Join TexasGunTalk

2018 Oct Meet

Discussion in 'TGT Family Reunion' started by Shotgun Jeremy, Jun 25, 2018.

1. benenglish

benenglish Lifetime Supporter Staff Member Lifetime Member Admin

Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    That video deeply angers any competent instructor. The situation was easily predictable and easily preventable. The instructor was to blame for not paying attention to basics, like assessing the ability of someone to handle recoil and keeping your hands where you can control the firearm if it something goes awry. Review the video and ask yourself "Why in the bloody hell does he have his hands in that position?" There's no good answer to the question especially for his left hand being under the gun. Why was he on her left? That one is slightly more forgivable but it's still wrong in that situation.

At least the instructor's family has spoken out to help the girl recover. Unfortunately, they later came out for more controls but at least they are on the record as forgiving the girl.

2. Shotgun Jeremy

Shotgun Jeremy TGT Addict

Jul 8, 2012
    Copperas Cove
    He's 10 now. He's shot rifle before, but his ADHD game was always too strong for me to feel comfortable letting him move to pistol. Now that he's able to control it better, I'm going to have him get comfortable with the concept via single shot loads, and hopefully by the end of the day have him shooting the same from my Sig P938. I won't be going for accuracy as much as I am comfortability and gun safety. Just hit the target backboard and we're good for this one.

I've always been HEAVILY against letting anyone new, regardless of age, start with bigger rounds. ALWAYS start as small as possible and work to a comfort range. For kids, always start with single shot loads.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

3. Shotgun Jeremy

Jul 8, 2012
    Copperas Cove
    Thankyou - that will be easier for him to load, too.

4. benenglish

Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Is he right-handed or left-handed?

5. Shotgun Jeremy

Jul 8, 2012
    Copperas Cove
    Mainly Right, but I've seen him use both to draw.

6. benenglish

Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    OK. I've got a right-hand only single-shot pistol (I think you've shot it) that's pretty good for smaller-size hands.

I hope I make it. Looking less likely, unfortunately.

7. CyberWolf

CyberWolf New Member

Aug 22, 2018
    US
    Just my .02, but I've found a supressed 22lr w/ single-loading at a time (bolt gun or pistol w/ proper adult hands-on support/control) to be a very nice place to start with kids.

Lack of recoil and/or loud report seems to go over very well, and single-loading makes safety/control much easier...

Shotgun Jeremy and rl96ss like this.
  8. Brains

Brains TGT Addict

Apr 9, 2013
    Cypress
    You're welcome to let him shoot my Ruger 22/45 Mk 3 with a can, and then if you're comfortable with that I'll have my Walther PPX with a can too. My daughter shot both last trip and did very well with them.

Shotgun Jeremy likes this.
  9. Shotgun Jeremy

Jul 8, 2012
    Copperas Cove
    Thankyou Brains, I think he would enjoy that.

10. MTA89

MTA89 Lives in a van down by the river TGT Supporter

Mar 10, 2017
    Almost Oklahoma
    What time does it start?