• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • txfireguy2003

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2011
    Temple
    I have a question for you guys:
    I'm new to rifle reloading, only done .223, .308, .270 Win and now .270 WSM. While loading up my first batch of .270 WSM, I found a load on Hodgdon's website listing H4831 and Sierra Gamekings in 140gr which were the components I wanted to use. That load listed COAL as 2.800" so that's what I went with, firgured it would be fine since it was 0.060" less than the Max COAL listed in my manual. I loaded up a few rounds and then found that the bullets were touching the lands. Every other rifle I've loaded for, to get close to the lands, I had to exceed the Max COAL and the rounds wouldn't function through the magazine so it was a single load proposition, but not this rifle (Winchester Mod. 70). I went ahead and fired them, since they were a published load, working up from minimum to maximum charge weights and, as expected, found the best accuracy about 5% below max. Got about a 1/3" group, all holes touching! So, after this, I decided to play with the COAL because I don't like my bullets touching the lands for a number of reasons. I found the lands to be at 2.790" COAL so I loaded up a few more rounds with 2.775", 2.750" and 2.725" COAL and the most accurate powder charge to find the best accuracy, but haven't fired them yet, just loaded yesterday. I'm starting to second guess myself though, have you guys ever had rounds that got into the lands well below max length and well below magazine length, or am I doing something wrong? I use the "smoke/sharpie method" to find the lands. (Seat a bullet long, color bullet, chamber, extract and look for marks in the color, seat 0.001 deeper and repeat until no marks noted in the color.) It just seems weird to me, but it may be right, this rifle is incredibly accurate for a factory rifle with no custom work at all. Maybe I just have an exceptionally good rifle with a very tight chamber on my hands? Thanks in advance guys.
    Venture Surplus ad

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    It sounds like it has a short chamber. How does factory ammo fit in the chamber, or have you tried any?

My Lyman #49 book says 2.860" COAL, but for 140gr bullets it states a COAL of 2.785". 130gr and 150gr say 2.860" COAL, so maybe the 140gr have a different olgive that pushes them into the lands at full COAL. If there are no excessive pressure signs and you are off the lands, then they should be fine.

txfireguy2003

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2011
    Temple
    Yep, 2.860 is what I had for max coal as well. What you said about different weight bullets makes sense. I had land marks at 2.790, only 0.005 longer than the 2.785 you quoted. Oh yeah, factory ammo feeds and chambers fine, but I've never looked for land marks on it.

Sent from my Samsung Captivate using Tapatalk.

Glockzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 10, 2008
    Cedar Hill
    I am shooting Speer 150 BTSP over 63.5 WXR 0.5 MOA at 300 yrds. The COAL I'm using is 2.730. It showed that the bullet touched the land at 2.770 in my Steyr Pro Hunter. Never tried the long VLD Bergers. The current load works for me.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Love to shoot
    Top Bottom