• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Churchmouse

Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2017
    Indy west
    This year I have decided to build each of my kids a 1911. A legacy piece for each of them. I have 3 of them done for the boys. Last one up is for my youngest and only daughter.
    I will include pics of the 3 completed pieces in this thread but right now I would like to document the process.
    Picked up this low round count Springer RO. It is as built no mods. Good shape. Pretty fair frame to slide fit. Sat down with her and went over what she would like. I have put a butt load of parts in the mail and will list everything when they start to filter in.

The gun....
    BQoZL7n.jpg

It begins
    Jr3U8ec.jpg

I will update this as I go through the process. I hope you enjoy.
    ARJ Defense ad

Churchmouse

Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2017
    Indy west
    I hope to get this one on the bench today. We have been assailed with sub-zero weather and snow here. Work load has went up dramatically.

RatBikeRod

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2017
    Dallas
    That is a great idea for your kids. Mine will simply I inherit a very nice mix of 1911’s and other things. I plan to bequeath specific ones to each of my kids (2).

I suspect my son, who is in the Navy, will get the most. My daughter, who is a missionary, will get a few special ones to keep for her kids when they get back to the states.

Churchmouse

Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2017
    Indy west
    That is a great idea for your kids. Mine will simply I inherit a very nice mix of 1911’s and other things. I plan to bequeath specific ones to each of my kids (2).

I suspect my son, who is in the Navy, will get the most. My daughter, who is a missionary, will get a few special ones to keep for her kids when they get back to the states.

I have more than a few that will most likely be sold off to fund other things should I live past enjoying shooting them. The ones I am building will have their names engraved on them.
    I will see that they get ample ammo/mags

Did not get to the bench today. It is stupid cold here and I was attending to other issues. Tomorrow will be a good day for this work.

Churchmouse

Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2017
    Indy west
    Got caught up with the weather (Hvac) and got to the bench.
    There is always a lot of lumps and bumps on a mid level 1911 fit up at the back of the slide. A lot of folks never even notice this. Extractor and ejector are the culprits here.
    sgQAYN2.jpg

Jigged up in the Parrot Vice.....
    GwcRv8t.jpg

Some cautious use of a dremmel and the results are fair.
    nOKUH9V.jpg

I fit up the grip safety but I am anything but pleased with it. I used a Wilson part against my better judgment but EGW was out of the .220 Radius grip safety's. Springers do not have a lot of tail meat to work with.

Attachments

• GwcRv8t.jpg
      GwcRv8t.jpg
      44.9 KB · Views: 269

Churchmouse

Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2017
    Indy west
    The frame and slide are at the machine shop. Getting all the show off cool stuff done.
    I have a mill/lathe but lack some of the jigs required.

Churchmouse

Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2017
    Indy west
    I had hopped to make some progress on this but Life/weather has been keeping me out of the shop.
    I have all the parts/pieces in hand now.

More soon.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Wow. I’ll be watching this one. What was your inspiration?

From the OP...
    "This year I have decided to build each of my kids a 1911. A legacy piece for each of them. I have 3 of them done for the boys. Last one up is for my youngest and only daughter. "

Churchmouse

Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2017
    Indy west
    I am setting this one up to meet the style expectations of a early 30's female (Daughter) that has good taste.
    I have a theme I follow with most of my 1911's. Blend and smooth everything. Depending on the current mood there will be some show off machine work to the slide. I will show all of this in pics.
    The ceracote will be these colors only in reverse. The slide will be the silver-ish color and the frame will be Armorers black. All the external controls will be stainless. I have them in hand and will be doing a brushed finish on them. The magwell is a wide Dawson precision piece.
    The grips are VZ's in their "Woorple" finish.

Once the terrible winter weather gives us a break I will be back on this.

Attachments

• IMG_0722 (1).JPG
      IMG_0722 (1).JPG
      17.7 KB · Views: 252

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    I am setting this one up to meet the style expectations of a early 30's female (Daughter) that has good taste.
    I have a theme I follow with most of my 1911's. Blend and smooth everything. Depending on the current mood there will be some show off machine work to the slide. I will show all of this in pics.
    The ceracote will be these colors only in reverse. The slide will be the silver-ish color and the frame will be Armorers black. All the external controls will be stainless. I have them in hand and will be doing a brushed finish on them. The magwell is a wide Dawson precision piece.
    The grips are VZ's in their "Woorple" finish.

Once the terrible winter weather gives us a break I will be back on this.
    Very nice!

Churchmouse

Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2017
    Indy west
    OK. Machine work is done and it is in color.
    Titanium slide. Armorers black frame. The external controls will be Stainless.
    IMG_1354.JPG

Some show off machine work.
    IMG_1357.JPG

A nice ball cut for accent.
    IMG_1359.JPG

The slide has been relieved. No roll marks remain.
    IMG_1360.JPG

The notch has been machined to lessen the restriction caused by the disconnector. It does work.
    IMG_1361.JPG

Churchmouse

Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2017
    Indy west
    Finally got some time today so we made a bit of positive progress.
    1st Pic prepping to stack the plunger tube to the frame.
    mpglsBW.jpg

2nd pic using the staking tool.
    buUQ2UK.jpg

3rd pic the tube is mounted.
    gZS36uq.jpg

4th pic using the site pushing tool to put the rear sight in place.
    BObMNE9.jpg

5th pic...the slide is assembled. All the new bits are laid out and waiting.
    FkYA4L8.jpg

Top Bottom