Join TexasGunTalk

.32 long rimfire

Discussion in 'Rimfire' started by billpenn47, Apr 10, 2018.

1. billpenn47

billpenn47 Member

Apr 10, 2018
    Buchanan Dam
    I bought a gun. Couldn't help myself. It's a Stevens 1915 favorite takedown in .32 long rimfire caliber. It has some problems. Trigger catch won't work, and the lever spring is gone. I looked at gunparts corp, and they have the parts for this old rifle, but , after checking, ammo in next to impossible to find. SO.. What to do. I can't see fixing it, if I can't shoot it. I guess I could sell it, or just hang it on the wall. Any advise?

2. Moonpie

Moonpie TGT Addict Lifetime Member

Depends on how much $ you want to spend to get it up and running.
    .32 Rimfire is unobtanium.
    You could have the breech block re-fitted to centerfire and utilize .32 centerfire which is readily available.
    I have no idea on cost for this conversion or a gunsmith to do the work. It will not be cheap.
    There is a video on Youtube of Larry Potterfield converting one of the single shot rifles from .32 to .38 Special.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
  3. TxStetson

TxStetson TGT Addict

May 9, 2013
    Abilene
    I know this isn’t what you were lokking for, but this article tells you how to create your own ammo. GIYF

https://www.ammoland.com/2017/12/32-rimfire-obsolete-round/#axzz5CJGiYfNr

4. billpenn47

billpenn47 Member

Apr 10, 2018
    Buchanan Dam
    I thought about trying something like that, but I don't think the barrel would handle it. I also thought about maybe getting a .22 barrel and convert it to .22, but the barrels I found were way more than I wanted to spend on this old gun. Anyway.. Thanks for the information.

5. billpenn47

billpenn47 Member

Apr 10, 2018
    Buchanan Dam
  6. billpenn47

billpenn47 Member

Apr 10, 2018
    Buchanan Dam
    interesting read. I am fairly sure that the gun I have was shot with ammo that had corrosive primers. Barrel isn't in very good condition. I guess the easiest thing to do would be to find a .22 barrel, and convert it. But hear again,, The barrels I found for sell were way too expensive. Thanks for the input!
    Bill

7. Moonpie

Moonpie TGT Addict Lifetime Member

You might he able to get it re-lined in .22lr.
    That shouldn't be that expensive.
    I'd Google around to see if you could find a gunsmith to do the work. Bet ya there are some that can do it.

8. billpenn47

billpenn47 Member

Apr 10, 2018
    Buchanan Dam
    I had looked at this video. He was converting from .32 rim fire to 32-20. If I could post a picture of my gun on this reply, you might see that my gun isn't in good enough condition for a conversion. I took the butt stock off and looked over everything. The screws are removable, but it's just too much of a job for me to do. I do appreciate the input.. THANKS

9. billpenn47

billpenn47 Member

Apr 10, 2018
    Buchanan Dam
    I have looked around for a good gun smith, out in my area. There arn't any. I would have to go to McBrides in Austin. That 50 miles away for me, and I try to stay out of Austin, if possible. Thanks
    Bill

10. acorneau

acorneau Well-Known

Feb 5, 2014
    Houston