• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gdr_11

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2014
    I am looking at purchasing a home in East Texas with 1 - 5 acres. In my price range this means a home built in the 60's or 70's that will require some updating. Many of these homes are full of paneling and wallpaper, both of which I hate. I am hoping someone is familiar with that era of construction and can give me best guess as to how common paneling over studs was done as opposed to installation over sheetrock. Before I buy I'd like to have a better idea of how much work will be involved and I would like to minimize using contractors.
    Hurley's Gold

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Paneling over studs is fairly common. It is usually easy to tell just by pushing on it.

Renovating that set up will cost you a bit more but may be better in the long run. This will allow you to inspect what is inside the wall and add insulation and more electric before you cover it up.

preyn2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Burnet
    And even if the paneling was glued over sheetrock, which I've seen, it's pretty easy to apply 1/4" sheetrock right over the top of that.

Or, if you REALLY hate it so bad that you want it completely out of your house, call your local fire academy, explain your problem, and ask if they're teaching a "Building Construction for the Fire Service" class any time soon, and would be willing to tear out your walls just to get a look at some construction. Worth a try.

Hanging sheetrock isn't difficult, nor is taping and floating...but there's an art to floating which I do not possess. If you hang the sheetrock, I'm positive there's guys that will do JUST the taping and floating for you. Again, you might stop in to your local fire station and see if there's any off-duty sheetrocking whores available.

Last edited:

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Both above posts are correct. Were it me, I'd put 1/2 sheetrock over the paneling and move on. Taping and floating is not hard to do .........It's just damn hard to make it look right unless you're in the business. Whatever you end up doing, don't forget about all the trim (door, window, baseboard, etc.) that you will have to deal with. Good luck.

ray22

Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Jewett
    I grew up in the construction trade and have remodeled 6 of my own homes. (In the middle of one now) Take it out. When trying to cover existing paneling your going to run into issues with outlet boxes needing to be moved out to fit flush with the profile of the new wall. Plus finding studs behind existing walls can wear on your nerves. As stated before it will give you the opportunity to inspect what's going on inside the wall. You can add/move outlets to fit your needs. 1/2" sheet rock is standard for homes and isn't that hard. Making the seams look right is where the time comes in.

On a side note, what part of east Texas are you looking at? I have a brother n law that is selling his home on 10 acres with a big shop. Really nice place with a lot of upgrades already done.

Govern wisely and as little as possible~Sam Houston

gdr_11

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2014
    Thanks for the info/suggestions. I am looking in a 30 radius of Athens; lost most of my retirement in the housing and stock market dump a few years ago, so budget is a big thing now. Not afraid of hard work, but never found the skills to do good finish work and am familiar with the costs involved. I plan on spending most of the dollars on kitchen and master bath work to make the mrs. happy, then a metal shop bldg if I still have enough. Have seen some nice mfg homes on good lots but can't make myself go there yet although it may end up there if I can't find the right place.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    zw150202
    Top Bottom