• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Not exactly true. Most of the .45 rounds carry powder charges to create the same amount of energy.
    While the 230 is heavier and will travel slower, the 200 will travel faster. This results in near equal muzzle and downrange energy, also equal felt recoil.

As stated before, not much difference, other than point of impact relative to point of aim.

spot on.

the powder charge for a 230 grain is different than that of a 185 grain.
    I shoot both in my guns and with Glocks and Springfields you really don't feel any difference.
    Lynx Defense

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    This refers to the old light and faster or heavy and slower bullet selection. I have always been a heavy bullet shooter and use 230 grain bullets in 1911's. The exception was shooting bullseye when I used 200 grain SWC Speer bullets and had a slide spring shortened to match the load. Those were some seriously accurate rounds!

Flash

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    I ran some hot loaded 185gr JHP in my 1911, those suckers popped my wrist a LOT harder than the comparatively soft 230gr RNFMJ.

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Heart of Texas
    I love 'em all! I have one hell of a defense load using the 185 gr. Golden Saber but it looks like REM is stopping production and maybe sales to reloaders altogether. 230 gr. are great, I have and load them as well and just recently I've developed a great load with the 200 gr. XTP with True Blue. Actually 2. The first one with 8.2 grs. and an OACL of 1.220" that chronos 926 FPS from my 4.5" SR45 with a Standard Deviation of 6 and the other where I lengthened the load to 1.225" to get the shoulder a little bit higher than the case-mouth and increased the charge to 8.4 grs. The velocity gain was minimal at 933 FPS, but SD is still at 7 and they shoot like lasers directly to POA with excellent performance in expansion and penetration. In cast and now poly-coated lead bullets I tend to stick with 200 grs. and I use both RNFPs and SWCs.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom