• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MrRobot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2021
    Matrix, TX
    Hello,

I'm a little confuse or overthinking this. What I'm trying to figure out is which would be the correct OAL based on the bullet I purchase from X-Treme bullets . Since my bullet is not in the books I to sorta have to match the gr from the bullet to the book would that be a correct statement?

Bullet is : 223-55gr. FMJ

Modern Relaoding - 55 Grain Jacketd Bullet is set to : MIN OAL : 2.220

Lyman 50th - 55 gr. Jacketed SPT: OAL 2.260

Lyman 51th - 55 gr. Sierra SPT: OAL 2.260 - this book does not have FMJ for 55gr.

The powder I will be using is the CFE223 based on that should I between - 2.250 and 2.255 ? I know the bullets won't be the same measurements so I'm giving myself some space and not chase the OAL.

Hopefully this makes sense on what I'm asking.

thank you,
    Lynx Defense

MrRobot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2021
    Matrix, TX
    update: I was looking around and reading some more. I came across a video from Johnny's Reloading Bench.

OAL testing for AR. This would be a good idea to start with would you agree?

1702671817800.png

The only difference is that I'm using CFE223 and using 223 Wolf brass and I am using a FMJ.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    OAL is generally a standard regardless of bullet weight. It’s generally on the front page for each caliber. For autoloaders it’s usually to make sure the round cycles in the mag.

You can go shorter, but not by much if it’s a hot load. Deeper the bullet. Higher the pressure.

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    Basic advice for basic reloading. If a projectile has a cannelure, seat to the far edge, crimp, and go enjoy your shooting session. IF it has two cannelures, you are beyond the basics and should know what to do. Since the Extreme bullet has a single cannelure (and an ugly one at that), as long as you've trimmed your brass properly, you will be under the 223 OAL max and good to start with any reliable, published powder data.

I'll add that running a ladder on OAL with that or any other bulk 55gr projectile may not be the best use of your time. Go work another couple hours and use the money to buy a much better projectile for your ladder work. :)

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I remember reading years ago that published COLs are for maximum loads. You can always go shorter if you're well under max charges. Like many have said though, at some point you're increasing pressure seating short. You're also increasing the jump to the lands. Never beneficial for accuracy. I've loaded Xtreme 55gr and they did ok at 2.250".

I ran them through a range of AA2230 charges from 24.2-26gr and aside from velocity they all grouped 1.6-1.9" in 5 shot groups. At 25.8-26 they were hovering at 3200 fps in a white oak 18" upper. Since they never tightened up I settled on 24.5 gr for plinking. If you're loading long heavy bullets for an AR the mag length becomes a limiting factor but for 55s, 2.2-2.26 all work fine.

RiverRider

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2023
    North Texas
    There are two constraints that matter:

- the length your magazine will allow, and

- the length your chamber will allow

Whichever of the two is less will determine your maximum practical OAL.

Be aware that if you seat the bullet very close to the lands, you will be increasing powder space in the case BUT you will also increase pressures...this is a result of the way the pressure curve is influenced by any resistance the bullet presents to initial motion immediately upon ignition. When you have determined the best charge, then begin increasing seating depth (OAL) to fine tune for accuracy. As you increase the seating depth you will actually be decreasing pressures just a bit until you begin seating so deep that you take up significant powder space in the case.

In my own experience best accuracy seems to be found with bullets seated about 0.010" to about 0.040" off the lands, BUT the bullets I choose to try happen to like those numbers. Bullets I do NOT use may respond to proximity to the lands differently. Many handloaders see the best results when bullets are 0.100" to 0.150" or more off the lands (this applies to bullets like the Nosler LRAB). Seating even that deeply will not raise pressures significantly in typical .308/.30-06-class cases.

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    There are two constraints that matter:

- the length your magazine will allow, and

- the length your chamber will allow

Whichever of the two is less will determine your maximum practical OAL.

Be aware that if you seat the bullet very close to the lands, you will be increasing powder space in the case BUT you will also increase pressures...this is a result of the way the pressure curve is influenced by any resistance the bullet presents to initial motion immediately upon ignition. When you have determined the best charge, then begin increasing seating depth (OAL) to fine tune for accuracy. As you increase the seating depth you will actually be decreasing pressures just a bit until you begin seating so deep that you take up significant powder space in the case.

In my own experience best accuracy seems to be found with bullets seated about 0.010" to about 0.040" off the lands, BUT the bullets I choose to try happen to like those numbers. Bullets I do NOT use may respond to proximity to the lands differently. Many handloaders see the best results when bullets are 0.100" to 0.150" or more off the lands (this applies to bullets like the Nosler LRAB). Seating even that deeply will not raise pressures significantly in typical .308/.30-06-class cases.
    This is far above his level at this time.

RiverRider

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2023
    North Texas
    He has enough experience to have found out what it's like to deal with a case stuck in a sizing die. He may as well receive some correct information. It may benefit a few others as well.

Two Gun Bob

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 28, 2022
    DFW
    Those look like plain jane 55 grains. Find a similar factory round that feeds well enough, nothing fancy, and that is probably an ideal OAL. That mag lip and feed ramp don't care how much powder the bullet has underneath it, or where the cannelure sits based on whatever arbitrary length you made the brass, they only care how long it sticks out.

If its just a matter of going through the correct motions for personal peace of mind and enjoyment (I can definitely relate) then I think you need a chronograph and a place to use it otherwise you're trying to tweak the lawn height by changing the thickness of the lawnmower blade.

Top Bottom