• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rifleman55

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    I see nothing wrong with the 7mm for a hunting round, if you reload there are a great many different bullet weights and styles that you can use.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Quotes from "Cartridges of the World": "The 7mm-08 140-grain load surpasses the 308 Winchester 150-grain load downrange, according to Remington.....this appears to be true, particularly at around 500 yards....There is not sufficient difference to cause owners of 308 caliber rifles to rush down and trade them off for 7mm-08s, but it does illustrate the ballistic advantages of the smaller caliber....the 7mm-08 is adequate for most North American hunting...."

Remington introduced the cartridge commercially in 1980, but it was widely used as a wildcat cartridge dating back to at least 1958.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    You can find ammo anywhere for a .308, you can't for a 7mm-08. Speaking of ballistics, the 7mm-08 is a better round, but the only issue is getting a tighter twist barrel to support the bullets that make the .284 bullet slicker (160+ gr.). If you could custom build it with a 1:8 twist, you could have a hell of a long-range hunting gun.

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    I've been really impressed with custom built 7mm-08s, not so much with factory offerings. I'm a big fan of fast twists, as I like long bullets, but gun makers are still stuck on light, flat shooting bullets that don't do so well at extended ranges.

But that's just me, I'm a long range guy. I don't own anything that shoots "flat". All of my scopes have target knobs and get used quite often...

dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    As far as any common Texas white-tail/hog hunting scenario is concerned, either will work just fine. If you're going to be buying factory ammo, or reloading for either, they're both just as versatile. I've taken my .308 out on a few mule deer hunts and dropped them at 300 yards just fine, but in the same time, my brother in law with a 7mm-08 has done just the same thing. Unless you plan on running out of ammo when you're out in the middle of no-where factory loads are readily available for either, as stated above by the other guys, the factories offerings are enough to drop meat, thats it, don't expect moa accuracy out of most factory ammo, as well, don't be surprised if you get a squib that launches a bullet 8 inches high or low.

You'd be fine with either cartridge and happy as well, so long as you like the rifle.

Mark

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    TEXAS
    I need some leads . . . I know some kinfolk that shoot Savage rifles in 7mm-08. They have had great success in deer hunting with this rifle. What other manufactures of 7mm-08 are deserve a look ?

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I need some leads . . . I know some kinfolk that shoot Savage rifles in 7mm-08. They have had great success in deer hunting with this rifle. What other manufactures of 7mm-08 are deserve a look ?

Browning, CZ, Sako, Remington, and Savage should be looked at. Not sure if they all make 7-08 guns, but many of them should.

OldFart81

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 18, 2010
    Barn, SE San Antonio
    Have had good luck with the 7mm08 caliber.....because of caliber restrictions were I hunt, I had to get the 7-08....glad I did....found a Savage-Stevens 200 at Academy for $180 on sale....butt ugly stock but a great shooter.....seems to me the caliber is just a necked down 308.....love my 308 too....

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Have had good luck with the 7mm08 caliber.....because of caliber restrictions were I hunt, I had to get the 7-08....glad I did....found a Savage-Stevens 200 at Academy for $180 on sale....butt ugly stock but a great shooter.....seems to me the caliber is just a necked down 308.....love my 308 too....

What kind of caliber restrictions, if you don't mind my asking?

Top Bottom