Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Companies make a lower and submit it to ATF for determination. I guess the start with a complete lower and keep backing out features till ATF says OK. They then call it 80%.

Dive in here

https://www.atf.gov/qa-category/receiver-blanks

http://www.guns.com/2014/11/11/atf-issues-80-percent-receiver-clarification/

Thank you.

I believe the OPs question can be answered with those links then. He wanted proof that a 80% lower was legal, and that pretty much sums it up. As long as it has a serial number when finished, I don't see how someone could claim it's illegal to own one once finished.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Thank you.

I believe the OPs question can be answered with those links then. He wanted proof that a 80% lower was legal, and that pretty much sums it up. As long as it has a serial number when finished, I don't see how someone could claim it's illegal to own one once finished.

It does not need a SN to be legal, and since it is not made by a FFL the SN is meaningless anyway.

I am in the process of making a Mattel Lower, I will use the patent number of the M-16 Marauder as SN.

jeepinbanditrider

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Dallas
    A guy on ARFCOM built a replica of the M16A2 he was issued in the first Gulf War using an 80 percent lower, right down the S/N on the original rifle. Really neat.

Hickeroar

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2016
    This is pretty interesting stuff. I wonder how this changes if an AWB is in place. Would you still be able to complete your own personal lower or would the 80% lower itself become illegal at that point? Great link, Renegade.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    This is pretty interesting stuff. I wonder how this changes if an AWB is in place. Would you still be able to complete your own personal lower or would the 80% lower itself become illegal at that point? Great link, Renegade.

An "AWB" could include anything. Without an actual bill to read, one could only speculate on what an "AWB" would or would not include.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    If possesion were to be banned, it would be illegal to build your own from 80%.. If sales were banned, build from 80% might be the only way to get one.
    Since 80% is not considered a firearm, do you need to go thru an FFL to purchase from an LGS or online? May have answered my own question there.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    If possesion were to be banned, it would be illegal to build your own from 80%.. If sales were banned, build from 80% might be the only way to get one.
    Since 80% is not considered a firearm, do you need to go thru an FFL to purchase from an LGS or online? May have answered my own question there.

Nope.. ship it to your door by the case load if you like.

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    No FFL required

Top Bottom