• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pmcbear04

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Pensacola, FL
    Been perusing through ebay and craigslist at the M1008s and M1009s.. they look like such solid trucks, but just wanted to see if anyone here has any firsthand experiences with them.
    Pros and cons would be appreciated.

Bear
    (displaced Texan in N.C. for the USMC)
    Venture Surplus ad

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    6.2l gm diesels. Those are hard on belts, water pumps and injector pumps.

I know over time they have a balance problem and a main bearing problem

chubbyzook

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    houston
    my dads had like 6 of them since ive been alive. the one he has now hasnt run in years but it towed a 35' yacht for like 12 years almost every weekend

Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    They're OK if unmodified. They have a split 12/24 volt electrical system that has usually been messed with. The rest of the truck is fairly solid. The M1009 is geared too tall (3.08 axle gears) while the rest have insane 4.56 gears and genuine Detroit Lockers in the rear.
    The 6.2L is the weak link. However, a 4BT Cummins can bolt right in from the right donor vehicle.

Eli

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I always heard those 80's GM diesels were anemic though.
    Hell yeah many of those things were anemic. I remember considering one of the M1008's because they seem like a rock solid SHTF beater truck, but they only make 155hp NEW. An old beat up one is probably more like 100-120hp. ;) Might as well buy an old Blazer or Chevy truck of the same era, or buy one of these M1008 or similar military trucks and swap a Chevy 350 gas engine in, but that may be more work than it's worth.

cconn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 5, 2009
    Hemphill
    The nice thing about the M1008 is the axles the trucks come with. They have Dana 60 front and 14 bolt rear, and these are about the most bullet proof truck axles made. Gears are 4.56 and mine has lockers front and rear. I have an 85 M1008. The 6.2 diesel is weak and parts are expensive. I pulled the diesel out and dropped a 350 in it. 6 inches of lift and 37 inch Super Swampers make a hell of a beater woods truck.
    DSC00532.jpg

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    Hell yeah many of those things were anemic. I remember considering one of the M1008's because they seem like a rock solid SHTF beater truck, but they only make 155hp NEW. An old beat up one is probably more like 100-120hp. ;) Might as well buy an old Blazer or Chevy truck of the same era, or buy one of these M1008 or similar military trucks and swap a Chevy 350 gas engine in, but that may be more work than it's worth.

Well said. Put a 350 in it and be done with it. Theres a reason why gm went with the Duramax, because the ford 7.3l international and Dodge 5.9l cummins blew it out of the water. If I was going to do something like this. I'd do what Sig says buy an old k series chevy/gmc blazer and or gmc truck. I went the cummins route and never looked back. Very nice truck Ccon! They dont make them like they use to.

Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    The CUCV had a different, more powerful 6.2L than the regular C/K trucks. In addition, they've oftentimes been 'tweaked' with HMMWV non-emission injector pumps.

Eli

cconn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 5, 2009
    Hemphill
    And as I understand it have different axles/drivetrain components? much heavier duty than a regular Chevy Truck?

They are actually classified as 1 1/4 tons. Have heavier springs, and the same axles as a one ton. Normal 3/4 ton vehicles come with one ton rear axles, but 1/2 ton front axles. The M1008 has one ton axles front and rear, Turbo 400 automatic transmission. All of them come with Detroit lockers in the rear but the fronts are usually open. I pulled the front Dana 60 out of a M1008 type Command Vehicle that had a locker in it.

guy lemmond

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    paris texas
    look at gov.liquidation.com for surplus vehicles.. they buy from the govt and sell on the net.
    you would need to go look at a specific vehicle some have had parts robbed at military motor pools.

Top Bottom