• Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I'm saving for a barrett that i plan to purchase around april, i figure i will end up with about $4500 tied up in the whole deal when said and done, maybe alittle more. Today I got to thinking for the same money I could probably get a couple suppressors and maybe a threaded pistol. What do you think, I would need to set up a trust so with that cost added how much could i get for the same cash. I know at 5 bucks a shot the .50 would have a lot of safe time.
    ARJ Defense ad

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Thought more details on what I'm considering mights help. A can for my Ar would be nice and a pistol/can in .40 or 9mm.

Chrs2fer23

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    El Paso,Tx
    I was thinking just what you said...."spend alot of time in the safe". For me...I would spend on something I can enjoy without saving up 3 months to shoot 1 hour. Now, if I win the lotto...thats a different story! With the Barret, you can say "look what I got!" and stick it back in the safe. With a couple suppresors and a new pistol and AR, you can say "Look what I got!" and go shoot it. Just my 2 cents.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Same challenge I'm into....the "CaveGuy" says BARRETT, the shooter says CAN. What sucks is that I'm at the point that the finances would let me play w/the Barrett regularly - but that'd leave a lot of .45's unadopted, so I'll likely get around to activatin' my GunTrust next year an' start addin' some toys.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Yup, hopin to get alittle more info on what i can get for that same 4500, I've shot suppressed before and loved it, but at the same time, IT'S A FRIGGIN' 50! Admittadly it will probably never see more than 300 yrds. But as i understand i can get different baffles for a can and use it for multiple calibers. My wife would enjoy the SD stuff alot more...

ChunkyMonkey

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    San Antonio, Tx
    Buy the Barrett, seen M99's going for 3400.....use the other 1100 to cover the "can" and tax stamp. This way you can play now, with your other baby in the safe. The save for the scope on the Barrett......I want an M99 so bad. Although I'd prefer to have a bolt action magazine fed Barrett......I just want a 50, lol.....

michael e

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2011
    Houston
    I want a 50 but hard to drop the money on a gun I wouldn't get to play with alot. But one day when I have everything else I will have a 50bmg .

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    when I saw the thread title I missed the or, so I thought it was .50 cal barrett pistol w/silencer. I was thinking "holy hell, I need to see this!"

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    I have a 50 BMG rifle. I shot it a lot more when I first got it. Now it's mainly for my buddies that have not fired one, and their friends. Living in Houston limits the places I can shoot it, so it's mainly at deer camp, and less than 100 yards. Fun to blow big holes in stuff, and make a lot of noise, but not for all day shooting. Can't remember the last time I put more than 10 rounds through it at one time. However if I lived where there were decent ranges, I would probably shoot it a lot more. Plinking ammo can be had for half what you are talking about. If you are just wanting it for the novelty of it, try one of the AR uppers that are out there for a lot less. They are not good guns to learn to shoot on long range on. You would be better served with a more mainstream rifle for that. Hard to beat for the "wow" factor when you pull it out of the safe.

BigBoss0311

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    McKinney, TX
    A .50. At 300 yards? Buy a tank and take it to a pistol range. Jeez. Go buy a few other toys instead. Shooting suppressed is one of the greatest pleasures out there. For 4500? Get a a few new toys and suppress them all.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I have a 50 BMG rifle. I shot it a lot more when I first got it. Now it's mainly for my buddies that have not fired one, and their friends. Living in Houston limits the places I can shoot it, so it's mainly at deer camp, and less than 100 yards. Fun to blow big holes in stuff, and make a lot of noise, but not for all day shooting. Can't remember the last time I put more than 10 rounds through it at one time. However if I lived where there were decent ranges, I would probably shoot it a lot more. Plinking ammo can be had for half what you are talking about. If you are just wanting it for the novelty of it, try one of the AR uppers that are out there for a lot less. They are not good guns to learn to shoot on long range on. You would be better served with a more mainstream rifle for that. Hard to beat for the "wow" factor when you pull it out of the safe.

The AR uppers are all for the .50 Beuwolf(sp) as I understand, it is exactly what som are looking for but for me its BMG all the way.

A .50. At 300 yards? Buy a tank and take it to a pistol range. Jeez. Go buy a few other toys instead. Shooting suppressed is one of the greatest pleasures out there. For 4500? Get a a few new toys and suppress them all.

I don't have to worry about finding a range because i got a 100 yrd set up that I can get about 200 out of if I get a few feet up to shoot over a fence, my berm is about 30' thick, sad thing is, I would mostly shoot at Dr Pepper bottles.

Buy the Barrett, seen M99's going for 3400.....use the other 1100 to cover the "can" and tax stamp. This way you can play now, with your other baby in the safe. The save for the scope on the Barrett......I want an M99 so bad. Although I'd prefer to have a bolt action magazine fed Barrett......I just want a 50, lol.....

My pricing was on an M99 kit, Going off one site which claimed it was hard to get them outside of the kit, I haven't done any price checking with a local ffl yet but thats not a bad plan.

I spoke with my wife earlier about it and her reply was unbelievable. " Maybe if we get some money back on our taxes you can get both." I don't think she has figured out when it comes to guns, if she gives an inch, I'll do my best to take 20 miles. If i do decide to go that route I may look into a serbu BFG 50 (I can think of one good thing BFG stands for) I think they run alittle under $2500, and spend the rest on cans. But at the same time, I could get a pistol and can, and build a suppressed 300 black out upper for my ar with would be real sweet, and maybe even get a can for the .223 upper. Would a .223 upper work on a .22. I am looking to get as much out of this as I can because I'm sure I won't be making many new gun purchases for a while after I drop this kind of change in one binge. Thanks for everyones advise, I'm starting to lean toward the quiet side.

ChunkyMonkey

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    San Antonio, Tx
    I've seen them from 32-3400....in fact TexasRedneck and i were looking at some last night. You can always resell and get investment. Fair to say they hold a value, LOL.

ChunkyMonkey

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    San Antonio, Tx
    Btw, my wife is they sane way thankfully. She got a bonus and said I could either pay off the motorcycle or buy my Barrett, no joke, LOL. I paid off the bike. She knows hoe bad I want the M99....she then said I could either sell the bike and buy the 50, or wait for tax season....thankfully she loves guns...shes awesome

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    The AR uppers are all for the .50 Beuwolf(sp) as I understand, it is exactly what som are looking for but for me its BMG all the way.

No, you don't understand, do some research. As I said, I have one and it's in 50 BMG, yeah the big one. Pick up a copy of Shotgun News, there are ads all in that thing for them.

Look at the top and bottom ones on this picture.

11618-50-cal-barrett-pistol-silencer-d462_5904_img.jpg

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    Go for the cans, I use them on my pistols all the time now. Do you really need a trust? Sherrifs in Hays and Travis will sign off on your paperwork and I never found it onerous to do as an individual. Trust money can pay to thread a few barrels :)

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    No, you don't understand, do some research. As I said, I have one and it's in 50 BMG, yeah the big one.

You seem pissed from my missunderstanding, from your first post you said you had a .50 bmg rifle and later said to look for an AR 15 upper. I had done quite a bit of 50 bmg reasearch because I don't plan on dropping that kind of money without looking at all my options, every AR upper that came up was in the .50 beuwolf which led me to believe that is what you meant when you said to try out an AR upper. I don't see what caused you to be offended in my post and if I missunderstood your reply I apologize.

Rottweiler

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    Hill Country
    I'm with Bigboss on this one. I REALLY wanted a .50 but them thought about where am I gonna be able to shoot it where I can see it's capabilities and true potential? I have a 600 yard range here at home and that barely makes it to what I'd consider .50 range. Shooting a .50 at short ranges is kinda like swatting flies with a 16 pound sledge hammer. Sure it kills the fly, but makes a helluva mess of the coffee table it was sitting on. If you dont have a good 1000+ yard range handy,Go supressed...a couple times ofer , you'll get more bang, ok I mean ....PFFFT, for your buck.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    anibal79
    Top Bottom