• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NMTMarksman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2013
    Hello everyone,
    Im new to the forums and relatively new to reloading(I've been reloading for my savage model 16 in 270 wsm for about a year). When I first started on my reloading endeavor the hard item to find was primers then the shortage hit powder when I needed it now the item in short supply seems to be the brass. I know from my experience that it will just be a temporary shortage ( hopefully). I have scoured the internet and can't find brass anywhere. I have heard that it is possible to make my own wsm brass by resizing the parent cartridge but I'm not sure how to do so or if the resulting brass would be of lesser quality than the brass that is manufactured. If any one has any information on how to do this it would be much appreciated.
    Venture Surplus ad

robocop10mm

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    I am not that familiar with the WSM series. What was the parent case?

Necking up and down is not difficult, but learn about anealing. It will save you countless cases. Brass "work hardens". Shoot, size, crimp, shoot, size, crimp, etc. The neck gets hard and brittle from the repeated working. Anealing will return the neck to its natural, ductile state. Better neck tension, fewer split necks, less sooty residue, longer case life.

Stand the empty cases in a pie pan of cool water. About 1/2" will do. Heat the necks with a propane torch until they are cherry red. Tip them over in the water to cool. Brass does not "temper" like steel so the quenching does not harden them. Strive to heat uniformly around the neck for best results.

I aneal all rifle brass larger than .223. I size .243 up to .308, .270 up to .30-06 and 8 X 57. 6mm Remington up to 7 and 8 mm. I have less than 1% split necks. You can add 3-4 loadings on your brass by anealing every other time.

NMTMarksman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2013
    The parent case is a 300wsm necked down to fit a 270 bullet. As of right now I have found enough brass to keep me reloading for a while. I'd like to learn how to neck down just so I have that knowledge. I'll try annealing my cases but I have yet to encounter any split necks. Thanks for the advice.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Thaskinny1
    Top Bottom