• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MAJIK_BONE_77

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Nowhere
    Is there any particular reason why this round is so hard to find? All the hoarders and thug nastys buyin' it up?

It's such a small round, and almost 2x $ as 9mm...if it weren't for the LCP i'd scoff at it.

I'm considering a .32, Kel Tec P32 is same size and from what i've heard the ballistics in the .32 vs .38 isn't huge

It's harder to find because the .380 market has boomed, there are more .380 models out there than ever, and all the manufacturers are pushing them hard, then there is also the fact that most ammo manufacturers produce their .380 ammo on the same equipment as their 9mm because the bullet is the same, so if they want to produce more .380 ammo to keep up with the increase in .380 gun purchases they would either need buy new equipment to produce exclusivley .380 ammo on (which would cost alot, those machines aren't cheap), or stop producing as much 9mm (which is a cash cow for the manufacturers) to make more .380. Neither of these is something the manufacturers are willing to do right now.

coachrick

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    north-north Austin
    Mayhaps it's my long-ago earned marketing degree talking; but, IF I were in charge at a major ammo mfg. plant, I would certainly put together some .380 (at a small cost to my 9mm production) in order to ingratiate my brand with dealers and consumers alike. Additionally, there would be a chance to charge a bit of a premium for the .380(no gouging necessary), given the current retail prices compared to 9mm.

IF I were a niche supplier, I would offer .380 as an entree to the rest of my line/brand...combining my .380 offerings with other calibers from my brand. Surely SOMEONE has pitched this to a large ammo retailer(along the lines of Cabela's, Academy, certain internet/mail suppliers...no need to play WallyWorld's cut-throat games, just present a price sheet and call it a day).

As we know, there IS a market for .380(no guesswork involved)...the 9mm market may become more price driven in the next few months, given the apparent 'catching up' of supply. Can you imagine how happy an ammo buyer for ANY retailer would be to find decent quality .380? I know many shooters are all about price, but if I were a retailer, I believe I would remember the guy who made me a lot of friends by supplying a hard-to-find item during this current 'drought'. Just sayin'.

MAJIK_BONE_77

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Nowhere
    I wish they would do something to up the .380 ammo, not sure if it's true, but I heard that part of the reason why they won't hold off a little on the 9mm is because the military has closed some of it's ammunution manufacturing depots and have started contracting several private manufacturers for alot of their ammo needs including 9mm, and the manufacturers stand to loose alot of government money, not to mention breaking a government contract if they fail to produce what is ordered.

Like I said, not sure if it's true, but if it is, it would explain part of why they don't want to do it, even though it's obvious that there is a booming market for .380.

jimbo

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    north richland hills, texas
    Just want to share how the Monarch .380 performed in my Taurus TCP. I fired 100 rounds and the TCP never failed. I also fired 50 rounds of Winchester .380 which was $8 a box more than Monarch. There was no difference and the Monarch was no dirtier than the Winchester. I will buy some more next time I am in Academy. I still love my TCP. I was able to shoot a 8 inch pattern at 25 yards.

Top Bottom