• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    65 years ago today the Enola Gay deployed an atomic bomb against the Japanese city of Hiroshima. This is a collection of stories that the survivors tell about experiencing being in an atomic blast:

This It How It Feels to Be Under a Nuclear Attack

Exerpt: "The whirlpool of fire that was covering the entire street approached us from Ote-machi. So, everyone just tried so hard to keep away from the fire. It was just like a living hell. After a while, it began to rain. The fire and the smoke made us so thirsty and there was nothing to drink, no water, and the smoke even disturbed our eyes. As it began to rain, people opened their mouths and turned their faces towards the sky and try to drink the rain, but it wasn't easy to catch the rain drops in our mouths. It was a black rain with big drops."
    Texas SOT

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    I guess they found out how our soldiers felt in Pearl Harbor that quiet morning in 1941.

None of this would have happened if a tiny island nation had not decided to attack the most powerful nation in the world. The strong survive.

Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    My hope is that Iraq will grow to love the United States as much as the Japanese do. I lived in Kyoto in the 80's, what a fantastic culture and friendly people. War is hell, no one is going to argue that point, but it's amazing that two former enemies like the United States of America and the Empire of Japan can come together after the fact and become friends.

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    I think the generations that came along after WWII were smart enough to see the bad decisions that were made on BOTH sides. Learning from your mistakes is a human trait that we don't seem to have much of any more.

texas skeeter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Somewhere here nor there....
    I guess they found out how our soldiers felt in Pearl Harbor that quiet morning in 1941.

None of this would have happened if a tiny island nation had not decided to attack the most powerful nation in the world. The strong survive.
    i couldnt have said better myself!! and one cant be mad when they "CHOOSE" to throw a rock at ya, and you throw a "BIGGER" one back!!!!

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I have had the opportunity to touch the fuselage of the Enola Gay while it was under restoration at the Garber Restoration Facility in Suitland/Silver Hill, Maryland.

I also had the same opportunity with Bock’s Car, the B-29 that delivered the second atomic bomb (“Fat Man”) on Nagasaki, while on display at the Air Force Museum at Wright-Patterson AFB in Ohio.

I additionally had the pleasure of working with then-Major (now Colonel) Paul Tibbets IV--grandson of the man who dropped the first atomic bomb on Hiroshima--when he was the 8th Air Force Executive Officer. Paul IV went on to command the 393rd Bomb Squadron at Whiteman AFB, one of two operational squadrons under the same unit his grandfather commanded, the 509th Bomb Wing.

I commend all the men that flew the atomic missions, as their efforts saved countless American lives by thwarting the need for an invasion against Japan.

Cheers! M2

Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    I believe the Enola Gay is still on display at the Udvar Hazy (sp) Air & Space museum in Northern Virginia. Great museum run by Northrop Grumman if any of you ever get the chance to visit it. It also has a space shuttle and SR-71 among other things...

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    The decision to drop the nuclear bombs upon Hiroshima and Nagasaki saved untold hundreds of thousands of lives, both American and Japanese. Thereby avoiding a landing upon the Japanese mainland. It is said that the bombings of Tokyo killed more people in total than the Atomic bombs. It is sad in retrospect that the Government of Japan and their militaristic Greater Asia CoProsperity Sphere Generals and Officials led their people who are a good, kind, civilian people, to such a catastrophy. But what is sown is like wise reaped.

Now for the kicker...Our enemy worldwise and apparently here in the US are the moslems who want to change the whole world into their Sharia Law, moslem type of state. Why for the love of GOD and decent humanity cannot they be nuked, napalmed, eradicated like rats in the corn crib ? Lying and denying is a third of their so called religion !

Perhaps some enlightenment : http://www.citizenwarrior.com/2010/07/three-things-about-islam-video.html

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    The bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki was successful on two fronts: First, it saved us from having to invade Japan, which would have taken millions of lives. Second, it gave the Americans and Soviets a very real picture of just what happens when you use atomic weapons. Though they both built up an incredible arsenal of nuclear weapons (and later so did the Chinese), they did not use them.

I worked with a guy who was a prisoner in Japan from Dec. 1941 until the end of the war. When they moved the prisoners to release them to the Americans, they happened to go through Nagasaki. He said the Japanese never mentioned an atomic bomb. The prisoners had heard of the firebombing of Dresden and assumed that was what happened at Nagasaki. It was one big, black charred mess.

I met one of the pilots of the Bock's Car at a gun show in Houston, bought a book he wrote, and talked to him for awhile. It was very interesting. While I was standing there, a steady stream of old veterans came by. Each one stopped and thanked him for delivering that bomb. Each said they had been fighting in the Pacific and 'knew' he would be killed if we invaded the Japanese homeland. It was big 'lump-in-the-throat' time.

WhoDat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Weird how, back then, nukes were just another type of bomb. My grandfather was in artillery, and retired in charge of Corporal missiles. To him, they were just another type of artillery... longer range, and with more bang. It would be nice if we never had to see another one used, but somehow I feel it's inevitable... :(

Scariest thing is that we let teenagers work on them!
    duke_nukem1..jpg ...

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    There is actually some debate as to what caused the Japanese to surrender in 1945. We have always assumed it was the bombs, yet the firebombing of Japanese cities in 44 and 45 killed far more people than the nukes did.
    What many feel was the final nail in their coffin was that the USSR finally declared war on Japan on the same day bomb #2 was dropped. They were poised to invade shortly thereafter. The japs knew that if the reds came in they would have a fate far worse than if the Americans came.
    An interesting perspective that may have some validity....

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    There is actually some debate as to what caused the Japanese to surrender in 1945. We have always assumed it was the bombs, yet the firebombing of Japanese cities in 44 and 45 killed far more people than the nukes did.
    What many feel was the final nail in their coffin was that the USSR finally declared war on Japan on the same day bomb #2 was dropped. They were poised to invade shortly thereafter. The japs knew that if the reds came in they would have a fate far worse than if the Americans came.
    An interesting perspective that may have some validity....

Interesting. Maybe they had heard how nice and cordial the Russians were when they invaded Berlin.

EDIT: does anyone ever wonder how things would be different if we'd used nukes in Korea. I remember reading that Gen. Macarther wanted to, but really don't recall the specifics.

WhoDat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Ha! Yeah, that's me in a Minuteman training Launch Control Facility. They didn't like us taking photos in the real facilities... note the peg board, in the background... LOL

I hope to God this world never gets crazy enough to use any of those things...

That's you in that picture? lol Great pic. :)

duke_nukem1..jpg

AcidFlashGordon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Interesting. Maybe they had heard how nice and cordial the Russians were when they invaded Berlin.

EDIT: does anyone ever wonder how things would be different if we'd used nukes in Korea. I remember reading that Gen. Macarther wanted to, but really don't recall the specifics.

Also, Curtis LeMay was in charge of Stratigic Air Command at that time and he was a bit of a "war monger" himself. He was all for bombing campaigns and as the commander of SAC, he had control of the nuclear arsenal. I don't think he'd have gone against the President's orders to not use nukes. The Russians were somewhat afraid of him, which is what ended the Cuban missile crisis. According to interviews with Sergei Khrushchev (Nikita's son), Nikita, and most of the Russian communist party at the time, thought Kennedy was a wimp and they could walk all over him (which they did). But once the Cuban incident started, LeMay got "all up in the Russians' face" and they backed off. According to Sergei, Nikita thought LeMay would actually go ahead and use nukes on them even if Kennedy said no. The Russians thought LeMay was "one crazy muthaf**ker."

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    setter1
    Top Bottom