• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Ive carried a knife most of my. From Old timer, Buck, Gerber, spdyderco, to finally Benchmade.

In D2, ats34, 154cm, 440a, 420....

My current knife is a Benchmade 522 in 440c. I ran across one at a flea market for $40 bucks. The first knife Ive had, ive known was in 440c. Even though it's not some of the super steel thats being put out. It's not bad at all. Good size handle. Easy to flick open and close. Its quicker then the same knife in auto to open. Plus you can flick it closed unlike the auto. (styker).
    Easy to sharpen. It takes a scary edge and keeps its edge a good while. The only damage to the blade was when I tried to saw a pelvis bone with the serrations. That kinda wore down the outer edges of the serrations. But they were still damn sharp.

That $40 knife disappeared one day. After the heartbreak of losing a damn good knife(which is close to losing your best dog)...I ordered another from Benchmade. In the same 440c

Ive carried 154cm the most. It's a damn good steel. But it's stubborn to sharpen on a diamond stone out in the woods. Ive had 154 chip on the edge. Which was a pain to get out. 440c takes an edge and runs. It still passes my personal test of a good knife. The ability to open a can of beans and still hold a good edge to skin a animal.

440c deserves more hype then it gets. It's still an outstanding metal for blades. Plus its $65 dollars less when on the same knife with 154cm from Benchmade.

IMHO:

D2, is best used as a lawn mover blade for johnson grass.

ATS34, is snooty jap steel on a jap knife with a big hole in the blade. Good stuff but I like American anyhow.

440a .... the kids can safely dig holes in the yard with it. And not be cut. I don't scuba dive either.

420cm, the army made me use it. A Buck 110 will snap in half easy. But wow....it gets sharp.

154CM tough as hell. It will get tiny rust spots kept in a sweaty pocket over time. Sharpening is like arguing with a woman.

440c, doesn't hold an edge like 154. But the ease of resharpen makes you not care much. I haven't had the edge chip like 154 either.
    Lynx Defense

JaredW

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    Spring, TX
    I carried a Benchmade 522BK plain edge in 440c up until about 4 days ago when a co-worker used it as a screwdriver to tighten their holster and broke the tip off. I liked the knife pretty well, especially the ability to easily flip open and flip close you mentioned; but I've decided I'm going to buy a Spyderco Endura 4 in VG-10 with the money they are giving me to replace it.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    I carried a Benchmade 522BK plain edge in 440c up until about 4 days ago when a co-worker used it as a screwdriver to tighten their holster and broke the tip off. I liked the knife pretty well, especially the ability to easily flip open and flip close you mentioned; but I've decided I'm going to buy a Spyderco Endura 4 in VG-10 with the money they are giving me to replace it.

Just asking here...

Isn't spyderco farming out to china? I know the ones I had were made in japan. But the ones Ive seen lately, previously made in japan, were china made. The japan jobs were really well made knives. Benchmade farms some knives out but they list them as imported on the model.

China made stuff makes my stomach hurt. If the endura is made in Japan, its a hell of a knife. Kinda skinny on the handle though....IMHO

Edit..never mind. The endura is made in the USA. Good damn choice! But don't you find the handle a little skinny for a good grip?

JaredW

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    Spring, TX
    I have small(ish) hands, and it is long enough for me to get all fingers on the grip, the thickness is less important to me.
    I took a Martial Blades Concepts course and the instructor liked/carried the Endura so that was what he had trainer blades for, and I developed a fondness for it after using it during the class.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    The steel used is only part of the overall quality of the knife. The geometry and the heat treating make a huge difference in how a knife will perform.

Of course, it really doesn't matter what it's made of if you loan it to your single-digit IQ buddy and he uses it as a pry bar, screw driver, or ice pick.

440c is a decent knife steel. Not the best; decent.

What tickles me is the number of Pakistani/Chinese knives being sold at gun shows. You can take a quality blade and chop one of them in two. They are shiny! More often than not made of "Surgical Steel" (which is likely to be stuff that wouldn't be used in rebar) or "440" (no "a", "b", or "c", which means its 440a and not worth a crap unless you're scuba diving.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    When selecting a knife, I'm more concerned with things like who did the heat treat over what steel it is.

True. The Buck 110 would be junk if it wasn't for the heat treat Buck does. Good Custom knifes get precise heat treats, cyro freezes.

Once on a construction site way back. I stabbed a small tempered plane of glass on a outdoor light with a Benchmade Auto Styker in 154CM, tanto. The tip "chipped" less then 1/32" back. Thats the most damage I ever did to 154CM. I put that knife through hell until the auto springs broke. Now its in a drawer.

Would I do the same thing in 440C? No way in hades. But for hunting and the cutting I do now...it fits the bill.

Top Bottom