• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ta6ppc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Has anyone loaded for this I am having issue's

I chose to start with winchester auto comp 1 gr. below max I am getting bulged primers and the occasional stove pipe....

I was thinking the lee dies are the issue but upon mic check of the case they are doing there job. the next thing I might be doing a heavy crimp but I don't think that is the issue???

I did a google search and found a guy that claims nearly double the charge just to get to advertised vel.???

I doubt this but just thought I woyuld ask if there is some good knowledge of the case I know it is already on the high pressure side and don't wanna get a kaboom!!!

tmd11111

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    San Angelo, Tx
    There's alot of missing info here to even come close to helping you....Like what gun are you shooting? What type bullets are you using? What weight bullets are you using? What powder are you using? How much powder are you using? What COL are you using?
    Now are far as reloading 40S&W goes, I'm pushing close to 3,000 rounds of lead reloads through my Glock G35 without any issues yet......

ta6ppc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Gun's are Glock 27 and springfield XD40 tactical.
    Col I don't remember what is but using book length in sieria manual
    Bullet is hornady xtp 180 gr.
    powder is winchester auto comp loaded 6.0 gr's
    primer is cci small pistol
    case is winchester once fired

What powder do you like the best? for 40

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    You didn't say what bullet you're using, but I happened to have the Hodgdon load for a 180 g bullet:
    Bullet Powder OAL Start Vel Pressure Max Vel Pressure
    180 GR. HDY XTP* Winchester* AutoComp* 1.125"* 5.8* 975* 27,700 PSI* 6.3* 1053 33,200 PSI

Factory bullets range from 930 to 1025 ft/s, and max SAAMI pressure limit is 35,000 psi, so AutoComp should be pretty close to factory.

One thing I notice is that there is only 0.5 grains of difference between the starting and max velocity (and pressure!). That tells me that it wouldn't take much to overload the round.

I assume you're using a taper crimp (as you should). It's hard to get that too tight.

You might try checking your scales to see if that's off. Likewise, double check to make sure you're not using magnum primers.
    I've not tried AutoComp, but it's supposed to be a good powder for the .40.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    While I was typing, you added some text.

Are you having the same issue with both guns?

I've been trying Longshot for the .40 and it duplicates factory white box Winchester at the minimum load.

tmd11111

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    San Angelo, Tx
    My pet load for my G35 is a 180gn lfp from Redline Ballistics behind 5.0g of Unique with a COL of 1.135" and a CCI SP primer. I have no idea of velocity and dont really care. I do know that I can put all 15 rounds inside of 2" at 15yrds offhand and it don't lead the barrel. Thats all that matters to me.

drjavelina

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2010
    Central Texas
    Has anyone loaded for this I am having issue's

I chose to start with winchester auto comp 1 gr. below max I am getting bulged primers and the occasional stove pipe....

I was thinking the lee dies are the issue but upon mic check of the case they are doing there job. the next thing I might be doing a heavy crimp but I don't think that is the issue???

I did a google search and found a guy that claims nearly double the charge just to get to advertised vel.???

I doubt this but just thought I woyuld ask if there is some good knowledge of the case I know it is already on the high pressure side and don't wanna get a kaboom!!!

For my 40S&W, 180 gr bullet, I use Win AutoComp 5.8gr and it works like a dream. I use a Lee press and dies. Are you using the Lee factory crimp?

oldguy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    I use Titegroup for light loads and AA5 for stronger rounds both work good for me, I do use a Lee LFC. Stove piping can be caused by a number of issues, the primer problem is odd. Don't expand case mouth much when sizing just enough for bullet to start. Biggest issue with 40cal is watch for set back.

captain-03

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    Uh-oh! There's the problem. Without a crimp, the bullet may be driven into the case. That will result in high pressures.

Get the taper crimp.

+1 -- without a good taper crimp, that 40 will push the bullet into the case a little -- a little is more than enough to raise the pressure ...

Top Bottom