APOD Firearms

Electric Vehicles here to stay, for good or bad?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    1711837074047.png

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    ev's have their place for some people unde certain conditions but it should be the consumer making theses decisions not the government mandating them!
    Once they get the battery technology figured out, I'm in. Right now, not so much. Those batteries are extremely heavy and take way too long to charge.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    They can get the battery technology right, get rid of range anxiety, get charging times down to 5 minutes, offer free battery replacement and I’m still a firm ”no” until they get rid of the connectivity and tracking. I see no benefit to me and only a crap load of downsides. How can peeps complain abt govt overreach regarding 2A yet embrace it with EV “if they get it right”. I just don’t understand. What am I missing? ICE is seeing this with GM and on star reporting bad driving habits to insurance companies ( true, do a web search on that topic) and I imagine it’s much more intrusive with the software centric EV. I hope I’m wrong, but that’s how I see it.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    I see an increasing number of EVs in the area north of Dallas every day. While able to handle daily commuting of short distances, I rarely see an EV on the highways once I'm more than an hour away from Dallas. As I frequently make drives of over 500 miles per day they would not be practical for trips like this. Adding the time at a charging station wouldn't be practical.

Lead Belly

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    Lake Conroe
    (Reuters) – Tesla has canceled the long-promised inexpensive car that investors have been counting on to drive its growth into a mass-market automaker, according to three sources familiar with the matter and company messages seen by Reuters.

The automaker will continue developing self-driving robotaxis on the same small-vehicle platform, the sources said.

The decision represents an abandonment of a longstanding goal that Tesla chief Elon Musk has often characterized as its primary mission: affordable electric cars for the masses. His first “master plan”, opens new tab for the company in 2006 called for manufacturing luxury models first, then using the profits to finance a “low cost family car.”

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    (Reuters) – Tesla has canceled the long-promised inexpensive car that investors have been counting on to drive its growth into a mass-market automaker, according to three sources familiar with the matter and company messages seen by Reuters.

The automaker will continue developing self-driving robotaxis on the same small-vehicle platform, the sources said.

The decision represents an abandonment of a longstanding goal that Tesla chief Elon Musk has often characterized as its primary mission: affordable electric cars for the masses. His first “master plan”, opens new tab for the company in 2006 called for manufacturing luxury models first, then using the profits to finance a “low cost family car.”

The guy "could" do it, he's assembled a lot of smart people. Hell, he can land a booster rocket on a platform in the ocean that is bobbing up and down, surely he can get a car made for cheap. He chose NOT to do it since there's not as much money to be made.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    The guy "could" do it, he's assembled a lot of smart people. Hell, he can land a booster rocket on a platform in the ocean that is bobbing up and down, surely he can get a car made for cheap. He chose NOT to do it since there's not as much money to be made.
    <>

There are basic physics problems with any ‘’rechargeable’’ (non quick change) battery vehicle for cross-country use. No amount of tinkering could ‘’fix’’ this. Then, add necessary resistance heating +/or A/C; it is just impossible.

This is even worse for OTR commercial trucks.

The folks doing these things know & understand these limitations; which tells me that this is all some subterfuge !

<>

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    I wonder how they would cut the costs to make a vehicle so much cheaper than their current offerings. Going from leather to cloth seats won’t really save a whole lot. Going from electric to cable door latches may knock off a couple thousand, but not sure how that would be received by their potential customers. They could probably make a FWD car instead of AWD, but can’t really save on the battery since their current cheapest vehicles can barely make it across Houston and back on a charge. I think what it really comes down to is that EV’s are just expensive to produce compared to ICE, and saying you’re going to make a cheap EV is easier said than done.

Top Bottom