• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jodster

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    San Antonio
    I've shot 9mm, .40, and .357...the 9mm and .40 felt exactly the same right off the bat. But that .357...that is what i would call snappy.

MIKEYLIKESIT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    Porter TX.
    it's kinda strange to read this, because my wife and i test fired a few different compact pistols for CC and both of us felt that the 9mm was more "snappy" than the .40 she also felt the .380 was not much different than the 9mm. we both settled on the M&P 40C. i love mine so far.

Rentz

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2011
    Dfw
    I tried a 40 when I was moving from 22 to a larger caliber. I got it used on a good deal and realized quikcly how much I hated it compared to all the 9mm and 45 I tried. Quickly sold it and stuck with 9 and 45. The recoil of 40 was too snappy for me to shoot well and I didn't see a need to spend more on ammo for 40 when I could just step up to 45 which I shot much better

Texas2Wheeler

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    40S&W easier to find/still on the shelf because there are not nearly as many handguns out there as for the 9mm or the .45 which have been around much much longer.

My only experience with the .40 is about 500 rounds in less than 6 months with my 2 new Glocks. A Glock 22 Gen 4 I bought about 6 months ago, and a Glock 27 Gen 3 I bought 3 weeks ago. So far after only ~120 rounds through the the Glock 27 I like it the best of the 2. I sold a Ruger P89 purchased in 1990 in order to not increase gun count to satisfy wife when getting the Glock 22, so my only 9mm to compare to the 40 is using my Glock 22 with a lonewolf 9mm conversion barrel with the built in compensator, so my ability to do a side by side 9mm to 40 comparison is tainted by that compensator. Since Lonewolf barrel with and without compensator sell for within $10 of each other it's probably not a great compensator, but it does add about 1.5" to the barrel and a little bit of weight where it really counts to combat muzzle rise.

I know I am more accurate with the Glock 22 (both 40 and 9mm barrels) than I ever was with the Ruger P89, and that is all in because of the Glock trigger, much better than what Ruger had 20 years ago in the P89. I'm not downplaying the P89, I shot IPSC for about a year with it and it shot well, but not like the Glock.

I have not shot the 27 on paper yet, but scrap blocks of 2x4 and 4x4s that I cut into 6" pieces out to 20 yards sure don't like it.
    Those same wood blocks don't care for my .45 Colt Defender either. As for getting back on target for quick 2nd and 3rd shot when comparing the 27 to the .45 defender, I think I'm already siding with the 27. Until the 27 has proven itself in reliability and I can say I'm as accurate or more accurate with it, the Glock 27 stays in the safe, and the Defender, has it's special hideout spot should something go bump in the night.

Be sure to let our US Senators and your US Rep know where you stand on the Gun control Issue! If you are in Dallas I hope you are aware of the attitude of your Mayor (from what I read he's all in with Obama ).
    God Bless,
    Texas2Wheeler

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    While I agree with the capacity argument, I don't agree with this statement. A compelling reason for .40 to exist is that .40 is as effective as any other non-magnum pistol caliber.

You may as well say Chevy trucks shouldn't exist because Ford makes trucks.

If the trucks were unarguably identical in quality, payload, mileage, longevity and in every other way, but the Ford cost less, I'd laugh at the people buying the Chevy.

It's still the new kid on the block and hated by 9MM and .45 lovers (to say nothing of 10MM fans). A lot of people want to focus only on what they are sacrificing versus the other two rather than what they are gaining. The big three are all fine rounds.

"Failed marketing ploy?" I wouldn't say the round carried by more than half of the LEOs in this country has failed in any way whatsoever. That's some good steady income.

Not a failed marketing ploy. It's an extremely successful marketing ploy. The fact is the .40 offers absolutely no advantage over 9mm. The capacity difference gives 9mm an advantage, making it the superior choice.

pvtsnowball82

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Outside San Antonio
    40 S&W shy?

If the trucks were unarguably identical in quality, payload, mileage, longevity and in every other way, but the Ford cost less, I'd laugh at the people buying the Chevy.

Not a failed marketing ploy. It's an extremely successful marketing ploy. The fact is the .40 offers absolutely no advantage over 9mm. The capacity difference gives 9mm an advantage, making it the superior choice.

I'm not arguing which is the superior choice, as I agree with the capacity argument. I'm just saying that there is at least one compelling reason for .40 to exist.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I'm not arguing which is the superior choice, as I agree with the capacity argument. I'm just saying that there is at least one compelling reason for .40 to exist.

Well, if you take the caliber in a vacuum it's got a reason. It works.

But if you include other factors like competing calibers, there winds up being no compelling reason to use it.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    First off, the worst analogy in the WORLD you can use is what LEO's and/or military carry, since their "choices" are often driven by both politics AND costs. The .45 was seen (and often still is) as "too massive a round" for use in the civilian world. What most forget is that the old standard round for a .45 was FMJ - which sucks in energy transfer, often resulting in overpenetration and collateral damage.

Time and again, perps hit with 9mm continued to advance, which forced LEO agencies to go to a different round. Voila - enter the .40, which in my own view, DOES provide statistical differences in real-world results over the 9mm. It's just that IMO, I prefer the .45, and therefore that's my "go-to" round.

This is very similar to an oil thread, vehicle manufacturer thread, etc. - we're each going to have our preferences, and little to nothing will change our minds - only WE can do that for ourselves. I know that when I first got the .40's, I was pleased with the overall gun and its' capacity. Practical range results with the recoil, plus further research into results from real-world shooting reports, put me back onto my .45's. Won't be that way for others - and that's fine. I'm a good pall-bearer......:cool:

kfc903

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Waco, TX
    40 S&W shy?

Since when is a heavier bullet going the same speed not advantageous? According the Winchester, their 180 grain PDX1 travels at the same speed as their 147 grain PDX1.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    40 S&W shy?

Since when is a heavier bullet going the same speed not advantageous? According the Winchester, their 180 grain PDX1 travels at the same speed as their 147 grain PDX1.

They just be hatin' ;)

kfc903

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Waco, TX
    40 S&W shy?

Off topic, but glad to see you posting again. Not a lot if members in the area and need all the locals we can get.

/hijack

Thanks. This is true. I've been shooting at Webers 20 min south of Waco. That's quite a trek from Hillsboro, but maybe we could meet up at the academy in Waco, and ride down there in my vehicle. Where do you shoot?

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    40 S&W shy?

Thanks. This is true. I've been shooting at Webers 20 min south of Waco. That's quite a trek from Hillsboro, but maybe we could meet up at the academy in Waco, and ride down there in my vehicle. Where do you shoot?

Pm inbound to avoid hijacking thread.

soada101

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Euless, TX
    Well i believe this is why its good we have choices. Where would be the fun in having one caliber and one make of weapon. Regardless of what you have as a weapon. Just be glad we are able to have them.(for now) haha.. had to ;)

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio

When it has no greater effect on target than the smaller one that gives you more tries to stop the threat.

Top Bottom