Join TexasGunTalk

Electric Vehicles here to stay, for good or bad?

Discussion in 'Rants and Raves' started by HKShooter65, Jul 12, 2019.

1. HKShooter65

HKShooter65 Well-Known

About 10 people I know have recently bought Teslas.
    Tesla owners are becoming sort of a cult, proselytizing all the time.

Wishing to stay culturally literate, I went and test drove one today.

Jeeeeeezzus......
    0-60 MPH between 2 massive electric motors in the diminutive little Model 3 in 3.2 seconds is just an indescribable exhilaration. And that's their entry level sedan.

Think how fast the chuck on your cordless Milwaukee drill reaches full speed and you will get the idea.

Never mind that the thing costs almost exactly the same as a new Ford Raptor.
    It is amazing.

The still-to-come high end Tesla Roadster will do 0-60 in 1.9 seconds. Go 250 MPH and drive from Austin to to a Beto rally in El Paso without stoping once!! Oh. It's expensive.

Just about all the auto makers are about to introduce their respective versions.

2. HKShooter65

HKShooter65 Well-Known

Just a matter of time before we all plug in our Ford F150s before we crawl into bed?

3. Coiled

Coiled I'm full of sunshine & happiness

Nov 25, 2016
    Huntsville-ish
    Lol .. I'm certain you meant PC+.

4. SQLGeek

SQLGeek Vodak, The Choice of a New Generation TGT Supporter

Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    The acceleration on them is insane. The super charger infrastructure and long range had helped their staying power. There's no denying they are nicely appointed cars and their tech is pretty amazing.

Electric vehicles will remain a rich commuter's car though until they can meet and exceed the range of a Tesla in a much cheaper offering.

And charging needs to become as widespread and fast as a regular gas fill up.

rmantoo likes this.
  5. EZ-E

EZ-E III%er TGT Supporter

May 4, 2017
    Cypress
    You still have a battery to replace in 5 years & it won't be cheap. I know several people that bought a Prius. When the battery died it was 5k for the battery + labor if your not a do it yourself type. I'm not much on the whole electric cars yet. Especially when the US government & other countries gives million of dollars to Tesla in subsidies.

This all compares to Tesla reporting a $312 million profit for the third quarter. Subtract the $713 million in U.S. subsidies, and Tesla's results would be far weaker. Add in the international subsidies received from countries such as Norway, Sweden, The Netherlands and the U.K., and the situation would look even worse.

https://realmoney.thestreet.com/inv...in-product-isn-t-cars-it-s-subsidies-14769263

Ole Cowboy likes this.
  6. Bozz10mm

Bozz10mm TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Electric vehicles do have a lot of advantages over gas powered vehicles. They are much less complex. No oil changes or tune ups required. No transmissions to maintain or rebuild. Zero emissions, great acceleration and torque. Technology will eventually solve the battery replacement and range pitfall. I can picture, in 100 years or less, 100% self driving and electric vehicles on the road. What fun is that?

I don't think the infrastructure in it's current state could support a 100% conversion to electric. Maybe not even 50%.

rmantoo likes this.
  7. para_bellum

para_bellum Member

Jun 29, 2019
    Dripping Springs, TX
    A friend at work has one and I got to experience the acceleration, it is indeed amazing!

Subsidies are unlikely go away, the "climate change" religion allows convenient allocation of tax dollars.

By the time I'm old & grey I'm sure governments will be mandating EV use in order to save Mother Earth. I'll stick with fossil fuels as long as I can.

rmantoo, 308nato and Pops1955 like this.
  8. Kar98

Kar98 TGT Addict

Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    If battery powered cars made sense, they would have been successful the first time around.

bpB1w6u.jpg

To me it looks like they only make sense as commuter mobiles for the wealthy (house needed, second weekend car needed, office job with chargers in the parking garage needed), and the proles can go eff off and take the bus, but they can still pay the taxes that subsidize their bosses' electric cars.

9. oldag

oldag TGT Addict

Feb 19, 2015

No, not zero emissions. Where does the electricity come from to charge them? It ain't all wind power.

rmantoo, Big Dipper, Pops1955 and 3 others like this.
  10. oldag

oldag TGT Addict

Feb 19, 2015
    Drive a few hours and then wait over an hour while it recharges? {If you can find a place to recharge.}

No thanks.