200 or 230 Grain

Mr Larry

Nov 21, 2013
Texas
Witch is the best and y? I have a 1911 and an XD in 45 ACP and have shot both well. Some like the 200 grain and say it is the best and on the other hand some say the 230 Grain is best. So how likes what and y. Would like your thoughts on this. Thanks

Charlie

TGT Addict
TGT Supporter
Mar 19, 2008
Kerr County
One is not "better" than the other. And, IMO, any differences would be hard to identify. Individual guns like certain loads and bullets, etc. I hand load both and both have performed great. I would guess that it would be very difficult if not impossible to tell the difference in shooting a hand loaded 200 gr. Silvertip (for example) and a hand loaded 230 gr. Silvertip. Just my two bits.

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
May 11, 2009
H-Town, TX
Depends on how recoil sensitive you are. 230 gr is going to recoil more than 200 gr. For ever action there's an equal and opposite reaction... larger mass to move = more recoil towards you.

sent from deep space

Vaquero

San Saba Songbird
Apr 4, 2011
Out West
Depends on how recoil sensitive you are. 230 gr is going to recoil more than 200 gr. For ever action there's an equal and opposite reaction... larger mass to move = more recoil towards you.

sent from deep space

Not exactly true. Most of the .45 rounds carry powder charges to create the same amount of energy.
While the 230 is heavier and will travel slower, the 200 will travel faster. This results in near equal muzzle and downrange energy, also equal felt recoil.

As stated before, not much difference, other than point of impact relative to point of aim.

Charlie

TGT Addict
TGT Supporter
Mar 19, 2008
Kerr County
Not exactly true. Most of the .45 rounds carry powder charges to create the same amount of energy.
While the 230 is heavier and will travel slower, the 200 will travel faster. This results in near equal muzzle and downrange energy, also equal felt recoil.

As stated before, not much difference, other than point of impact relative to point of aim.
Exactly!^^^
And even so, I would guess anyone (short of a new shooter or very small person) could tell any difference in recoil between the two when shooting.

Andy

Sep 13, 2013
Dallas, TX
I cast both styles.

With that said, it depends what you're concerned about - accuracy, reliability, powder or lead.

Accuracy - in my 1911, the 200gr seems more accurate than the 230gr when bench-rested at 25 yards, but it's a work in progress and I'm loathe to say this definitively yet.

Reliability - while I love the 200gr SWC (H&G #68 as well as a Mihec clone), they don't feed well in all pistols - so if you want a "no muss, no fuss" bullet that will feed in almost anything, get the 230gr RN.

Powder or lead - A heavier bullet uses less powder. However, heavier bullets cost a little bit more - or if you cast your own bullets like me, they dig into your lead stash a bit more. For example, a pound of lead gets me 35 of the 200gr bullets - that same pound of lead only gets me 30 230gr bullets. So - are you more concerned with the cost/availability of gunpowder or the cost/availability of lead? :)

Recoil has been mentioned by competitive shooters - Rob Leatham, for example, prefers heavier bullets - he says that they recoil less. Damned if I know - feels the same to me *shrug*

Last edited:

Dawico

Uncoiled
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2009
Lampasas, Texas
I agree with the fact that 230 gr rn bullets feed extremely well.

Technically lighter bullets have more recoil but in standard pistol rounds you may not notice.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
Lifetime Member
Feb 1, 2010
DFW
I prefer the 230's in my 45 ACP. I like how they feed and the recoil is manageable.

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
Dec 28, 2012
Cedar Park

sent from deep space
Tell that to my 150gr SWCs I use in my 9mm, they think they are 22 magnums :P Velocity and burn rate of your powder has just as much to do with recoil as bullet weight, if not more.

Top Bottom