.22 break barrel air rifles

Discussion in 'Air Guns' started by TreyG-20, May 14, 2017.

1. TreyG-20

TreyG-20 Well-Known

Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    I had a RWS 34 .22 break barrel air rifle as a kid that I must have shot everyday for years with tens of thousands of pellets through it. I gave it to my cousin before I joined the Army and he still has it.

I am in the market for another backyard plinker in .22 similar to my old 34. There are a ton of options now. Much cheaper than the RWS. Anybody have a solid sub 200 dollar rifle they care to share some info about?

Also are airguns not popular anymore? Only one post in this forum.

2. sucker76

sucker76 New Member

Nov 15, 2015
    TX
    I can't recommend one <$200. The only one I got under $200 was a Benjamin Trail NP. I didn't like it. The trigger was poor and didn't have the advertised velocity and power. There is an NP2 model out now but don't know about it. I sent it back and got a Hatsan 125 sniper. It is closer to $300. If you are interested I can tell you more about it.

3. jrbfishn

jrbfishn TGT Addict

Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    The best options I know of is to check out the ones at Walmart or Academy. Depending on what you want, some are not to bad.
    But if you want a better quality airgun, Paramid Air online is probably your best bet.

from an idgit coffeeholic

4. TreyG-20

TreyG-20 Well-Known

Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    I have researched the Hatsan and it seems to be good rifle.

5. TreyG-20

TreyG-20 Well-Known

Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    I have been looking at them at both Wal-Mart and academy, and will likely pick up one of the lesser expensive ones there. Was looking to see If anyone would recommend one over another. I have read lots of reviews on multiple ones on airgundepot and pyramidair. All of them seem to be about equal when it comes to these sub 200 dollar rifles. I guess I'll just pick one I like and go with it. I believe Wal-Mart has a good return policy if I get one I don't like.

6. sucker76

sucker76 New Member

Nov 15, 2015
    TX
    Also, I have a vortex or gas spring(nitrogen?) rifle. Some rifles come available as coil springs or gas springs. Find out which one you would prefer and that will narrow down your search.

7. Vaquero

Vaquero Pre-ban Staff Member Moderator

Apr 4, 2011
    Out West
  8. DeBug

DeBug New Member

Apr 23, 2017
    Dallas
    I picked up a Remington 22 Express from Walmart a few months back. They had dropped the price from $109.99 to $39.99 and I could not resist getting a .22 springer for that cheap. They are not very accurate and I have tried several different pellet shapes and settled on dome shaped pellets to achieve the least ugly groupings. It's a springer so getting the artillery hold just right is key to keeping the groups together. But no matter what I tried, I always had a flyer or two and would not try to do any varmint hunting past 25 yards.

9. 35Remington

35Remington TGT Addict

Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here

Trey, the Trail NP ^^ is actually what I would recommend. Remarkably quiet for the FPE it generates. The trigger can be easily and cheaply upgraded (http://www.airgunsofarizona.com/parts/gtx-gen-ii-trigger/).

After understanding how to properly do the "artillery hold," my Trail NP was very accurate and consistent.

10. TreyG-20

TreyG-20 Well-Known

Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    Thanks for your input everyone. I plan to pick one up this Friday. I have experience with these springers a little. Its been years since I had my old RWS. I do remember they like to recoil a bit. I do want open sights though. Most of the ones I keep seeing are set up for optics and from my experience never really held zero well. I'm probably going to go over my budget. I want something nice.