• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I got Titegroup and some 230 gr. FMJs laying around and I wanna cook up a load for my new STI. What are you guys using in terms of an accurate load? What sort of OALs?
    Guns International

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I don't use that powder, but generally speaking (and you probably know this already) mid range loads shoot the best and cycle guns reliably. OALs, go by the book as long as they feed from the magazine.

skinman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Klein
    I have not used Titegroup yet so I cannot help you there. My favorite for 230 gr FMJ is 5.2 gr W-231 with CCI #300 LPP @1.25-1.26 with a light crimp. Great accuracy and grouping at 15 yards in both my Colt M1991A1 and Desert Eagle.

Another one I like for 230 gr FMJ is 4.8 gr W-231 with CCI #350 Magnum LPP @ 2.60. I know some folks will criticize using magnum primers but I bet they have never tried it either...keep the charge below max and they perform very well.

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    When my bench was up and running i was using 5.2 titegroup in the 1911's and 5.5 in all others. For some reason the 5.5 didnt act right in my 1911.

noylj

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2011
    arizona
    I have been overwhelming unimpressed with TiteGroup and Clays, and prefer AA2, AA5, and 231/HP38 for target loads in my .45s.
    I have tried this
    Hornady 230 JRN TiteGroup 4.8 WLP Para SSP 2.210" @25yds 802fps
    This is a max load in many guns and you should start at 4.3gn.
    I find that any powder that has less than a 1.0gn range from start to Max is not a powder to play around with and should be used ONLY if you have a pressing need that only that particular powder can do.

Bultx1215

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    Bulverde, TX
    For 230g FMJ's I was using 4.1 and 4.4g or TG with a 1.23 COL. They were light, but they did well through my G36. That sucker can be rough on you with a hot load, too. The 4.4's did better, IMO. I actually preferred a 200g Berry's RS with 4.4g of TG @1.19 through that pistola. Even though its 0.4 below Hodgdon's start, it was good on the cycling and perfect recoil with good accuracy.

If you really want a good load for .45acp, try some WST one day. I tried on a recommendation and it was perfect. Nice and light recoil with a better accuracy than the TG. The brass is also cool to the touch compared to the TG brass once ejected. You also don't have that irritating black scorch mark around the rim to clean off. I have shot them with a G36 and a Sig P220 and a buddy has shot them with his Kimber Pro Covert II and they were all shooting perfectly. I will now only use WST for .45's and one day, 9mm...after I finish off my last TG, and HS-6. FWIW.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    I tried Titegroup on a recommendation from the tech guys at Hodgdon, but I never got consistent accuracy from it. I was loading 4.6 g for 230 g FMJ.

Titegroup isn't a bad powder, but it's so dense that it doesn't meter well. Weighing each charge it did OK.

I've loaded .45 ACP with 231, Bullseye, Unique, PowerPistol, Longshot, and Titegroup. Bullseye and 231 gave me the best results, but all those in my list did OK.

specter77

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Bryan, TX
    I have been using 5.0 grains of titegroup when ever I cannot find win231. My projectile is a 230grain Berrys double struck. Both of my 1911's and my SIG P220 compact shoot it fine.

Semper Fi

Mike

noylj

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2011
    arizona
    Specter77 wrote: Both of my 1911's and my SIG P220 compact shoot it fine

Define "fine." Sub-1" groups at 25 yards, Minute-of-steel plate at 10 yards? What is fine for you might be crap to me. The longest distance I shoot is 25 yards and I develop all my loads to produce consistent sub-2" groups at 25 yards.
    In .45 Auto, almost all I shoot are 200gn L-SWC. TiteGroup has produced several acceptable groups at 4.8-5.0gn, but NOT consistently. It also burns hot and does not treat lead bullets well.

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    I have reloaded .45 ACP for more than ten years. I have tried several brands of powders and primers, but I keep coming back to my original load. I use 5.6 grains of Winchester 231 powder, Oregon Trail Laser Cast 200 gr. LSWC [lead semi-wad cutter] bullets, and whatever primers I have on hand at the time. I find this to be a good load with both the normal large pistol primer cases and the new Federal "green" cases with the small pistol primer pockets. At this time there is no published data for reloading the small pistol primer pocket cases in .45 ACP. Phone concersations with Federal and Hogdon representatives has confirmed my loads are safe in either type of case.

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    Titegroup isn't a bad powder, but it's so dense that it doesn't meter well.

What powder measure are you using? Titegroup should meter like a dream, across well over 1000 rounds the standard deviation I calculated from data I took showed it well under 0.1gr, which is obvious when you realize that is the limit of the scale and most charges were spot on. For efficiency TG is one of the best powders for 45ACP, but WSF is good one as well for everyday plinkers. Power Pistol or True Blue makes very nice upper end loadings.

Rum Runner

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Plano
    No clue on titegroup. I started w/ Bullseye and have no reason to switch. 4.7gr I believe, but I am at work and ti probably doesn't matter.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Been using Bulls Eye and 231 in 45acp since the 60's with excellent results EXCEPT you need to be damned careful about a double charge as the charges are tiny. I see no reason to mess with perfection.

Flash

jbcalhoun

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Midland, TX.
    If you haven't tried any, vihtavuori is one of the best and cleanest burning powder I have ever tried in any handgun.

Vihtavuori-Lapua.com

Check out the link as they have a reloading guide that covers pistol, rifle, etc. You will like it when you try it!

Brad

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    I gotta' ask.........................Define "acceptable" groups.
    Specter77 wrote: Both of my 1911's and my SIG P220 compact shoot it fine

Define "fine." Sub-1" groups at 25 yards, Minute-of-steel plate at 10 yards? What is fine for you might be crap to me. The longest distance I shoot is 25 yards and I develop all my loads to produce consistent sub-2" groups at 25 yards.
    In .45 Auto, almost all I shoot are 200gn L-SWC. TiteGroup has produced several acceptable groups at 4.8-5.0gn, but NOT consistently. It also burns hot and does not treat lead bullets well.

Top Bottom