870 Police for general defensive duties, with or without extension?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    What do you think? I know the big downfall of shotguns is their capacity so that makes me think "go with the extension". Then i think of that being another part to fail or fail to feed and i think "go with the 4+1".

Edited to add: how is $550 for a used model that looks new?

What say you?

Last edited:

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    The 870 is a fine shotgun. I run a Mossberg 500 with extended tube, surefire forend and sidesaddle and a sling. I also have a knox recoil reducing stock on mine. Took it to a school and shot 00 buck and slugs all day and it was great.

I would have no problem with an 870.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    The 870 is a fine shotgun. I run a Mossberg 500 with extended tube, surefire forend and sidesaddle and a sling. I also have a knox recoil reducing stock on mine. Took it to a school and shot 00 buck and slugs all day and it was great.

I would have no problem with an 870.
    Agreed! Can't beat an 870. $550 may or may not be a good price depending on exactly which model 870 and what it's got on it.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    My home defense 12 gauge 870 with factory extended magazine tube cost $259 out the door in '06. Since our .gov says we've had negligible inflation for the last ten years, I figure anything over $300 could be a tad high. Then again, I'm not a lawyer or an economist, nor have I ever stayed at a Holiday Inn Express.

The owner's manual for that shotgun did not have a section how to disassemble it with the factory magazine extension affixed. Called Remington, and they told me to either send it to them (What? I wanted to disassemble it myself) or take it to their warranty shop in Austin. Got to Austin, and the 'smith sniffed, snorted, and grunted: "Sorry, I've never seen that setup before ... not covered under warranty."

Should have consulted YouTube before I ever called Remington. The solution was there before I ever left home!

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I appreciate the input. This is the police model and it does have some differences over the express/home defense models.

I am considering going the cheaper route as i do not think the police model is $200 better. (thats a huge debate i know)

Top Bottom