• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MarkTheNewf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2021
    Not
    Guys,

My general experience with 30-06 AP ammo was good. Even the old stuff shot great. That said, I sold my Garand a few months ago and am now a 308 guy and am looking into that similar round in 308. I reload standard HP and ballistic tips, but I can't seem to locate a source for those black-tip 30 cal projectiles. I don't have anything nefarious in mind, just looking to try them out. All I see anywhere is old pulled projectiles for prices like $300 for 100! It's even worse for the FN AP projectiles. I guess I could see about finding some 30-06 black tip ammo and pull the bullets, but that seems like a bit of a waste. Any ideas?
    Hurley's Gold

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Winchester used to make .308fmj sold in the white box. The famous WWB.
    The projectile is a 147grn copper jacketed steel core bullet.
    You might try looking for that ammo. I might know a guy........

Those old school black tip AP’s have reached unicorn tooth rarity status.
    Another possible choice would be the old Barnes solid bronze bullets.
    The .gov got all worked up about those and made Barnes stop selling them. You might find some out there on the secondary market. But like the original black tips be prepared to pay nose bleed prices for them.

justmax

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 28, 2019
    Kingwood
    What would a box of USGI .30-06 black tip be worth these days? There might be a round or two missing, I would have to double check.

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    As a kid I threw several ammo cans full of black and Green tip 06 down a vertical mine shaft in Arizona.
    Why? My dad told me to and I never asked why. I do remember him shooting his Sako 06 and a round blew up and the ejecter blew off. I believe he was shooting that ammo. He told me stories about shooting tracer ammo and how cool it was at night time. True as hell story.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    The Civilian Marksmanship Program used to sell surplus '06 and a LOT of it was the old black tip armor piercing stuff. You could find it regularly around gun shows. That dried up, and then a lot of people became concerned about the legality of having AP ammo. So now it's high priced stuff. I had an opportunity many years ago to get several sealed cans of the stuff, but it was a lot of cash at a time when I didn't have much to spare and it didn't occur to me that I could turn a nice profit if I sat on it long enough. Part of my long story of how I managed to remain poor.

MarkTheNewf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2021
    Not
    What you plan on shooting thru anyway????

My remington 700 :laughing:

Really, though, a full power 308 round at speed will go through a lot of stuff whether it's AP or not. I'm even still mulling over getting some frangible boolits just to see if I can send those light projectiles downrange at mach-o-my-god and see if they group or not. I'm a reloader. I do that sorta stuff just because.

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    My remington 700 :laughing:

Really, though, a full power 308 round at speed will go through a lot of stuff whether it's AP or not. I'm even still mulling over getting some frangible boolits just to see if I can send those light projectiles downrange at mach-o-my-god and see if they group or not. I'm a reloader. I do that sorta stuff just because.

Read closer, I said thru, as in penetrate, not from.

MarkTheNewf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2021
    Not
    Read closer, I said thru, as in penetrate, not from.

I understand. I know and understand english quite well. See the smilie there? I was attempting to be sly about it, perhaps injecting some humor because you're coming across as a bit of a stick in the mud. Since we're on the subject of comprehension, please re-read my original post for clarification. That said, I can shoot through whatever I want to if it is mine to do so because Texas. I do not care if you have issue with that nor does it address my original question so thanks for your input.

MarkTheNewf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2021
    Not
    Online from someone on MeWe.

This is the only place I have seen them online in a “storefront”.

Yeah, I saw that. Pricey stuff. I had a feeling that the time for me running a loading experiment has passed but there's no loss in asking, right?

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    There was a guy in AZ who had that stuff but he is on the club fed prepaid vacay plan for about 8 more years.

The feds didnt like that the Vegas shooter used his stuff to try to penetrate the jet fuel tanks at the Vegas Airport.

Millerwb

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 11, 2008
    Bryan
    Yeah, I saw that. Pricey stuff. I had a feeling that the time for me running a loading experiment has passed but there's no loss in asking, right?

Not really, you just have to bide you time and be patient. I look at MeWe and here several times a day for things that interest me. Sometimes, the prices are far more than I want to pay. Other times, I find good deals. As an example (other than the 94 AP bullets that I got the other week), just this week I was able to score 25 different rotors for a RCBS Little Dandy powder measure for $100. I have been wanting to try this system for my pistol loads but $12 per rotor was a bit more than I wanted to pay. I have also been able to locate some good deals on bullets for my 270 and 7mm as well. Just have to look and wait.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I have a can of /06 AP, that I tried selling with my Garand some time ago. I thought I had a fair price on them, but no takers. I found some pulled AP’s and some that I loaded in ,308.

I guess I’ll just sit on them untilI can get what I think they are worth.

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    I understand. I know and understand english quite well. See the smilie there? I was attempting to be sly about it, perhaps injecting some humor because you're coming across as a bit of a stick in the mud. Since we're on the subject of comprehension, please re-read my original post for clarification. That said, I can shoot through whatever I want to if it is mine to do so because Texas. I do not care if you have issue with that nor does it address my original question so thanks for your input.

Sheesh, unknot your knickers. All I asked was what you were trying to shoot thru??? I don't give a rats ass, just curious.

Millerwb

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 11, 2008
    Bryan
    I have a can of /06 AP, that I tried selling with my Garand some time ago. I thought I had a fair price on them, but no takers. I found some pulled AP’s and some that I loaded in ,308.

I guess I’ll just sit on them untilI can get what I think they are worth.

They are only worth what someone is willing to pay for them. I can value mine at $5.00 for each one as long as I want. Until someone is willing to pay that, they are not worth that much except in my own estimation. Especially true when websites have them in stock at $2.25 a piece. If they have them in stock at that price, the current market has determined that they are not worth that much either. The same website sold out at $1.75 a piece. So the value from that limited sample would be somewhere between the two. But still falls back on what I started with, the value is only what someone is willing to pay. I, personally, would not pay either of those prices for something that will sit around. I paid 80 cents a piece for the ones I just bought. I thought that a fair price so I jumped on them before someone else bought them.

Top Bottom