Join TexasGunTalk

.357 Mag Powders

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by SQLGeek, Jun 16, 2020.

1. SQLGeek

SQLGeek Wheel Gun Nut TGT Supporter

Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    I know H110/W296 is a standby for full house loads but small pistol magnum primers seem to be very hard to come by right now.

I have HP-38 right now and it seems there are some low-mid range .357 loads I can do up with regular small pistol primers. I can also do .38 Special of course but figure might as well do .357 and avoid the carbon rings in the chambers.

HS-6 looks interesting but again, the magnum primer issue.

What else do you like? I wouldn't mind finding something that works well for 9mm or .45 AARP ACP as well.

Looks like from my research that Power Pistol, Unique and True Blue might all fit the bill for those.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
  2. lonestardiver

lonestardiver Well-Known

Dec 12, 2010
    Briar
    2400 works well if I recall correctly.

SQLGeek likes this.
  3. TxStetson

TxStetson Usually Here TGT Supporter Lifetime Member

I use CCI and Federal Small Pistol primers with H110 without any issues. Of the manuals I use, Lee doesn't call for magnum primers but Hornady and Lyman do. I have stopped buying Magnum small pistol primers, because I'm not seeing any advantages to them.

As for the 2nd part of your question, I use Bullseye and Blue Dot for low to medium power plinking loads, and Unique for medium power to not quite full house loads.

Axxe55 and SQLGeek like this.
  4. SQLGeek

Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Ah yes, that's another on my list.

That is good to know and something I will keep in mind. Hodgdon data also calls for magnum primers for H110. Well, they call for Magnum primers for ALL .357 Magnum loads.

What bullet are you using with H110? I'm looking at the Speer 158gr JHP because they're $0.14/piece from Midway.

5. TxStetson

I stumbled on a bunch of 158 grain Hornady XTP's at a price I couldn't resist so that's all I've been using lately. Of course, I was already impressed with the XTP's in 44 Magnum, and 10 mm so it was impossible to pass up.

lonestardiver and SQLGeek like this.
  6. SQLGeek

Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    They do seem to be a great jacketed bullet. I've fired some factory ammo with the XTPs and liked it. There's also more published load data for XTPs in the manuals I have and have access to.

Debating whether to go for it at $0.19/piece in bulk. Not sure I'm going to find it any cheaper right now.

7. Ozzman

Ozzman Active Member

Aug 17, 2015
    El Paso, Texas
    Blue Dot is good powder also, as it is very forgiving.
    I use this almost exclusively for 158gr .357 Magnum (powder-coated) cast loads.
    Dings the gong at 100-yds almost every time from my 4" S&W 686.

As far as primers go, don't worry about magnum primers... a standard primer will work just fine. Just add an extra 1/2 grain or so to the load and you shouldn't notice a difference.

ETA ALSO!

If these are the only two powders you have at the moment IMO, HP-38 is a better candidate than HS-6. Don't get me wrong HS-6 will work, but with such a small load range it does not give too much wiggle room to work with the charge at the range. In my experience, powders that have small charge variances, (ie min. charge 8 grains, max DNE load is 9 grains) are not the best choice. You may find that your groups are not as consistent.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
    TxStetson likes this.
  8. TxStetson

I was at a yard sale with the wife and daughter, and my daughter made a comment to the lady about me always on the hunt for "guy stuff" so the lady asked if I knew what this stuff was, she just wanted it gone. So for $25 I got a little over 1,000 38 cal XTP's, an open box of 500 350 grain 45-70 projectiles, 900 Federal Large Rifle Match primers, 200 Winchester Silver Tip 308 projectiles, and a few Lee hand tools. I offered her more money but she wouldn't take it and said I was doing her a favor.

MTA89, SQLGeek and lonestardiver like this.
  9. lonestardiver

lonestardiver Well-Known

Dec 12, 2010
    Briar
    What a haul!!
    Let me know if you need to find a home for the 45-70 projectiles.

TxStetson likes this.
  10. TxStetson

I can spare a couple hundred if you're in need. I have a pretty good supply.