• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Two years is a long time. And all they have to do to fix FOPA is remove the Hughes amendment. It would also stimulate the economy because I would spend all my money on machine guns ;)

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    That law won't ever get changed, atleast until the Revolution. That, my friend, is a whole different thread. Remember, George Bush Sr signed it into law, and we had 8 years of George Bush Jr with no repeal. Magazine capacity and concealed carry are one thing, opening up the market to new machine guns is a whole different animal.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Even if the Republicans win back Congress, they still won't have enough seats to beat an Obama veto. They may be able to stop new legislation, but they won't be able to repeal anything.

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    As exciting as the Machine Gun shoots are and the fun had by the participants and onlookers, it is pretty unlikely that the Feds will change the law as it now is. A few would be Machinegun Kellys have took it upon themselves to take a shortcut and make weapons go F/A and some of them ended up in the Federal Pen and with astronomical fines. A Lawful American may purchase a machinegun with the proper paper work and tax stamp but the cost of such weapons place those firearms out of the financial reach of most ordinary folks. A lawfully registered with the BATFE weapon is one that the owner is married to, it cannot be loaned,or even sold without the paperwork and tax stamp .

Meanwhile, the innovative and ingenious agents of the BATFE can take rubber bands, string, soft primers and the like and make a semi into a chattering monster in order to get a conviction or to rule against this or that weapon and make it unavailable. Such is life...

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin

Even if the Republicans win back Congress, they still won't have enough seats to beat an Obama veto. They may be able to stop new legislation, but they won't be able to repeal anything.

Look at it this way, we could not get the votes to repeal the AWB, even though Repubs controlled the Senate.
    Probably correct unfortunately. We can still dream.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    As exciting as the Machine Gun shoots are and the fun had by the participants and onlookers, it is pretty unlikely that the Feds will change the law as it now is. A few would be Machinegun Kellys have took it upon themselves to take a shortcut and make weapons go F/A and some of them ended up in the Federal Pen and with astronomical fines. A Lawful American may purchase a machinegun with the proper paper work and tax stamp but the cost of such weapons place those firearms out of the financial reach of most ordinary folks. A lawfully registered with the BATFE weapon is one that the owner is married to, it cannot be loaned,or even sold without the paperwork and tax stamp .

Meanwhile, the innovative and ingenious agents of the BATFE can take rubber bands, string, soft primers and the like and make a semi into a chattering monster in order to get a conviction or to rule against this or that weapon and make it unavailable. Such is life...

I'm talking about the ban on post 86 machine guns, not NFA.

[BoT] Jack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Bastrop, Texas
    IDK. There are states out there that are already giving the finger to not only the NFA, but the Hughes Amendment as well. It wont happen tomorrow, but if the pro-gun movement keeps growing, it will hopefully get repealed eventually.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    [BoT] Jack;201449 said:
    There are states out there that are already giving the finger to not only the NFA, but the Hughes Amendment as well.

That is what makes it so annoying. Most states are OK with their citizens owning MGs, but the Federal Govt is not and is trying to remove them via attrition, paperwork, or cost.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    I agree this will NEVER be re-written. Unfortunately many gun owners even support this garbage. I had an argument with my dad about this just last week. He seems to think MGs (and suppressors) have no legitimate purpose, despite my doing my best for an hour explaining otherwise. Sad to say a 50 year old recluse has been brainwashed by the media more than he realizes. If an ultra-conservative like him feels this way, I shudder to think what the average on-the-fence American thinks.

Azurlia

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2010
    San Antonio Texas
    Against impossible odds, I would love it if the ban on FA guns was repealed. I see no reason for them having ever been banned in the first place.. why were they? Same for open carry of any type of arm / concealed carry of any type of arm, etc etc.

There's an old saying: "If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns." That's something that a lot of people seem to have forgotten. If you ban concealed carry somewhere, only criminals will be doing so. If you ban xxxx, only criminals will be doing xxxx, since they have no respect for the law.

If you don't ban xxxx, everyone including all the law-abiding citizens can do so, and the world is a safer place.

<sigh> Unfortunately, I don't know what can be done so that all these things are legal once again, like they used to be.

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    Any of you interested in this should be checking the Libertarian box in the voting booth. Not likely to happen unless we get quite a few of them elected.

Unfortunately, the mere fact that they don't believe in compromising on freedom and limited government means that they won't be elected. Same goes for true conservatives who believe in smaller government.

Only going to get worse in time as the population grows and the population growth shifts larger percentages of the people to cities and suburbs. Cities and suburbs mold people into supporting larger government. Just the way it is - things aren't going to get better.

Top Bottom