• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pixel5

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    Friend who is waiting on hers called yesterday and that is what we are looking at right now. That is ridiculous. I mean get some dang temporary hires in to help with the load, come on. That means I'm looking at the end of April before I get mine.
    Gun Zone Deals

newguy4104

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Northeast of Dallas
    Aside from the results from a pregancy test, waiting for your CHL is the longest wait of your life. I waited around 60 days however a co-worker of mine has his in hand within two weeks of his packet arriving, so who knows. Either way, good luck and here's to speedy results!

PettyOfficerUSN

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    Houston, TX
    sent mine october 19. because i had submitted a package in 2011 and forgot to do the course and send in my stuff. so 30 days later i call and the lady tells me she cant see anything new. to just wait. well, on the 60 day mark a woman looked and told me that there was an issue because my last package was out dated. redirected me to a guy who helped me out alot. he gave me his personal email, sent him my recent documents from the range and instructor, and pulled my prints from the file that was just there. floating nowhere fast. so now, from dec 19....im still waiting on the fbi to complete my background check. thou i feel any honorably discharged vet should automatically get a CHL without paying for anything, including the course. thats JMO

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    You people realize it consumes THEIR resources to answer phone calls? Last week over seven thousand (7,000) people applied to renew a license.

A little patience will help everyone...:peace:

Also, DPS CHL division was just authorized to work overtime and hire temps to help.

Also keep in mind that DPS put on several new Instructor Schools this past year, and all current instructors had to renew in 2013 as well. They are stretched mighty thin.

Also keep in mind that under the Government Code DPS has 90 days from the date they receive a COMPLETED application to issue, deny or advise you they need more time.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Also keep in mind that under the Government Code DPS has 90 days from the date they receive a COMPLETED application to issue, deny or advise you they need more time.

Any idea how much impact, if any, does longevity as a Texas residence have on the time of the process? IIRC, mine was 28 days from mail in to receipt, but have been a resident for 63 years, and have had a TDL for 57 of those. IOW, does this particular background check perhaps take longer for those who have had residencies in one or more states, and could that be a factor?

pixel5

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    Any idea how much impact, if any, does longevity as a Texas residence have on the time of the process? IIRC, mine was 28 days from mail in to receipt, but have been a resident for 63 years, and have had a TDL for 57 of those. IOW, does this particular background check perhaps take longer for those who have had residencies in one or more states, and could that be a factor?

I'm not sure, but if it has anything to do with the number of addresses you've lived at in the last 5 years, I could 10 years older before I get my CHL. I am 25 and lived in like 6 different places throughout college and shortly after. Not to mention having 5 different jobs.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX

I imagine waiting for other states to respond to requests for information could delay the license. Makes sense.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I'm not sure, but if it has anything to do with the number of addresses you've lived at in the last 5 years, I could 10 years older before I get my CHL. I am 25 and lived in like 6 different places throughout college and shortly after. Not to mention having 5 different jobs.

Since DPS has to physically send a "designee" into each county where you lived for 5 years, I think too, could probably be a factor.

Noodleroo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2014
    Rockport, Tx
    I just got mine in the mail on Friday Jan. 24th and they received everything on October 30th - so that was just a week under 90 days. I called after 60 days and they told me that there were approximately 100,000 in progress at that time. The shorter CCL class time has apparently increased their workload and they had no idea it would slow them down this much. They said that if they had hired an extra 50 people, it still would have not been enough. I can only imagine that the wait will only get longer and longer.

georgec

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2013
    Bay City, Tx
    Sure glad I did mine in August had mine back in around 30 days. Still seemed like it took forever couldn't imagine having to wait 85 days.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Log onto the website 16 times a day to check the status and be sure to check your mailbox a dozen times a day to be on the safe side. That's what my daughter seemed to do.

In the mean time, go ahead and strap on your holster and start carrying it around empty to start getting used to things. Nothing illegal about carrying a holster that's empty.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    105 days for my initial 5yrs ago, y'all stop your whining ;)

Sure glad I did mine in August had mine back in around 30 days. Still seemed like it took forever couldn't imagine having to wait 85 days.
    For an initial? If so that's smokin' fast!

georgec

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2013
    Bay City, Tx
    Yes it was initial. We all paid a little more and sat in class a little longer but knew if we waited till after September when they cut the price and hours there was going to be a back up. Seems like everyone that waited on September has had a long wait. There was several of us in the class that were friends and we all got ours back within about four or five weeks.

pixel5

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    Yes it was initial. We all paid a little more and sat in class a little longer but knew if we waited till after September when they cut the price and hours there was going to be a back up. Seems like everyone that waited on September has had a long wait. There was several of us in the class that were friends and we all got ours back within about four or five weeks.

Lucky dog, but I guess you paid for it. Like an option 'express service' option. I might have paid it myself.

Well I get my IWB holster today and I already have my gun, so I get to stare at both of those for the next 80 days.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Yep, the wait time has gone from 65-70 days for those, like myself, who submitted the first week in October, to 85-90 days for those that submitted in the last week of October. I have lived in the same place for 10 years, no criminal background, Army Vet, and it took 69 days mail box to mailbox. They are swamped with renewals and new applications. Seems like renewals go a little quicker. Mine was a new app.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    back in the day, if you had your current Texas CHL, you send a check for $14 to the Centre County PA Sheriff and get a 5 year licsnce in about 15 days by mail that was good for 5 years on Texas

I did it when BHO first got elected and DPS was running way behind on renewals.
    That way you could still carry in Texas with the PA Permit, but I think PA changed their rules on issue and that is no longer an option

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2012
    Houston
    When I last renewed in 2012 it was 28 days mailbox to mailbox. I think the delay now is the shear number of applications. DPS probably hasn't hired anymore personnel to handle the addition applications so it takes longer. Be patient though, it is totally worth it.

Top Bottom