7mm Mauser cleaning Q

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by goodfellas, Mar 25, 2009.

1. goodfellas

goodfellas Member

Mar 20, 2008
    San Antonio
    I have a 7mm Mauser (7X57) and could i run a .30 borsesnake trough it to clean it?

2. kingofwylietx

kingofwylietx Well-Known

Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    7mm is very close to .30, so I would think it would be just fine. It's not as precise a job as you may imagine. You're just running a cord with bristles on it through a hole. If it was me, I'd do it.

3. goodfellas

goodfellas Member

Mar 20, 2008
    San Antonio
    Thanks I thought so, just wanted some reassurance. It seems better than just running patches.

4. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I wouldn't, they make 7mm (.270) bore snakes that would be better suited. The .30 caliber brush is going to be really tight in that bore and may run a risk of eroding the crown with excessive use. Besides, patches will clean the bore properly themselves.

5. Pappy

Pappy Resident Septuagenarian

Feb 29, 2008
    Texas
    If the bore snake erodes the crown, then the chamber leade will also wear.

I'll say to get the proper size snake or correct cleaning rod tip for patches.

6. kingofwylietx

kingofwylietx Well-Known

Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    I went looked up the diameter of 7mm Mauser, it's .285. Hoppes shows them being different models in regards to 7mm/.270 vs. the .30 calibers.

Due to that, I wouldn't suggest doing it on a regular basis. However.....I'd do it if I didn't have the correct one. Then I'd get the right one as soon as possible.

7. 40Arpent

40Arpent TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Sorry to go a bit off-track here, but are you recommending not using brushes in general? I use brass brushes for cleaning all my rifled gun barrels...just wondering if I shouldn't be.

Thanks!

8. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I had used brushes, and bore snakes in the past, but honestly I find it to be overkill. I've seen rifles that were extremely dirty, with deposits all over the crown, that shot sub-MOA shot after shot.

I would cater the cleaning to the particular aspect of the gun. If it's an AR / AK platform that's just used for run and gun, then I'd use a brush, solvent, etc. and really clean it out. If it's a bolt rifle used for accurate work, then I'd stick to patches. Faster rounds will require a good copper solvent, stuff like .204 Ruger, .223 Remington, etc. Whereas the larger slow-boat rounds tend to have less build-up and require less aggressive cleaning.

.22s are another beast. You deal with alot of lead build-up so you need a proper lead solvent and a brush. Running copper washed bullets will help cut down on the cleaning cycle.

Like caliber, everyone is going to suggest something different, and a number of methods seem to work just fine. I personally believe in the minimal end of the spectrum in regards to cleaning.

9. 40Arpent

40Arpent TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Thanks Alan, your insight is appreciated.