• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mantawolf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    Lowry Crossing
    I reloaded some 200gr lead bullets with TightGroup and it did as the name says, 6 inch circle tore out of middle of target between 3 and 10 meters. So probably gonna stick with that. Although I do have some BlueDot that I got with a used reloading gear purchase I might try.

Have fun! What powder didja go with? I've been using the W231 with good results, plus it's versatile enough to use on most of my non-mag handgun loads!

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Reloadin' is great anytime but especially bad weather days. My favorite plinking, walkin' around the ranch, load in .45 is some W231 with a 200 grain FMJ-flat point. I think it's about 820 fps (from calculation not chronograph). All the cases land in about a one ft. circle about 5 ft. to the right of the pistol.

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    My favorite load is with Win 231 powder and Oregon Trail "Laser Cast" 200 gr. swc bullets. I have recently learned a hard lesson about reloading for the .45ACP though. When first I started reloading for the .45ACP, I asked a Custom Gunsmith I know, how many times should one reload a .45 case before you toss it. He told me to "shoot them 'til they slit, then throw them away". I have since found this to not be such good advice. Apparently some of my last reloads have had primers that didn't seal very well due to enlarged primer pockets. I hand seat each primer and didn't notice any difference in the way the primers seated, but after collecting the spent brass I noticed burn marks around several primers. I usually shoot between 200 to 250 rounds each time I go to the range. During the cleaning session after my last trip, I noticed a slight circular ring had been burned into the slide around the firing pin hole. This is caused by the escaping hot gases blowing back onto the face of the breech. Some of my brass had been reloaded 50 times or more. Ordered 1,500 new pieces of Starline Brass which arrives today. I have enough old brass to fill a 13 gallon trash can and it is all going to the recycler this weekend.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I still haven't found the "dream load" for my 1911. I have had good results with Hornady 200gr CT bullets as well as 200gr SWCs. For some reason I never get great results with 230gr bullets. One of my favorite lead loads is using 200gr flat point LC bullets loaded over 5.2-5.5gr of unique. It's a nice soft shooting plinking load. I should probably pick up some W231, most reloaders swear by it but I have too much unique, bluedot and titegroup to play with. OLDVET, I am surprised that you have used ANY pieces more than a dozen times. A few of mine have seen 6-8 cycles. I am more concerned with the brass getting weak at the web rather than the neck. The unsupported feedramp area of the 1911 lends itself to failure at the web moreso than the neck. That can get dangerous !

mantawolf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    Lowry Crossing
    I picked up a piece of WW2 brass from 1942 that I reloaded and it shot fine. I dont worry about the age too much but I am new the reloading so most of mine isn't too old yet.

jfrey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Coastal Texas
    I'm using 6.2 gr. Unique under a 200 gr. Berry's bullet and my Briley's eat em like candy. I also like almost the same amount(6.0 gr.) of WSF under the same bullet and it is also accurate. Shot the Unique load through my FIL's Freedom Arms revolver and had 4 shots in one ragged hole at 10 yds. Doesn't get much better than that.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    The .45 is pretty well behaved with a lot of different powders. The new Unique is supposed to be improved, but the older stuff is often referred to as 'burning dirt' for the soot it leaves behind. Hodgdon's tech guy recommended Titegroup to me, so I tried it. It's specially designed to burn consistently no matter where the powder lies in the case. It's not bad, but I never could get it to meter well enough to be consistent. 231 is great stuff, but I've been using Bullseye for a long time and it seems to do the best job.

PopsXD9sc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Longview
    4.5 gr WST with a 230 gr works great. Clean burning and meters very well. 4.5 gr of Solo 1000 works well too. Both loads have relatively low recoil and incredibly accurate.

T-FAST

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 9, 2011
    San Antonio, TX
    Just started reloading... my first load has been 5.7-5.9 gr Unique with 230gr FMJ. I just ordered 1000 rds of 230gr Berry's. Any tips on reloading Berry's bullets? Just adjust the resizing die so that it opens up the case a little bit more right?

skinman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Klein
    I usually stick to 230 gr FMJ ball or LRN and have played around with some different powders and primers but I always seem to drift back to 231 and CCI primers. I find that 231 meters consistently and burns clean. Favorite load for 230 gr FMJ ball is 5.2 gr 231 w/CCI LPP @ 1.25 OAL. Drop that down to 4.8 gr and use CCI #350 mag primers for a really snappy load. For 230 gr LRN, I use 4.8 gr 231 w/CCI LPP @ 1.20 OAL. Both loads work great in my Colt and Desert Eagle.

jbcalhoun

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Midland, TX.
    My favorite load is 3.8 grains of Vihtavuori 310 pistol powder topped with a self cast 200 grain SWC using the Sako H&G 068 mold. I use WW Large Pistol Primers and S&B brass. Accuracy is outstanding and recoil is very mild. Vihtavouri is the cleanest of all powders I have ever shot.

If you try this load, and your 1911 is equipped with slide mounted optics, you will have to go to a lighter spring (more than likely). I have shot thousands of rounds in bullseye competition and done very well with this load.

Off a rest, my bullseye pistol is capable of 50cent sized 10 shot groups on a regular basis at 25 yards. I have yet to find a 1911 that won't shoot well with this load.

If you don't cast bullets yourself, the Oregon cast bullets and of very good quality and work well.

Did I mention, You won't find a cleaner burning powder.

Brad

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    High-cap, are you pushing lead,plated or FMJ bullets ? Most of my manuals only go that low for a lead projectile. What kind of gun do you run them through? Sounds like a good,cheap plinkin' load

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Sweet. I'll have to dial in my powder measure and crank a few out. Looking to run them in my 1911, maybe an HK USP and a convertible blackhawk. I also use rainier or berrys plated myself but ocassionally splurge on some Hornady 200gr CT FMJs or some 230gr Win/Rem HPs.

Kosh75287

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    Nemo
    I like 6.0/Unique/230LRN for a general practice and competition load. I also like 4.6/RedDot/230 LRN or 225 TC for the same purposes. PROMO can be substituted for RedDot, as long as the charges are measured by weight.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    For bullseye matches, you can drop the velocity a bit so I loaded Speer 200 grain Semi Wadcutters over bullseye. The rounds were one hole accurate but I trimmed 1/8 to 1/4 of a turn off of the slide spring to improve ejection.

For "Combat" matches, they chronographed your loads so bullet weight and velocity had to be up or you'd be DQ'd. With lighter bullets, you had to push them very fast to stay in major class. The 230 grain slugs worked better for me.

I used 231 but always came back to Bullseye. Watch that Bullseye powder! A double charge of Bullseye will fit quite nicely in a .45acp round. A double charge blows out the magazine well, shatters the grips and hurts. Many shooters go to a more bulky powder so it's not possible to get a double charge into a cartridge case.

Flash

Top Bottom