• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oohrah

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    Heart O' Texas
    I have a couple pair of 5.11 tactical pants, love all the pockets. A buddy of mine has a pair also.

So, what the heck is that canvas strap over the right back pocket for? We haven't a clue. Thanks.
    Guns International

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Can also be used for a climbing axe, or so I'm told.

By the way, I've been wearing TacLite Pros for years. In my previous job, I traveled and worked outside a lot as a DoD contractor. They were perfect for that! The Teflon coating was welcomed, especially combating spills while trying to eat in cramped airline seats; and they hold up extremely well! The pockets are always useful, and I have yet to have a pair rip or fail on me!

A funny story, about ten years or so ago I was on a tour of the FBI Academy in Quantico, VA; and the standard dress of the trainees was 5.11 TacLite Pro pants and polo shirts. Of course, that is exactly what I wore, and the entire time I was confused as being one of the trainees!

Another individual on the tour, a retired US Ambassador, was so impressed by the shirt and pants he bought a set at the FBI store and actually changed into them right away!

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    TacLite Pros are my favorite 5.11 pants, I picked up a pair of their Stryke pants for work last month - I like the TacLite Pro pants a bit more, because of the pocket configuration, but the Stryke pants are good too.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Soooo I just wanted to throw this on here, vs making a new thread.

Work hath issued me some very comfy pants that compete with the 5.11's on *comfort* - not necessarily utility, and they're cheap.

Galls Pro Tac Force Tactical Pants (a mouthful)

They're light weight, ripstop like fabric. I've only worn them for a few shifts but here's my initial impressions:

Comfort? Yep.
    Stretchy? A little - aids in comfort.
    Warm? Depends on body type - my impression, they'll be great in the hot part of the year when 5.11's feel too warm. Shorts are no-go at work, these will be terrific.
    Durability? Remains to be seen.
    Pockets? Not nearly as good as Tac Lite Pros, but not bad. They have cargo pockets on both legs, an open top pocket on the right similar to the 5.11's, plus your average normal size front and rear pockets. They also have secondary pockets up front with zipper closure, to keep important stuff from falling out.

I'm going to buy more - work is issuing me a couple pairs of them, but I'm now working in a hospital, so no more wearing work pants for two days in a row like I've done in other settings, if the pants didn't get soiled.

I can totally see using them as fishing / light weight hiking pants, unless they wind up not being terribly durable. I haven't had to get into any fights yet, so we'll see.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    I Had, stressing the Had, some of the Galls pants for a very short time. Fabric came apart just above my right knee, and the "Ripstop" didn't. I figured out real quick why they were sale/clearance items. Didn't bother asking for return/replacement as they just disappointed me too much. Probably just got a bad pair, but...

Tried some Tru-Spec, and have been wearing them since. About 5-6 years now without an issue.

Last edited:

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    That strap is great for spinning you around after it gets tangled in a door pull or similar too. Strongest part of those pants. I can’t stand them. Bought black bdus so I wouldn’t have to wear them

Cutting the strap off wasn't an option?

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    That strap is great for spinning you around after it gets tangled in a door pull or similar too.
    BTDT, managing to look like a complete idiot in the process.

It's a feature I don't like but it wasn't enough to make me look elsewhere. The deletion of the small slit pocket on the right thigh, though, has me looking for alternatives. That was my knife pocket and I really miss it.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    BTDT, managing to look like a complete idiot in the process.

It's a feature I don't like but it wasn't enough to make me look elsewhere. The deletion of the small slit pocket on the right thigh, though, has me looking for alternatives. That was my knife pocket and I really miss it.

Those cheap galls pants I mentioned above have that pocket. Its large enough to stuff a Galaxy 10 phone into.

Top Bottom