• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    All of my riding has been local stuff, a few hours a day. I an thinking of riding my Shadow 750 from DFW to South Texas next week. I am looking for opinions of riding vs trailering it, tips if I decide to ride, etc.
    Lynx Defense

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Except for the fact it's so hot, no reason not to ride it.
    I used to do 300 miles days just riding the back roads on my Sportbikes, but I always started very early.

Is the plan to get there & do more riding?

ZX9RCAM

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    So then you must be selling it, or leaving it there?

I mean, if you will be doing no more riding when you get there, why would you trailer it there?

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    I don't remember, do you have a windshield?

Keep hydrated and two wheels on the road.

You'll be stopping every 140 miles or so to fill up gas so that's about every two hours. Plan some good stops with A\C and something to do at each before hand and you'll have a better trip.

Take your favorite pain killer along. Suntan lotion especially for your hands if you don't have gloves or you'll get a good burn on the top.

Clothing, avoid cotton, there are a bunch of great moisture wicking shirt materials out there that will keep you cool. Cotton kills in the heat. Get a liner for your helmet or put a bandana on to catch the sweat. Easier to wash or change out the liner than your helmet.

Full face helmet have a tinted or reflective visor and a clear one. Open face sun screen and invest in some good goggles.

Know how to reach down and flip the reserve switch on the gas tank without looking.

ZX9RCAM

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Did not know that, I am from Kingsville, about 40 miles South of CC.
    Basically your call, but the heat will be a killer.
    Depends on how much you enjoy riding, I guess.
    Just be sure you are dressed up for going down.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Matefrio, yep I have a windshield. I prefer a tall one and have it. I also have floorboards on it. I have a Camel back hydration system, and I'll take that. I can pick up some good gloves.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    You can do the trip but you will have to beat the heat. While the speeds of I35 would be great, it is way too congested and very dangerous to be on it. I ran it last week and I decided that I'll take alternate routes for the DFW to CC trip from now on. The 77 route posted looks good.

Plan your stops and hydrate. Obviously since your mileage is limited by the tank. Liter of water per hour minimum as you sit in direct sun. Wear a full face, bright colored/reflective helmet if you have the option and crank the vents wide open. If you've got mesh/armored gear wear that. Keep your skin covered with a lightweight sleeved T. Maybe a swim shirt. Keep the sun off your skin.

It'll be a long day but you can do it.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Start at 5am and you'll do much better getting south of the DFW traffic and stay out of the heat.

Wise words. I do that on occasion and like the results of an early exit. I'm rolling up to CC around 1pm. Plus i've missed the congestion at the wrong times through Austin & SA.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Guys....really? 500 miles is a big deal? I've done more'n one thousand-mile day, an' even the better half has. When we're touring - an' that's 2-up w/a trailer behind us - our norm is 500 miles/day. Once used to it, not a big deal, really.

The suggestions above, along with a nice heavy sweatshirt, an' a cooler full of water strapped onto the passenger seat. Pull in for gas, yank the sweatshirt off, soak it in water an' toss back on - you WILL be cooler for a good 20-45 minutes, perhaps a tad longer. And as long as you're moving you won't otherwise notice the sweatshirt.

As to your routed - I'd drop down 281, cut across HWY 46 to 181, then on down to Corpus - gets ALL the major highways outta your route. Addtionally....we live about a mile south of 46 here in New Braunfels - so if you left at say 5 or 6, you'd be here just before the heat of the day. You could either layover until about 5 or 6 - or better yet, overnight and continue in the morning when it's cool and you've had a good nights' rest.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Yeah but TR you're superhuman. The rest of us mortals have to consider basic heat illness prevention for 100* temps and basic physiological function.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kennethreyes
    Top Bottom