• ...and so much more!
  • GPtwins

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Sachse, Tx
    26 September through 19 October.

I was just on the website today and checked the FAQs. Under What can I bring is the following. It is funny, however, that the ban knives, scissors, etc.

…a gun? No, with one exception.
    A person holding a valid Texas Concealed Handgun License (or valid CHL from a reciprocating state) is permitted to enter onto State Fair property with his/her concealed handgun; provided, however, that CHL holders will not be permitted to carry their concealed handgun inside the Cotton Bowl Stadium, a facility defined under Texas Penal Code §46.035 as “the premises where a high school, collegiate or professional sporting event or interscholastic event is taking place.” Note that the State Fair of Texas does not provide lockers for the storage or checking of weapons for CHL holders, so if you plan to attend a game or event in the Cotton Bowl, please secure your weapon at home or in your vehicle prior to entering the fairgrounds. We want the fair to be a fun and safe experience.
    Military Camp

GPtwins

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Sachse, Tx
    There is typically a football game each weekend during the State Fair culminating with the UT/OU rivalry on 11 October.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Prairie view A&M Univ. versus Grambling Univ. on 27SEP14
    and
    Texas versus Oklahoma on 11OCT14.

As of today, 12AUG14, "kick-off time" for either game is not yet announced.

yours, satx

BigBoss0311

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    McKinney, TX
    I will be going sometime between Oct 14-16th. Super excited as I will just be getting back from Oktoberfest and Cannstaterfest in Germany!

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Army1911; All,

What the TX legislature should do, as soon as they meet again, is REQUIRE that licensees be allowed to carry EVERYWHERE in our State, unless the place has ARMED POLICE 24/7 and/or formally accepts UNLIMITED CIVIL LIABILITY for injuries/deaths that may occur in the places that choose to prohibit concealed carry by CCW licensees.

ImVho, a person who can safely/responsibly carry a weapon ANYPLACE is equally safe/responsible EVERYPLACE.

Note: My lady & I were present when a "crazy man" starting "shooting up the grandstands" at a racetrack in LA, that "prohibited everyone" from carrying guns. = Criminals are UNCONCERNED by such "prohibitions".
    (Personally, we were "scared to death", when the bullets started "flying about". = Thankfully, an "off duty NOPD officer" HAD a pistol & "ended the shooting" with ONE round.)

yours, satx

Last edited:

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    State Fair.
    Was cool in the '70s.

I ain't been since '02.
    Probably won't go again.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Army1911; All,

What the TX legislature should do, as soon as they meet again, is REQUIRE that licensees be allowed to carry EVERYWHERE in our State, unless the place has ARMED POLICE 24/7 and/or formally accepts UNLIMITED CIVIL LIABILITY for injuries/deaths that may occur in the places that choose to prohibit concealed carry by CCW licensees.

Disagree, and ain't never gonna happen.

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    Army1911; All,

ImVho, a person who can safely/responsibly carry a weapon ANYPLACE is equally safe/responsible EVERYPLACE.

Note: My lady & I were present when a "crazy man" starting "shooting up the grandstands" at a racetrack in LA, that "prohibited everyone" from carrying guns. = Criminals are UNCONCERNED by such "prohibitions".
    (Personally, we were "scared to death", when the bullets started "flying about". = Thankfully, an "off duty NOPD officer" HAD a pistol & "ended the shooting" with ONE round.)

yours, satx
    No thanks. I like property rights.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    txinvestigator,

OK. Fine. - WHY????

Btw, "out of purest curiosity", what do you investigate?

I just think that you have to be in the lowest 5% in IQ to outlaw licensed individual carrying everywhere (OTHER THAN PRIVATE PROPERTY).
    Of course the TX legislature hasn't ever been known for having a "surplus of gray matter".

Btw, I spent 31 years as a LEO for city/parish/state/federal government & have NEVER had a single case where a licensed person acted irresponsibly with their permitted weapon. - Those incidents DO happen from time to time but they are so rare as to be statistically insignificant.

yours, satx

Last edited:

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    To All,

The DUMBEST thing about the TX State Fair board's policy is that I cannot lawfuly carry my pocketknife with a 2 5/8" blade BUT anybody can carry ANY sort of knife with a "non-metallic blade".

An old grad school prof of mine, a long time ago, said, "Sadly, commonsense is far from common in public policy-making".

yours, satx

Last edited:

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    Army1911; All,

This^^^^

I just think that you have to be in the lowest 5% in IQ to outlaw licensed individual carrying everywhere (OTHER THAN PRIVATE PROPERTY).

And this^^^^^

Are polar opposites, and the reason for the three of us disagreeing with you.

It makes no difference what his credentials are, the state legislature isn't going to trample all over private property rights so that you can carry a gun. Your original statement is ludicrous. In the scenario you originally claimed to want you would be allowed to carry in my home against my wishes. I'm all for constitutional carry, but I'm certainly not for anything that would degrade my property rights.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    what event is taking place in the stadium during the fair?

No offense intended, but what rock did you crawl out from under? I thought everyone around these parts had heard of the cotton bowl and the rivalries that played there.

For the rest of you that decide to go, I went last year with my daughter and the grandkids. Just look at the people with the wands working the entry. You can usually spot the off duty cop working the wand. At least he was there when I went in. I went to his line to keep things simple. When it was my turn, he said raise your arms to the side and instead I raised one arm with my CHL directly to the front while I said "I've got one of these". He just pointed to the officer on duty near the gate and said go show that to her, enjoy the fair.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    wincster,

SORRY for the confusion. MY FAULT. I was talking about PUBLIC PROPERTY (as well as FOOLISHNESS like the MD home owner's assn. board that decided that NOBODY could have a weapon inside the subdivision's gates). - Don't come in my house armed against my consent, either.

For example, WHY should CCW licensees NOT be able to carry inside a sporting event?
    (I was a LEO for 30 years & NEVER had a case where a licensed person broke the law with his/her handgun. - I'm sure that it HAS happened in some state where I was stationed but I personally know of ZERO times.)

yours, satx

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    F350-6,

GOOD officer, he was, imo!!!

When I was stationed in VA & visited my state rep in her Richmond office, I arrived at the State House, saw a sign that said, "CCW licensees", with a arrow pointing around the corner. to another door.
    I walked in that door and a VA State Trooper said, "Are you armed?"
    I said, "YES, I am." & held out my license.
    The trooper said, "WELCOME to the Capitol, Sir. May I give you directions?"
    (NICE GUY, too, as he SHOWED ME where her office is.)

yours, satx

Last edited:

00ChevyScott

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2014
    Arlington, TX
    We want the fair to be a fun and safe experience.

This line of text always irks me, not necessarily in this instance as they aren't using 30.06 signs, but places like AMC theaters and the like. If they really wanted it to be a safe experience, they'd welcome CHL holders.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    We want the fair to be a fun and safe experience.

This line of text always irks me, not necessarily in this instance as they aren't using 30.06 signs, but places like AMC theaters and the like. If they really wanted it to be a safe experience, they'd welcome CHL holders.

The difference is education. I bet attitudes would change quite a bit if all the folks in charge of this decision for theaters, restaurants, etc. were run through a little training scenario. Fill their establishment up with mannequins and give them a paint ball gun. Tell them the cops will be there in 3 minutes after the first shot. Let them see how much can happen if you're lucky enough to get a 3 minute response.

Top Bottom