Target Sports

.243 / 7mm-08. How often does THIS happen?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cajuntec

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    San Antonio TX
    I finally located a few boxes of 7mm-08 tonight at Wal Mart. I don't know why - force of habit due to some previous deformed Remington 40 cal rounds I guess - but I always open every box and check the rounds before buying.

Glad I did tonight. I was checking the rounds in the box (Winchester Power Point), and my eyes caught the writing on one round - .243. HUH???
    eek.gif

I pulled it out and put it side by side with the 7mm-08. They looked identical. The cases looked the exact same size, and the bullets looked identical too. Same OAL when I stood them up side by side. I showed the counter guy, and he set it aside and called his manager while getting me a fresh box. This time HE opened the box before handing it to me - he knew I was going to check every box closely after that.
    biggrin.gif

How often does something like this happen? I don't own a .243, so I don't know what that round should look like. I didn't think about it at the time, but I wish I had asked him to get a box of .243 so I could compare that round side by side to see what the differences were.

All the best,
    Glenn
    DK Firearms

Bullseye Shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    The short answer is that the .243 is a .308 Winchester necked down, just as the 7mm-08 is a necked down .308 case. It appears they mixed in a .243 case during production. That's the first time I've heard of a wrong headstamp in a factory box of shells. The store should email the mfg with the lot number so they check their quality control process.

Top Bottom