• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Outbreak

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2010
    Abilene, TX
    What I'm wondering is if anyone makes a dedicated .22LR Short Barrel. Like under 16", NFA definition "short."

What got me started was when I was talking to Sean Cody about my trust for my first NFA item, a .22 suppressor. He asked about what platform I was planning on, and I told him a P22 and an AR-15 with a CMMG .22LR Kit. He asked if I wanted to SBR my AR. I said I wasn't interested at the time.

I'm still not interested in SBRing my 5.56 AR(for now). But a dedicated .22LR SBR Upper is starting to sound very appealing.

I guess the question is, should I buy a short .22LR Barrel, or a regular .22LR Upper and have it cut down?

ETA: Mr Cody, I think you just cost me a bunch of money for putting that idea in my head.

glock9

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    I've got a dedicated Spikes barrel that I had cut to 10" that I'm very pleased with.

The barrel has a built in feed ramp so you need to use the dedicated the Spikes 22 adapter if you go this route.

Glock9

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    You are welcome.

let ,e know when you are ready and I will get the form 1 done.

Joat

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Kenefick, TX
    If you don't want to SBR the lower but want a 16" (including the can) suppressed 22 upper for your AR there is also this option (stolen shamelessly from Tactical Solutions Site):

Tactical Solutions’ AR-15 MC (MonoCore) is a light weight integrally suppressed dedicated .22 LR upper for most AR-15 lowers. The Mil-Spec 1913 receiver and rail gives the look and feel of a standard AR-15 with a fraction of the weight and a reduction of noise. The stainless steel bolt and precision ground tool steel bolt rail gives the strength and precision required for smooth and reliable feeding. This integrally suppressed aluminum 1 in 16” button rifled chrome moly lined barrel features a removable patented titanium baffle designed for quick and easy cleaning. This ultra quiet upper is one of the most versatile training tools on the market today; it offers a lightweight and quiet training tool for the serious or recreational shooter. All of the above bundled with a Black Dog 25 round glass-filled polycarbonate magazine makes this upper a great addition to any AR-15 lower. Tactical Solutions’ products are proudly made in the USA by highly qualified machinists, gunsmiths, and shooters. Tactical Solutions AR-22 MC is backed by a lifetime warranty.

The MC Conversion is an integrally suppressed unit with removable baffles for easy cleaning. The AR-MC is a Tactical Solutions favorite - it's easy to install, incredibly accurate and most importantly, QUIET. Once you try the MC, you'll be hooked.

The AR-15 Conversion unit is sold as a complete and dedicated upper receiver and barrel. It will fit on most standard AR-15 Lowers. The Unit is self-contained, and is not designed for full auto use. All Models come with 1 25 round Black Dog Magazine (10 round magazine available for restricted states).
    Joat
    we need a "stirring the pot" smiley

ducksps

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Austin, Houston
    I cut down a tactical solution upper for my personal use before they came out with the 16 inch option that includes the can protector. If I could do it again I would go with the SBX for the AR .22LR AR15 Tactical Solutions SBX Upper (suppressor ready) [TS_AR15_SBX] - $610.00 : Talon Arms!, Your on-line Tactical Tool Box . Neat contraption to say the least. I cut my 22 sbr to 11 inches so it would mimic the size of my go to 16 inch AR allowing me to practice on steel without hearing protection. The SBX option would have been a better option and cost less at the end of the day.

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    the tactical solutions stuff is darn nice. I still prefer the SBR - Thread on can option for me, but either way works and works nicely.

ETA: Didn't see the "Can Protector" comment. that is interesting as it allows the use of a thread-on can without increasing the overall length (over a 16" barrel) or making the upper an SBR upper.

TalonRob

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    Houston, TX
    TACSOLAR15SBX_TACSOL_SBX_COMPLETE_LRG.jpg

the NO TAX STAMP SBR!!!!!!!
    (That is not realy an SBR because you don't need to register it!)

The barrel is 12.5" and the added shroud brings the overall length to 16" so no tax stamp is required on the upper. This is a great way to save $200

By the way, we will have these live and in person at the GRB show this weekend. Stop by and see it.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    the NO TAX STAMP SBR!!!!!!!
    (That is not realy an SBR because you don't need to register it!)

The barrel is 12.5" and the added shroud brings the overall length to 16" so no tax stamp is required on the upper. This is a great way to save $200
    hmm, I'm not really getting the point . Why not just have a 16" barrel then? Is it a built in suppressor or just a shroud? That is a sweet looking rifle tho.

ducksps

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Austin, Houston
    If you have a 16 inch barrel you add six more inches of overall length with a can for a total of 22 inches. For an SBR you need to do an additional 200 dollar tax stamp, cut a barrel to 10-12 inches to give a carbine type length in a still small package of around 16 inches. With the SBX upper pictured above the barrel and the shroud the suppressor fits into keep the length at the federal minimum 16 inch length without having to bother the nice folks at the NFA, saving 200 dollars, with a side bonus of a protective shield for the suppressor all in a carbine size package.

I like a this package as it allows practice on steel targets I can't shoot with a 223, in a size like my go to rifle in 223, with much cheaper ammo, all while being easy on the ears.

Of note in the picture above; the silver at the end of the barrel is a suppressor sitting inside of the protective shroud and not a heavy barrel. The protective shroud acts like a permantly attached muzzle break on a 14.5 inch barrel that makes a fixed length of 16inches.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Dur hur hur! Now I get it... A suppressor fits inside the shroud. I've seen suppressors permanently fixed to short barrels so that you only need one stamp, but this solution looks like a better idea.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    setter1
    Top Bottom