• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    Want to plan a vacation for August. No hunting this time; goal is relaxation when we want it and adventure when we don't. SCUBA, fishing, etc. ok. Have looked at lots of places but want to make sure I'm not missing anything awesome. Budget is $5K for two people and 7–10 days. Got passports, and I'll go anywhere that's fun. Whatcha got?
    ARJ Defense ad

southtexaspilot

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    San Antonio
    Want to plan a vacation for August. No hunting this time; goal is relaxation when we want it and adventure when we don't. SCUBA, fishing, etc. ok. Have looked at lots of places but want to make sure I'm not missing anything awesome. Budget is $5K for two people and 7–10 days. Got passports, and I'll go anywhere that's fun. Whatcha got?
    Tulum and you'd be under budget. Kaui and it would be tight but could be done. I thought they were both great trips. If you do Tulum, you must go to xcaret xplore.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Tulum , Playa del Carmen.
    As stated, under budget.

Great resorts and packages.

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    Screw Mexico - if you want to stay in this hemisphere I say Costa Rica. The good diving is on the Pacific side. It will bust your budget, but consider a livaboard out to Cocos Island: http://www.underseahunter.com/

The diving isn't so good, but really good fishing out of Jaco and Quepos and you would be right next door to Manual Antonio National Park: http://crtour.info/manuel-antonio/manuel-antonio-national-park/

Otherwise go to the the NW side of the country as the Caribbean side of Costa Rice is dirty water and pretty much generally sucks. You can fly into Liberia, but I recommend flying to San Jose but I have friends there so I am biased (it is a great party town).

Which ever way you get there, be sure to spend some time in the Arenal Volcano area especially at Tabacon Hot Springs and Resort: http://www.tabacon.com/costa-rica-resort-thermal-springs-1.html

If you want to stay on the east side of this hemisphere, I say Little Cayman. Not Grand Cayman where the idiot crowds are, but Little Cayman - laid back and great diving. I wouldn't give you 2 cents for the rest of the Caribbean.

Edited to add: Don't ignore Panama either. Good diving and nightlife. Very friendly to us. Lots of US expats live there and the country has a very strong middle class. I would even consider living there.

Last edited:

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Tulum and you'd be under budget. Kaui and it would be tight but could be done. I thought they were both great trips. If you do Tulum, you must go to xcaret xplore.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

I would suggest Maui but it isn't cheap.

Leper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2008
    No scuba, fishing would be iffy, but you could buy a cheap bike and head to Sturgis. Just rent one. I guarantee you would have adventure.

Lipps

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2015
    Central Texas
    Kerala, India.
    Flight is expensive, but once you're there it's super cheap. Fly in to Kochi. Great food, great hotels, touring, fishing, shopping, Drink coconut totty's from a roadside totty tapper (totty is basically palm wine fermented inside the coconut up in the tree. A totty tapper is the guy that climbs up and fetches your totty). Visit Jew Town (really, that's what they call it) where jews living there date back to King Solomon's time. (they controlled the spice trade for a few centuries)
    British hill stations, tea plantations, etc.. Great beaches. Languages: English and Malayalam (most people in the big cities speak English, small villages is more limited.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    I forgot to add that we "attempted" to go snorkeling in one of the bays that the hotel staff said was awesome. It might be but do not try to get to it via walking into the water, take a boat. We wasted a half a day and had a cursing match with equipment rental assfucks at the Marriott Hotel. Best to take a guided tour.

Major Kong

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Katy
    Isla Mujeres, Mexico. Fly into Cancun and take a ferry to the northeast of Cancun.

Amenities are there where you want them, but you don't have the tourista crap you find in Cancun. And it's super inexpensive. At least it was last time I was down there in 1997.

Sent from a B-52 flying over Russia.

Top Bottom