobtail. Doesn't really do anything with regard to CC. For me, degrades the grip.

And to me, it makes a beautiful 1911 ugly. But that is just personal preference.

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    If the 1911 needed a bobtail grip, John Moses Browning would have designed it with one.

Dred

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Houston, TX
    If the 1911 needed a bobtail grip, John Moses Browning would have designed it with one.

I had no idea JMB was against having his guns tuned, fitted, customized or personalized. Guess that, as a fan boy, I should sell all my 1911s and shop fer dem wuns dat rattle when you shak'em.

phoenix

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2014
    I personally only have a colt and an ATI, but I would go with a kimber. The ones i have shot are pretty nice

Top Bottom