Lynx Defense

9 mm reload question....I think I know the answer already....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Okay folks - got a question here. Those of ya what know me know I'm no fan of the 9mm, but I got a question from a buddy new to reloading:

"Doesn't seem to matter. When I do an eject of a live round the factory are easy to eject but a lot of my hand loads seem jamed or tight and are hard to eject. I'm using 231 n tite(group) about 4.2 to 4.8 grs with a 180 jhp"

Here's MY question - since I don't reload 9mm, I glanced at his email on my blackberry, and thought "that sounds like overpressure".....when I looked at my loading manuals tonight, not only is it looking more and more like overpressure - the projectile weight is COMPLETELY off the charts of ANY 9mm round I could find reference to! I've tried to call him, but he's apparently already hit the hay, so I left a voice mail (and have emailed him), telling him to NOT shoot any more of those loads until he and I talk.

Am I right on this? Any of you that reload 9mm's have any kind of guess as to what round he might be trying to load?!???:1zhelp:
    ARJ Defense ad

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    180 grain JHP?!!

That doesn't sound right.

I wouldn't shoot it in MY gun. . or any one I was holding.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    That's a direct cut-and-paste (with a coupla spelling typo's corrected) of what he sent me, Chris! I can't even FIND a round listed for 9mm at that weight, which is why I messaged him so urgently. He's new enough to all of this to not see any "alarms" on loads, but I sure did when I saw the charge he was stuffin' in there of 231....

Leadpot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    Ballinger,Tx.
    I never saw a 180 gr. bullet in none of my manuals either. My latest manual is from 1996 . Need to update my manuals anyway. But from what you posted about factory ejects fine ..but not his reloads..Can only mean one thing. You're right to tell him not too shoot anymore of those loads. I don't reload for 9's either but would hate to hear of bad accidents happenning to anyone here.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    They don't even make a 180 gr. bullet, and if they did you couldn't fit 4.0 grains of anything in the case. The 147 gr. bullets are already taking up half the case volume.

Besides, he says it's a live round, which doesn't say overpressure, it says his sizing die isn't setup properly or he's not getting a taper crimp on the brass or the OAL is too long.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Yeah - thing is, mebbe that they won't chamber is what's kept him alive. Thanks for the feedback - will let ya'll know what I find out once we talk. Obviously, there's SOMETHING amiss - just gotta figure it out, and wanted to be sure that I wasn't in error on what my manuals said.

TxEMTP69

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    They don't even make a 180 gr. bullet, and if they did you couldn't fit 4.0 grains of anything in the case. The 147 gr. bullets are already taking up half the case volume.

Besides, he says it's a live round, which doesn't say overpressure, it says his sizing die isn't setup properly or he's not getting a taper crimp on the brass or the OAL is too long.

They do make a 180gr bullet, just nor for a 9mm. I beleive that is a 40 cal bullet

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Yeah - and that's what scarin' the hell outta me....subsequent emails reveal that he MAY be wrong on the bullet weight - we'll see. Just nothing I saw in his inital question gave me ANY kinda "warm an' fuzzy" feeling....

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    He's bringin' it all by sometime this week so we can check things out....until then, he's not gonna even try to chamber one of 'em. I think my graphic description of an overloaded/wrong round got his attention....

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    When I initially saw '180 gr' I immediately thought, is he loading up a .40 cal bullet in a 9mm case? Perhaps ask for a pic of the loaded rounds?

It would crush the case when you tried to seat the bullet.

He's wrong on the grain weight ... one of the dies is not setup properly.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    With enough flare on the case, I bet it would go in, a 40 into a 9mm case I mean. I doubt it would fit in the chamber.

There is a 180 gr bullet for the 357 magnum. Bullet diameter is .357 or .358 as opposed to .355 for 9mm. I bet that is what he did. Where he got the load info who knows. That round would chamber in a 9mm I bet.

randmplumbingllc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    El Paso
    With enough flare on the case, I bet it would go in, a 40 into a 9mm case I mean. I doubt it would fit in the chamber.

There is a 180 gr bullet for the 357 magnum. Bullet diameter is .357 or .358 as opposed to .355 for 9mm. I bet that is what he did. Where he got the load info who knows. That round would chamber in a 9mm I bet.

I agree. SOMETHING is wrong here, either in the description of components, caliber being loaded or something. And NO, he is not trying to load a .40 S&W in a .9mm case. It would be quite clear by the way the round looked, even IF you could flare the .9mm case enough. I am with you and vote for the 180 grn. .357 bullet. I bet the round would still look funny, swollen ?

robocop10mm

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    The 180gr .358 bullet would not go into the case far enough to fit in a magazine. Either he is wrong about the bullet weight or has NO clue what he is doing. .358 bullets in 9 X 19 guns are a recipe for disaster. Pressures will get very high as the bullet is swaged down to a .355 bore. .003 may not sound like much but that is HUGE in firearms.

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    The 180 gr. bullets went past me but the reloading manuals plainly show the proper length totally when loaded for 9mm bullet weight. I have loaded and fired hundreds of 9mmLuger rounds but my bullets are 124gr. and I use 5 grains of the old time Bullseye gunpowder and have fired them in a Walther P-38, Tauris PT-99, and a Kel Tec PF-9 with absolutely no problems, both full jacketed and jacketed hollow points. Have your friend order standard bullet weights and refer to a repubitable (sp?) reloading manual for powder charge weight and total length after reloading....

Top Bottom