• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TXDARKHORSE361

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    Figured this would be worth posting up for anyone who is interested and I will continue to update as I have more details. In a nutshell PFC Colton Rusk was a Marine in my unit who fell in Afghanistan, he was also from Orange Grove. He was a dog handler who fell due to enemy fire he was also posthumously promoted to LCpl, I highly recommend searching and reading about how his family was able to adopt Eli the bomb dog.

They set up a memorial scholarship in his name at the Orange Grove High School and have been doing these fundraisers since. This will be the third annual fundraiser and will be a two day event (Friday May 9th and Saturday May 10th, Mother's Day weekend because that's what his mom wants). I went last year and it was great we ended up raising just over $100,000 on the first night alone, people were very generous and bidding up things because they wanted to.

The first night (Friday) will be a steak dinner and silent as well as live auction and the second day will be a team roping event and crawfish boil. It is open to anyone who wants to come and will be held at the San Patricio Fairgrounds in Sinton, TX.

I will definitely be there both days and be helping out where needed but there was plenty of time to socialize last year. Like I said I will post up more info as I have it but feel free to ask me anything you have questions about and I will find out the answer for you. Also if you're interested in donating anything for the auction or whatever please let me know as well, nothing is too small. Last year we auctioned off everything from Yeti coolers and hunting trips to a puppy and jewelry. This year I'm going to be making something special for the auction and will reveal it after I'm finished. Rest assured that all proceeds go to helping the family with expenses and the rest to the actual scholarship money. This is absolutely family friendly and all are welcome even if you can't donate.

sape7atu.jpg

debusyte.jpg

What: LCpl Colton Rusk Memorial Scholarship Fundraiser

When: Friday May 9th dinner kicks off @ 5:30pm and Saturday May 10th roping kicks off @ 9am

Where: San Patricio County Fairgrounds in Sinton, TX
    ARJ Defense ad

Last edited:

TXDARKHORSE361

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    Here are some pictures from last years event.

aqezudys.jpg

u3y8ezaj.jpg

gy3yqy5u.jpg

za9a9era.jpg

nuzunuju.jpg

ahyture3.jpg

2yje7una.jpg

tu3aguby.jpg

6asy9y8u.jpg

Me with Eli the bomb dog, last time I had seen this guy was in Afghanistan, he saved a lot of lives and is now retired and loving life as a Texas country dog.

reqyhe4e.jpg

Last edited:

TXDARKHORSE361

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    Link to the event Facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/events/467705226693842

Link to the memorial Facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Colton-Rusk-Always-remembered-by-a-grateful-nation/186690721361127

Link to the Colton Rusk memorial website with info on the scholarships, etc.

http://coltonrusk.com/Home_Page.html

Link to the local article after he fell

http://www.caller.com/news/2010/dec/06/orange-grove-marine-colton-rusk-killed-in/

Link to the adoption of his IED dog Eli by the family

http://www.defense.gov/news/newsarticle.aspx?id=62703

Video of the family adopting Eli at Lackland Air Base in San Antonio (sound quality is poor)

Last edited:

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Daryl, maybe I missed it...but is there a site we can donate to if we can't make it to the Fund raiser?

TXDARKHORSE361

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    Daryl, maybe I missed it...but is there a site we can donate to if we can't make it to the Fund raiser?

Not that I'm aware of but I will find out for you for sure. If anything I am definitely going and would have no problem taking any donations up if necessary.

TXDARKHORSE361

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    Ok just got confirmation there isn't any kind of online donation setup but if you would like to write a check (I could take it in a sealed envelope if you wish) they said to make it out to "Colton Rusk Memorial"

TXDARKHORSE361

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    Alright my donation to the auction is done (I'm probably gonna redo the lid though), inside the can will be a brick of .22LR so hopefully that'll bring some money.

umy4a9yp.jpg

yjynegu9.jpg

vu9evega.jpg

edubu6yb.jpg

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Sounds great and thank you, also that's where my screen name comes from Darkhorse was my units nickname.

Right. I read about your unit.

People can't forget these wars or the people who served in them.

Good youre trying to help out his family and honor him.

I helped with an Honor Flight for WW2 vets last year. It was very humbling. Especially when I saw one guy was in WW2, Korea and Vietnam. Life of sacrifice.

I appreciate that youre telling people about those with whom you served and their sacrifice.

Top Bottom